KDE Plasma 5

Hello,

sorry, I don't forget to test plasma5 on FreeBSD, but before this procedure I want
- to write a HowTo for using desktop-installer,
- to compare FreeBSD with DragonFlyBSD refering to my needs as user of desktop system
- to solve some issues (crash of k3b, soundkonverter ...)

Kind regards,
Holger

Hello,

sorry for my long absence, I've to do a lot of work the last months, (old house, job etc) and as a German it was a little bit easier for me to get familiar with FreeBSD on german bsdforen.

I've learned a lot of things around FreeBSD (since some weeks I build my own local repo with ports-mgmt/poudriere, meanwhile I'm a friend of zfs, have started a documentation for installing FreeBSD as a Desktop system, at the moment it is a framework with some content, but step by step it grows).

Is here an interest anymore for building plasam5, installing and using it? Or would it be a better idea to open a new thread about current plasma5 stuff?

Kind regards,
Holger

I am more or less watching on #kde-freebsd and there is a problem to port PIM due to it moving on from Webkit to WebEngine, what is not building on FreeBSD and need a lot of work to do so. And, decisions should be made. Basically:
  1. create a patch to make KDE4 PIM work with KDE5;
  2. drop KDE PIM (at least until it be ported);
  3. patch KDE PIM to use Webkit;
  4. make WebEngine build in FreeBSD.
The only NOT hard solution seem to be the 2.

Unfortunately, I do not code and so I cannot help on this matter. :(

EDIT: there are other problems but those are normal problems and are being solved each day.

Cheers! :beer:
LBdM.

Hello,

okay, KDEPIM is not ready for plasma5 yet, but I've to admit, that I've ignored all KDEPIM stuff since some tries to use it with KDE4. KDE3 kmail was a fast Mail Client but under KDE4 my experiences with kmail were not good. Waiting for get mail, waiting, waiting .... in the same time - using mail/claws-mail - I've read those mails (using fast internet connection vdsl-50 of german t-online). Sometimes it was not possible to open kmail, without removing a service instance with akonadi and so on ...

Maybe I'll give KDEPIM another try, when it is ready to use with plasma5 :)

Apart from KDEPIM stuff - the standard FreeBSD systems (of my wife and me) based on a solid KDE4 Destktop Environement, enriched with firefox, claws-mail. libreoffice, audacity, easytag ...

My local poudriere repos (one build with branch/2017Q1+plasma5 ports from area51, one build with head+plasma5 ports from area) contains complete plasma5 stuff, which depends on meta package x11/kde5 and further applications we use on our desktop systems. I've installed from 2017Q1 based local repo a FreeBSD on a separate zfs dataset on my notebook and on my desktop computer for testing it, a further installation with head based repo follows soon.

My first impressions are good - compared to plasma5 on arch based Antergos the performance could be somewhat better, but I guess this will be better with updating drm + drivers to linux 4.6. Okay, both machines have integrated Intel graphic chips, with Nvidia card the performance might be better.

Kind regards,
Holger

I used KDE for years but never anything KDE PIM. For e-mail I like mail/trojita.

I am using i3 now and I do not know what are the versions of the packages on Area51 now, however it seem they are working on a update, but it have some problems with Qt5 5.8-5.9 what also will come to ports soon.

When emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions is installed, there's a problem with the DE as shown in screenshots at https://gitter.im/BSDs/FreeBSD?at=58d427914ec6efa730520759 – the panel becomes invisible, and menus from the panel are discoloured (compare with the shot at https://gitter.im/BSDs/FreeBSD?at=58cf064a4ec6efa73051b823 – that's how the panel appears whenever I remove VirtualBox guest additions).
… decisions should be made. …

For any title that works with KDE Plasma 4 but not 5: I guess that users have the option of 4 in a jail. True?

Hello,

I've installed current plasma5 and kf5 stuff, build with head + area51 ports - including patch for devel/icu to get utf8 compatibility - on my Fujitsu Livebook.

It works fine, the performance is okay.

For any title that works with KDE Plasma 4 but not 5: I guess that users have the option of 4 in a jail. True?
I'll have a look on it today evening, my notebook isn't ready for building with poudriere.

Kind regards,
Holger

Hi,

I've not forgotten my promise to test emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions but I've trouble with a fresh installed FreeBSD in virtualbox when activating the built of kernel drivers with this additions (get kernel panic and a restart of the virtaul machine). I've to find out the reason of this behavior first.

