Life without FreeBSD Forums is hard!

What do you think?
I think they told SirDice everything we're going to know, based on the importance of the forum, and that some other kind of statement is never going to show up because this isn't the kind of shop that makes "statements" every time something breaks. There was a machine in either the ports or freebsd-update round-robin DNS that was out for months and NO STATEMENT.

The fact that there was a PR created because the website was down seemed really silly.
When you cry chicken little with petty problems you overwhelm infrastructure.
PR's are for researched problems. Website down is not an appropriate topic for a PR.

There. That is my 2 cents from a grumpy guy who hates impatient millennial's..

Thx to anybody who worked the problem.

Please think of this logistically.
Anne from foundation handles paying Zenforo and hosting fee's.
So there is not much developer involvement except danger@ and forum admin helpers.

First and foremost our PR system is built around development problems.
Sure make your silly PR's.
Demand justice for a free website not available.
Whatever.

The problem is that not only the forums went down but the main page (freebsd.org) too. In addition, people reported package size mismatch errors after upgrading packages.
In my opinion the problem is much bigger than just "a free website not available".

A single problem?
I see the following problems:

1. The forums went down (can happen, no big deal)
2. The main page went down at the same time (oh, ok, that's interesting. What's the deal?)
3. It took 3 days to recover the forums (WTF? Big problem or just ignorance?)
4. Package size mismatch errors (Eeek, coincidence or not?)
5. No communication on behalf the foundation (Err. Does the community matter or not?)

Maybe I should add some more info. Probably pkg have some bug, it was downloading one package (openjdk) in a loop, but it was updating its package counter normally, first time it reported it as 1-st/n package, the second time as 2-nd/n, ... so probably even if it succeeded downloading this first package it wouldn't download all the packages. Or maybe it was downloading different packages under the name of openjdk? To reproduce it I will need to corrupt the package download somehow, how to do that, any idea?

I have also noticed problems with FreeBSD's svnweb , today, few hours before, for example I couldn't access freebsd-doc-en, I was just getting 504 errors. Now it's working fine.

Edit: The post i answered to has been deleted.

FEzSy3HXMAQ20gc.jpeg

Last edited:
There. That is my 2 cents from a grumpy guy who hates impatient millennial's..
I'm a millennial, and I'm the one preaching patience:
eternal_noob : Chill, we're back, and it's all good. Also, even if that datacenter did have back-up power to keep the servers running, the data still needs to be delivered through outside points before it gets sent to EU or wherever. The power outages have affected most of NE United States. Even New York was affected, and if you recall, it's the terminus for transatlantic cables that deliver data from American datacenters to EU. 😑
eternal_noob : Here's a little something to take your mind off things: An exploding whale:
That was a MUCH dumber decision than to not bother with issuing a statement that a free service is back on.

Back