advanced bios settings help

Actually in the FreeBSD computer world there are now two F2's at boot!
The one you are seeing is FreeBSD F2 from boot0cfg(8).

You need to hit F2 earlier in the process. Some boards still use DEL or F2 so keep that in mind.
The best chance of catching the bios before booting to boot0cfg is from a cold start.
Reboots on some are harder to get to BIOS.
Basically listen for the beep. That is sometimes too late. Look at the screen. Some OEM'er do hide/mask it.
Tap the F2 gently every 1 to 2 seconds. Not rapid.

Regarding why you need to enter the BIOS, is this regarding Optimus?(dual intel/nvidia video)
Because on newer boards the video is never really 'disabled'.
As long as its built into the cores FreeBSD will find it.
Example:APU2 is headless serial only box. I can show you dmesg that would shows it has video output.
So unless no video on cores then you need to address by the OS to truly disable.
BIOS setting are more for Windows Optimus driver. Directs it which display to use for Windows.
Ive been trying everything to get xorg to use the nvidia card because the log file shows it finds 2 primary pci gpus and its using the intel one. When i say to use the nvidia one xserver fails saying no screen found.

Yes and that is where you need to be working on the problem. I figured I would save you some time.
You can not disable the video. You can only direct Xorg to the proper output device. That might take some experimentation.

Yes and that is where you need to be working on the problem. I figured I would save you some time.
You can not disable the video. You can only direct Xorg to the proper output device. That might take some experimentation.

Ive been modifying rc.conf loader.conf xorg.conf.d/nvidia-driver. Am i missing something?

desktop bios

Would you mind not calling your Optimus laptop a desktop? And stick to one thread per issue maybe?

When i say to use the nvidia one xserver fails saying no screen found.

That's completely correct because your Nvidia card is not connected to your notebook's display. If you want to use it, you'll have to run 2 Xorg servers in parallel (with different configs for Intel and Nvidia) and copy rendered images from one Xorg server to another for displaying. See https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/OptimusVideoSupport.

Would you mind not calling your Optimus laptop a desktop? And stick to one thread per issue maybe?

That's completely correct because your Nvidia card is not connected to your notebook's display. If you want to use it, you'll have to run 2 Xorg servers in parallel (with different configs for Intel and Nvidia) and copy rendered images from one Xorg server to another for displaying. See https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/OptimusVideoSupport.

i installed the port like it said and nothing changed. I tried to search on how to run xservers in parallel but I don't see anything. The wiki you sent said to install the port and nothing else. Are there instructions somewhere? should I do the old approach?

As far as I can see only the first 3 steps of the "Old approach" are obsoleted by the "New approach". The fourth step would need some correction, nvidia-driver no longer replaces libGL.so.1 symlink, but rather it provides a config file for ld-elf.so.1 in /usr/local/etc/libmap.d/nvidia.conf.

thanks. How do you find this information?

I dont know how to find this stuff. I try googling things but I must be searching the wrong topics.

Back