Share your wisdom of the day.

One System to rule them all, One IDE to find them,
One Code to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie.
Your Tolkienesque sig brought to mind a quote of his I have on file:

"Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than that which we possess ourselves." - J.R.R. Tolkien

As a header to an article about Sorcery as related to computer programmers:

"Computational processes are abstract beings that inhabit computers. As they evolve, processes manipulate other abstract things called data. The evolution of a process is directed by a pattern of rules called a program. People create programs to direct processes. In effect, we conjure the spirits of the computer with our spells.

A computational process is indeed much like a sorcerer's idea of a spirit. It cannot be seen or touched. It is not composed of matter at all. However, it is very real. It can perform intellectual work. It can answer questions. It can affect the world by disbursing money at a bank or by controlling a robot arm in a factory.

The programs we use to conjure processes are like a sorcerer's spells. They are carefully composed from symbolic expressions in arcane and esoteric programming languages that prescribe the tasks we want our processes to perform."

Building Abstractions with Procedures

And the personal observation of how we invoke a command to summon a program like Sorcerers, with our skill in the dark art (to some) we all strive to Master.

But my brain is full of toxins and makes connections yours might not. :p
Not to mention I taught my bot, Demonica, everything she knows about Sorcery. Ask her to tell your future.

Freshports shows you if IPv6 is working :)

Screenshot from 2021-09-29 19-01-37.png

When approaching your nearest petrol station, at dusk:
  1. cut the engine
  2. switch off the headlights
  3. raise the interior light
  4. look away from the road
  5. read a good book
  6. have a distant tail light in your peripheral vision, through a reflection in the front window of someone's house
  7. when the red flickers, decide whether to release the parking brake
  8. if/when the time comes, coast a few inches then re-engage the parking brake
  9. repeat steps 4–8 for an hour or so
  10. enjoy.

I read this one in a book by a modern day Buddhist, I don't remember the context. Suppose you're in a boat and another boat bangs into you. You curse out the other boat, how they steer, are oblivious, etc. Then, you look again and you see the boat is empty. Now you no longer have someone to rage against. I think the whole premise was that if we look at those who do us wrong as an empty boat, just sent by life, we spend a lot less time being angry, which as lots of people have said, is giving someone room in your mind, rent free.

Along those lines, another old Buddhist parable, the version I've seen is about two monks in Japan. They come to a river and there's a woman there, saying, please help me cross. One monk feels it's impure to be so close to a woman but the other monk puts her on his back and carries her across. She thanks him and leaves.
Now, as they're walking the other monk is going on and on about what a bad thing it was to get so close to a female, etc. etc. The monk who carried the woman finally says, "I put her down once we crossed the river, but you've been carrying her for the last several hours."

By the way, I originally had a typo, saying suppose you're in a boot, rather boat, hence the quote below this post. :)

Last edited:
Going to get a bit heavy on my wisdom of the day... you may often not know what goes on behind the scenes but there is a probably a lot of stuff that if you found out about it that would send absolute chills down your spine.

Also, a small few (relatively speaking) "bad people" can cause a disproportionate amount of far reaching harm.

I've seen this one in action many times. I think it comes from Montaigne so I assume the original was in French. So picture me saying it with an Inspector Clousseau accent.

If you like someone, and they spill soup on you at dinner, you laugh. If you don't like someone, the way they hold their fork annoys you.

Going to get a bit heavy on my wisdom of the day... you may often not know what goes on behind the scenes but there is a probably a lot of stuff that if you found out about it that would send absolute chills down your spine.
You usually only find that out when you reach Management and see how things really work.

What looked so shiny and clean from a lower level is where all the dirt has collected, you just couldn't see from your previous position.
Also, a small few (relatively speaking) "bad people" can cause a disproportionate amount of far reaching harm.
The Boobie Prize was called that because it was the 1 in a million that blew up in the face of the Boobie that picked it.

When that box is wrapped to attract and set to only blow up in the face of "bad people"?

Its a Character Test I use in life as a way to identify people of good Character from those who lack it. People who perceive me as someone they can outwit and take advantage of how they identify themselves unknowingly.

Booby Prize a mind game only played with Boobies, because only Boobies ask to play.

There are a disproportionate amount of bad people to good and the good suffer because of their actions. It festers and spreads through the ranks like cancer if gone undiagnosed, but don't worry. I'm a Doctor.

Back