Solved FreeBSD 14.0 planning

[/QUOTE]
It's time. The initial release of sendmail was 38 years ago. That's ancient.
The initial release of Unix was about 50 years ago. The initial release of BSD somewhere between 40 and 45. Most insurances and banks run on an OS whose first release was ~60 years ago (IBM mainframe). I don't know exactly how to define the age of TCP/IP implementations, but it is about 50 years old (and Vint Cerf is still around, bright and cheerful).

Old does not mean bad. It does not automatically mean good, but it is usually correlated with good, since bad things tend to get washed away. How many people still use PrimOS or Banyan Vines?

Mail is insecure, gets monitored by the NSA and nobody uses it anymore.
Mail is only insecure if administered by clueless people. While I'm sure the NSA does its best to monitor e-mail, the underlying protocol smtps is as hard to spy on as https and ssh. And the claim that nobody uses it is made ridiculous by looking at my various mailboxes, which have dozens or hundreds of messages per day.

But removing something because it's bloated, insecure and complex is justified.
Of those three, only one applies to sendmail: It is certainly complex. But that is for a reason: It is exceedingly powerful. A lot of that power was needed in the early days (when we did things like tunneling uucp mail over bitnet, remember e-mail addresses that had to have @, % and ! to get there). It is neither bloated nor insecure when administered competently.

I haven't even begun to listen to, or read, what was linked :cool:

So in 14.0, graphics/drm-kmod is becoming part of base?

It fell under the (June 2021) heading of things that someone needs in the next two years to support a product or service.

If/when it happens, this will be excellent. It's probably fair to describe the need as widespread.

Most end users of graphics can make do with the separation, but integration should (amongst other things) allow a broader audience to engage in testing of the base operating system in general.

From the Roadmap:

1632572450512.png

The people who work on graphics and PkgBase are, I think, amongst the unsung heroes of FreeBSD.

How many people still use PrimOS or Banyan Vines?
Never heard of PrimOS, but Banyan Vines is one of the few that got away. Never got console time on one of those. The other one I'm curious about to this day is BeOS. I happened to work in the same office that was BeOS's headquarters years ago. I felt unworthy.

but it is usually correlated with good, since bad things tend to get washed away. How many people still use PrimOS or Banyan Vines?

Kind of reminds me of the Lindy effect. The reason why something like C or UNIX has such a good future lifespan is projected from the fact that they are already very old.

(Doesn't work on "living things" I'm afraid. We are doomed for failure! :()

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
The other one I'm curious about to this day is BeOS. I happened to work in the same office that was BeOS's headquarters years ago. I felt unworthy.
Try Haiku.
I once had a business pizza dinner with Gasee (bad spelling, I know). Boy they were nuts...

Back