Stopping something

I can't. It's controlling alot of my life currently. It's not like a switch I can turn off an on.
I stopped caring about the effects which are beyond our control.

Last year I stopped being the Red Devil's Advocate. That position appointed to my Esteemed Colleague, Phishfry, the only person who would debate a point with me.

That person has ceased to exist.

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
I stopped consuming animals and egg products back in 1996, and finally gave up dairy as well in 2004. For the usual reasons.

I also stopped consuming animals, eggs and dairy almost 30 years ago, around 1992.

At the time my family adopted a dog which was destined to be eaten (in a country where dogs are used for food of course) and I made "the connection".

I've tried quitting alcohol a couple of times, but have not succeeded yet. But I only drink rarely, and I have sworn off the hard stuff.

I reduced alcohol consumption over the years but it wasn't a decision, just change of habits. I still drink beer and wine almost weekly. I'd say it's just a moderate consumption (at least when compared to my past consumption..).

I'm going to attempt to stop people misunderstanding my posts by what believe is due to the difference in the way a Software Engineer looks at a thread and how it relates to a forum and the way I see and address it as a Behavioral Engineer.
Just to make it clear that's not a term I made up, it appears in the Walden Two .pdf Preface by Skinner I made available a couple weeks ago:

Behaviorial_Engineering.png

The page cuts off there but the next 5 words are "conducted were in essence communities. Like a forum is a community.
I will never have the knowledge of UNIX ralphz has in his pinky finger and his credentials something an IT guy would stab his mother in the back to have on his resume and step on you on the his way to get to the top.

drhowarddfine is a true Professional and lives 100 miles from me in St. Louis, ranked the 4th most dangerous city. He's my Homie but our lives total opposites. What makes his life dangerous is my way of life in Public Housing and those people who I deal with on a daily basis.

vigole lives in Iran and dodges Scud Missiles to stay alive. His concept of what's dangerous on a whole different level than mine. So it's a matter of perspective and how you look at things.

I am a Behaviorist and my Professional Specialized area of expertise addressing Inappropriate Behaviors to extinguish those behaviors induction of pain through psychological stimuli. I'm probably the only person here that didn't go to college and have freely admitted never having worked IT or in a computer related field.

People are what I work with over time and places to bring everything together. What is seemingly Chaotic in nature can be orderly and my way of building to a planned end months down the road. The whole ponit is so they won't see it coming. So it's understandable you wouldn't see it as it happens.

I see the forum as a whole, that one thread relates to another, that what's on my profile as a member relates to the community and his behavior a reflection of the community as a whole. What is tolerated behavior becomes acceptable behavior and what people will come to see as behavior to be expected here no different than what you expect at reddit.,

Alexander88207 stated in the GhostBSD jumps ship: Drops FreeBSD to use TrueOS (PC-BSD). "This thread seems to have gone off the rails."

With all due respect, that's because you can't see the forum for the thread. It may be the difference in how Software Eneineers see things as a thought process in an orderly fashion and a trait that makes you good at what you do.

Going off the rails is how I work and what I do what you least expected to happen by design, caused a train wreck between FreeBSD and PC-BSD in another thread, to address the same behavior that has now spread to the forums, one that has once more directly effected me personally, is posted to my Profile, and that behavior and that person is what I'm addressing in that thread.

When someone who had taken part of my sentence and posted it on my Profile out of context in a deceptive manner to shift blame to me with no admission of guilt or sign of remorse posted:

Bastard Sentence Dissectors.

(Most of us, at some time or another.)
He was making light of it and trying to pass it off as acceptable. Well, most od us lie like a dog sometime or another, don't we? Do you?

I responded to what was described as sentence dissection with the facts and called him on it

Oh, like when you dissected this sentence:
"There are consequences for your actions".

Out of this one:
"There are consequences for your actions and you're going to take responsibility for them."

Branded Someone Dishonest
That was in response to his post to make him and everyone else aware of his behavior just like I finished doing in another thread to hold them accountable.

Where would be the right place to address it? Does that behavior not effect everyone here? Where should I have addressed the matter I did in the FreeBSD forums and FreeBSD Foundation thread? Is that not the same type of behavior I was addressing in that thread?

Or should I have just been quiet and allow my name to be smeared with an outright lie in what was more bad judgement in doing so?, For high ranking people and forum members with far less time to do unethical things and get away with? That reinforces the behavior.

If not dealt with here then where? And if I didn't say anything who would? SirDice will Moderate me if he sees the need, but not even he could address the situation I did with PC-BSD. It goes back 9 years and had only gotten worse over time.

Now I see it here in the forums. And just like before, I am the only one who speaks up while they go on like nothing happened. Professionalism has hit a new low when that's found as acceptable.

Read the posts, the last two subjects posted to my Profile and try to see how one thing relates to another as a whole.