Kind regards,
Holger

Plasma 5 correctly installed and working properly, =D

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2017-04-13 at 15.43.55.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-04-13 at 15.43.55.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 522
  • photo5152207962322872244.jpg
    photo5152207962322872244.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 438
I saw today on #kde-freebsd they are just starting to look to port webengine, what is needed for the new PIM. However it is not looking good, zillion of symbol errors. :eek:

A little bit OT:
its not possible to activate vboxservice on my FreeBSD guest without getting a kernel panic - sorry, but currently its not possible for me to test correct transparency with emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions :(

But, is there an interest to get a Howto "Building a local plasma5 repo with poudriere"? Its a part of raw version of my documentation "FreeBSD on a desktop". Well, there are a lot of gaps - and - I've to translate from german to english but that should not be an obstacle.

Apart from that, here comes a snapshot, made with spectacle of my plasma5 desktop :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170414_061314.png
    Screenshot_20170414_061314.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 494
nd to confirm, I've just built a Plasma 5 desktop on top of HardenedBSD CURRENT

Is it an improvement? I'm interested because plasma is painfully slow for me, and it doesn't mix with some KDE applications very well. Hopefully they've got a grip on that, which is why I'm extremely interested.

Is it an improvement? I'm interested because plasma is painfully slow for me, and it doesn't mix with some KDE applications very well. Hopefully they've got a grip on that, which is why I'm extremely interested.
My local report is built ca. two weeks ago, using head and current plasma5 stuff from area51. The desktop runs under my computer with haswell architecture. The performance is good, an Antergos with current plasma5 on same machine is only a little bit faster. I am impressed that this gpu architecture is supported now so good, a year ago it was not possible to run FreeBSD without adding a Nvidia card.

virtualbox-ose-additions

When emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions is installed, … panel becomes invisible, and menus from the panel are discoloured …

… not forgotten my promise to test emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions

With the virtual machine that I originally used:
  • I no longer have the issue with the panel or menus
  • the shared clipboard does not work
  • changes of resolution do not occur when the guest window is resized.
X

With a more recent virtual machine based on https://github.com/swills/area51.vagrant/blob/master/Vagrantfile I have not yet got X to start without a segmentation fault.

In ircs://chat.freenode.net/#kde-freebsd I received advice, which I'll follow in due course.

Can you tell us HOW ?
btw[on HDD] (no virtualized)
tia !

Hello,

I can tell, how I get a proper current plasma5 desktop environement. I'm sure there are some different possibilities to get such desktop.

1) Using poudriere to avoid issues with dependencies for plasma5 and current FreeBSD installation and building my own local repo
2) Using a manual setup of root-on-zfs installation with some datasets for parallel testing installations

If someone wants to know, what I've done, please give me a hint, then I'll translate the subchapter "Plasma5 on FreeBSD" of my documentation from german to english and will upload here.

Kind regards,
Holger

THX a lot homie , i need asap you documentation no matter if it is in German !
Sure? Okay, but please keep in mind that this is a raw version with a lot of gaps and if something goes wrong, it is not my fault.

When I've more time, and when the german version is "Ready-to-use", I'll translate it step by step in english.

Attention: With switching to github my chapter for building plasma5 is outdated, please don't use it, and look here:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/47280/page-3#post-354386

Attachments

• 2017-05-03_FreeBSD-auf-dem-Desktop.pdf
    160.1 KB · Views: 895
Last edited:
It seems they already ported webengine, what was the biggest problem. I do not know if it is already stable but a lot of process happened, certainly.

For who eventually are distracted the KDE5 ports are now in here. It currently contains the entire official ports tree + kde5, and so it is possible to swap the official one for that. The packages still in the same place but do not contain pkgs of the entire ports tree.

To use the new KDE5 ports with poudriere, as it is stored on github, it seems ports-mgmt/poudriere-devel is needed.

It (also) seems x11/sddm needs some love too. It is working already, but relying on passwd due to the need of still having porting it to OpenPAM (from Linux PAM). I am not involved in the project but I know they would appreciate some help for that. :)

EDIT: I am creating a x11/sddm theme to substitute this x11/slim one I use (but based on the official logo): Thread 11017. Almost done already. :D

Cheers! :beer:

Place of plasma5 sources has changed, as lebarondemerde has written. I've build my local repo in following steps:
1. Installing ports-mgmt/poudriere-devel
2. Creating a jail:
Code:
poudriere jail -c -j 110release -v 11.0-RELEASE -a amd64
2. Fetching the ports tree:
Code:
poudriere ports -c -p plasma5 -m git -B plasma5 -U https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports-kde.git
3. Creating a /usr/local/etc/110release-plasma5.txt (see uploaded example file and modify it for your needs)
4. Building the local repo:
Code:
poudriere bulk -f 110release-plasma5.txt -j 110release -p plasma5
5. Setting up a parallel FreeBSD 11.0 Release basis system and running freebsd-update to get an up-to-date system (with zfs and a further data set for new system this is very easy)
6. Installing xorg, plasma5 stuff and further applications from the local repo

Kind regards,
Holger

Attachments

• 110release-plasma5.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 334
Back