Life without FreeBSD Forums is hard!

if you really think it's impossible for a section of the US to lose power for 3 days, you are flat out wrong.
index.gif

No power outages as far as I know. The host that runs the VM that runs the forums had an issue, that needed a nudge. Unfortunately we had some issues contacting the owner of said host. Stuff really needs to be migrated away from there so we can assign some more people with proper access but alas, that hasn't happened yet. The upside of the recent outage is that this will hopefully be expedited.

The forums should, ideally, be hosted on the rest of the FreeBSD infrastructure. It started off on someone's personal host and it's been running there ever since. Getting it onto the FreeBSD infrastructure needs some negotiating (we have a couple of requirements that would need to be met) and obviously some time and effort to actually get it migrated.

Lightning can actually hit power lines buried 6 ft deep at nearly full strength and damage them there. I believe, it's drawn to hitting it.
I've actually spent a lot of time talking with the linemen when they are fixing things and had discussions about burying the lines. I was told they prefer the above ground because they can easily see where/what and fix. Buried, they wind up guessing, then they have to pull a lot of cable to find the break, fix it or dig up road. Basically a 1 hour above ground fix is 6 hours below ground.

I've actually spent a lot of time talking with the linemen when they are fixing things and had discussions about burying the lines. I was told they prefer the above ground because they can easily see where/what and fix. Buried, they wind up guessing, then they have to pull a lot of cable to find the break, fix it or dig up road. Basically a 1 hour above ground fix is 6 hours below ground.
Yeah, and awful weather doesn't make the job any easier... somebody still needs to actually contact a professional who needs to get up, get to the site with all the tools and spare parts. Just the contacting part can be difficult if a truck or a landslide knocked over a cell tower, let alone a power pole. 😩 And yet this is what it actually takes to maintain the infrastructure that makes these forums even possible in the first place.

Reactions: mer
Yeah, and awful weather doesn't make the job any easier..
Yep. Very rarely do they get to work on a nice balmy day. That's why I always talk to them, ask if they need coffee, says thanks when they get it fixed. You know what? It seems to work. I find out all kinds of info and I swear when I call something in they show up quicker.
Buried lines are hit by excavators that don't pay attention and "disconnect" the internet for people.

Suitcase sized nukes for every home would give you power, but even with "wireless" internet, you can't control anything past your own infrastructure.

this looks to be the hosting, looks well equipped
also could not get any info of service disruption
It doesn't have to be the data center itself being affected by a power outage. There's plenty of other 'Points of Failure' well beyond the datacenter that can get taken out by inclement weather. To the north - there's other network nodes that are the pathway to EU's Internet segment, those are more likely to be affected by the weather. To the west - sorry, we can't spare the bandwidth for the downed transatlantic cable, we have enough issues with transpacific. To the south - not impossible, but... For a good reference, take a look at how global Internet traffic even travels:

Reactions: mer
"Thanks" to the outage I've registered, hopefully it won't be hard for other users, I am a person with ASD, so hello ;)

I hope the problem was really just a power outage, but as eternal_noob mentioned ealier, I had problems with 'pkg upgrade' also, and as far as I know it should be automatically redirected to some other working mirror, so it *should* work without such problems. Just before that 'freebsd-update fetch & freebsd-update install' went well, and I could reach other sites, so it wasn't problem with my connection. I still need some more testing, but I think I'll wait with it when official info will be released :)

And let me add my 2 (Offto)p: time doesn't exist. In reality there's only Spacetime ;)

It was down for a lot longer than a day. It went down some time Sunday afternoon and only got back up a few minutes ago.

Don't yet know what the cause was though. But us admins couldn't even access the host itself. So there wasn't much we could do to fix things.
Yeah, I was in the middle of writing a useful response to someone but I could not send the comment. :(
It's a pitty, I don't even remember the thread I was writing in.

Thanks to the people that brought back up the forums. And keep up the good work.

It's alive ! 🥳🥳🥳

Yes, big thx to all the people who maintain and brought the forums back online! 🙂

Now people in the IRC don't have to put up with my presence any longer! 😅

With all the thanking of people who brought the forums back online, I ponder the fact that it was seemingly ignored by those responsible. Or at least put on the back burner as not important enough to rush to it. Bugzilla showed the person responsible was made aware just a few hours after it occurred but it took a full three days for action to take place. No notification. No response. No reason. Here ya' go.

I have no one to thank and I'm not sure they deserve it. A responsibility not taken.

Or so it seems. But that's my response to the dark where I cannot see or know what happened and no one is saying. I could be wrong but how would I know?

Back