Solved 10mbit on ifconfig, but 1gbps capable + cat6 direct to router

This has been driving me nuts since I got FreeNAS on this machine. I'd like to know why I'm stuck at 10mbit. Network transfers via SMB are at a flat line 9.8mbps (1.12mB/s). SFTP and FTP both 9.7mbps.

Running ifconfig reveals the following:

media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT/UTP <full-duplex>)

10baseT Full Duplex, that is 10mbit which explains the transfer rate. However the motherboard that's running all of this is an MSI B75MA-P45 which comes with a 10/100/1000 Realtek 8111E. The cable I'm using is a CAT6 that's practically brand new and it's connected directly to the router.

I'm running a Netgear R7000 router with DD-WRT, I have two machines connected to it reading 1.0Gbps. What am I doing wrong here and how do I diagnose it?

Also assuming it is the internal NIC card, which I just don't see how that is the case. But, long shot.. If I add an PCI-E NIC card, how would I force FreeNAS to use it and not the existing on board Realtek?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited to clarify FreeNAS specifically.

The cable I'm using is a CAT6 that's practically brand new and it's connected directly to the router.

New cables can also have disconnected lines - in fact with the (cheaper) cables that sell at online retailers in batches of 10 or 20, usually every second batch contains one faulty cable.
Also most (all?) of those "I can do anything but nothing very well"-Routers contain hardware of questionable quality - failing ports are relatively common on some of them.

So in short:
Try another cable
Use another port at the router

When adding another NIC it shows up just as an additional NIC - assign an address and matching default route to this NIC and leave the onboard one unconfigured.

And FTR:
FreeNAS etc...

I am waiting on the new NIC to come in the mail. Will test out a few different CAT6 cables with that and try out different ports to just be sure. I figured this is a hardware related problem as everything else on the software side seems to be behaving exactly as it should.

Apologies for posting this in the wrong place. It is FreeNAS related.

Doesn't the LAN/segment slow to the slowest devices speed on that segment. Maybe 10Mbs wireless is active within that segment?

Doesn't the LAN/segment slow to the slowest devices speed on that segment.
No, it doesn't. The port is connected to a switch, each switch port will automatically change to the correct speed/duplex settings. If you connect from a 1Gbps connection to something on a 10Mbit, then yes, you'll never go past that 10Mbit bandwidth. But this has nothing to do with the port settings themselves. The switch is able to deal with different ports having different speed/duplex settings. You can have a mix of 10Mbit, 100Mbit and 1Gbit and they'll all happily talk to each other at their common max speeds.

Just as expected. The onboard NIC was being finicky and the new NIC completely solved the problem. Transfer rates are at a nice healthy 108mB/s and I'm a happy camper.

Thank you all for reaffirming my doubts and I promise my next post will be in the right forum :)

Back