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
To get back to "stop drinking":
What helped me the most to keep going to not drink:
1) "external" Motivation: Skydiving was/is a childhood-dream of me, which i fulfilled seven years ago (and still fulfill each weekend by jumping out of perfectly fine aircraft).
Bottom line: If there is something, you really, really want, but drinking is in its way, just ask yourself: What's more important? Fulfilling a dream, or......?
2) physical/mental health: That's the hardest part, because it doesn't happen over night. For me, i badly needed that external motivation to keep going.
Keep drinking, risk losing driving license --> Lost driving license = no more skydiving events (and the interesting events are never at your homebase)
For me that's an easy equation to solve, and it's an equation i look at every time i am tempted to drink (getting invited, someone reaching a milestone, you know the works), and the temptation goes away leaving me feeling good with my decisions.

To all those giving me weird looks (or even some verbal jabs): "Bugger off, and jump in a lake for all i care. My decision! I don't need yours"

When I decided to quit I tapered myself down to where going 3 days without drinking was considered a long time in 93, to drinking once every 3 months and dropped it in 96.

I won't buy beer or give anyone money to buy it. I might give you a ride to the gas station to buy your own, and it doesn't bother me to be around people who are drinking, but don't want you around me when you're drunk. I hate drunks.

I don't know what I ever saw in it and only wish I'd quit sooner.

I only buy alcohol when I can afford it. I just treat it as a luxury item that I can go without if there's something else on my mind... For example, about a month ago I got a very expensive GPU - and that's where my money went, instead of beer or other booze. Although - that GPU cost way more than even a 2-month supply of very nice booze... :p

instead of beer or other booze. Although - that GPU cost way more than even a 2-month supply of very nice booze...
But in 2 months you'll still have the GPU.

The most you'd left laft from spending it all on Stag beer is at best a headache. How big that headache depends on any extenuating circumstances to added to the swelling in your in your brainbox.

Did you know there was something called "wet brain" you can get from soaking it in alcohol?

Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome is kind of like not sobering up after you sleep it off.

So, if you try really hard, and drink enough beer, maybe, just maybe, someday you'll drink enough that you don't have to buy any more.

Think of the money you'll save!
So, come on, boys and girls! Slam one now for Uncle Sam as an investment in your future!.

But in 2 months you'll still have the GPU.

The most you'd left laft from spending it all on Stag beer is at best a headache. How big that headache depends on any extenuating circumstances to added to the swelling in your in your brainbox.

Did you know there was something called "wet brain" you can get from soaking it in alcohol?

Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome is kind of like not sobering up after you sleep it off.

So, if you try really hard, and drink enough beer, maybe, just maybe, someday you'll drink enough that you don't have to buy any more.

Think of the money you'll save!
So, come on, boys and girls! Slam one now for Uncle Sam as an investment in your future!.
Before the pandemic, I was a regular attendant at my local beer fest, had no problem downing 12 different beers in one night, and Oktoberfest in Munich (Along with BMW Museum) was on my bucket list. And yet, it takes me just 8 hours to sleep it all off. GPU may be gone in a few years, replaced with something even more powerful, but the memories (and notes about the beers I liked) will remain with me well beyond that. :p

But frankly, you just deal with the WKS by drinking brine from cucumbers that were fermented with salt. Not the pickled stuff, but fermented with salt. Only a depth charge (a shot of vodka in a pint of beer) has the capacity to even get me close to such a point. And I happen to really not like the taste of such a combination of alcoholic beverages, to boot. Anything but THAT.

Smoking. I stopped in 1993 and other than the very occasional cigar, I haven't had a cigarette since then. I also used to drink inordinate amounts of bourbon (750ml every 2 or 3 days) but have stopped that entirely, as of maybe 30 years ago. Only small amounts of wine and beer now, mostly wine.

With all due respect, that's because you can't see the forum for the thread. It may be the difference in how Software Eneineers see things as a thought process in an orderly fashion and a trait that makes you good at what you do.

Going off the rails is how I work and what I do what you least expected to happen by design, caused a train wreck between FreeBSD and PC-BSD in another thread, to address the same behavior that has now spread to the forums, one that has once more directly effected me personally, is posted to my Profile, and that behavior and that person is what I'm addressing in that thread.

But there are people like me who see this thread in the news and when I click on it is usually expected that the thread also contains the topic. (Unsubscribed ofc now)

That it slips here and there somewhere is normal, but there is the topic done already after 2/3 pages.

Its like buying a book because of the interesting description, topic etc... but after 3 chapters it has nothing more to do with it.

Well, I stopped smoking, drinking alcohol, eating meat, and drinking coffee. I was drinking massive amount of coffee and it just got to the point where it didn't even affect me any more except making me have to go to the bathroom every 45 minutes. The alcohol became a serious problem so I had to quit. Smoking obviously doesn't need to be explained. And stopping eating meat was just a choice I made.

I just gave throw away a packet of cigarettes. Bad day for the cigarette sellers. But I had no fun in it.
Even if i enjoyed the last cigarette. In fact it was family who told stop with it.

I stop playing online game.
On day, I was the first of the top of the "connected" (by week if I remember) in a MMORPG game.
I stop it and others the day after
I never use "social media" like Facebook and I do not have TV since more than 10 year.

I have no message. But to stop something there is always fun it. And we are programmed you need to start something.
I throw away my packet of cigarettes, she was a good friend.
But In me I need to start something, maybe different. Throw your ideas. The more crazy the better.

Back