Auto-merging sys/modules/Makefile
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in sys/modules/Makefile
Auto-merging sys/i386/conf/NOTES
Auto-merging sys/i386/conf/GENERIC
Auto-merging sys/conf/files
Auto-merging sys/amd64/conf/NOTES
Auto-merging sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC
Auto-merging share/man/man4/Makefile
warning: inexact rename detection was skipped due to too many files.
warning: you may want to set your merge.renamelimit variable to at least 3201 and retry the command.
error: could not apply 517904de5cc... igc(4): Introduce new driver for the Intel I225 Ethernet controller.
hint: after resolving the conflicts, mark the corrected paths
hint: with 'git add <paths>' or 'git rm <paths>'
hint: and commit the result with 'git commit'
root@randy:/usr/src

Code:
# git config merge.renamelimit 3201
# git cherry-pick 517904de5cca
Code:
root@randy:/usr/src #  git config merge.renamelimit 3201
root@randy:/usr/src # git cherry-pick 517904de5cca
error: Cherry-picking is not possible because you have unmerged files.
hint: Fix them up in the work tree, and then use 'git add/rm <file>'
hint: as appropriate to mark resolution and make a commit.
fatal: cherry-pick failed
root@randy:/usr/src #

root@randy:/usr/src # git config merge.renamelimit 3201
error: Cherry-picking is not possible because you have unmerged files.
hint: Fix them up in the work tree, and then use 'git add/rm <file>'
hint: as appropriate to mark resolution and make a commit.
fatal: cherry-pick failed
FWIW, the Committer's Guide has sections on handling conflicts (5.2.8.2.2. Time to update) and failed cherry-picks(5.3.10.2. Merging a Single Subversion Commit with a Conflict). Looks like the renamefiles error can be ignored.

You can revert the cherry-pick with git cherry-pick --abort.

That command has aborted receiving the source code for the igc(4) driver. Execute
Code:
# git cherry-pick 517904de5cca
# git diff
Code:
Performing inexact rename detection: 100% (5153610/5153610), done.
error: could not apply 517904de5cc... igc(4): Introduce new driver for the Intel I225 Ethernet controller.
root@randy:/usr/src # git diff
diff --cc sys/modules/Makefile
index 7574c612f49,91e3a54213f..00000000000
--- a/sys/modules/Makefile
+++ b/sys/modules/Makefile
@@@ -633,7 -635,7 +634,11 @@@ _em=              e
  _et=          et
  _ftwd=                ftwd
  _exca=                exca
++<<<<<<< HEAD
 +_if_ndis=     if_ndis
++=======
+ _igc=         igc
++>>>>>>> 517904de5cc (igc(4): Introduce new driver for the Intel I225 Ethernet controller.)
  _io=          io
  _itwd=                itwd
  _ix=          ix

oot@randy:/usr/src # git cherry-pick 517904de5cca
Performing inexact rename detection: 100% (5153610/5153610), done.
root@randy:/usr/src # git diff
@@@ -633,7 -635,7 +634,11 @@@ _em= e
_et= et
_ftwd= ftwd
_exca= exca
++<<<<<<< HEAD
+_if_ndis= if_ndis
++=======
+ _igc= igc
++>>>>>>> 517904de5cc (igc(4): Introduce new driver for the Intel I225 Ethernet controller.)
_io= io
_itwd= itwd
_ix= ix
This is a merge conflict in text format. Basically, you're trying to insert _igc= igc in the exact same spot that's already occupied by _if_ndis= if_ndis. I'm guessing this is because the ndis(4) driver has been removed in HEAD. The way I would resolve this is to edit sys/modules/Makefile and remove the lines that start with <<<<<<<, >>>>>>>, and =======. Running git diff should now output something like this:
Code:
  _et=          et
 +_if_ndis=     if_ndis
 + _igc=         igc
  _io=          io
  _ix=          ix
Now do
Code:
git add sys/modules/Makefile
git commit
Just take whatever commit message you get. You exit vi(1) by typing :q followed by enter.

This is a merge conflict in text format. Basically, you're trying to insert _igc= igc in the exact same spot that's already occupied by _if_ndis= if_ndis. I'm guessing this is because the ndis(4) driver has been removed in HEAD. The way I would resolve this is to edit sys/modules/Makefile and remove the lines that start with <<<<<<<, >>>>>>>, and =======. Running git diff should now output something like this:
Code:
  _et=          et
 +_if_ndis=     if_ndis
 + _igc=         igc
  _io=          io
  _ix=          ix
Now do
Code:
git add sys/modules/Makefile
git commit
Just take whatever commit message you get. You exit vi(1) by typing :q followed by enter.
I have never used vi only ee. Will ee work?

When I cd /sys/modules and ran cat Makefile the output was over whelming. The output did not even resemble anything that you described. The output did not show any of the following; <<<<<<<, >>>>>>>, and =======

And I've never used ee(1). It should work for editing /sys/modules/Makefile, but git is probably going to bring up vi to edit the commit message. All you have to know is how to get out of vi. See Grahamperrin's post here:

When I cd /sys/modules and ran cat Makefile the output was over whelming. The output did not even resemble anything that you described. The output did not show any of the following; <<<<<<<, >>>>>>>, and =======
Yeah, it's a big file. The changes should be around line 633 if you can figure out how to tell ee(1) to go to a particular line number.

Yes, I used ee and at the head of ee it tells you what line you are on. So, I paged down and found the lines on 639 and carried out your post.

Should I reboot at this time?

Should I reboot at this time?
In this little igc(4) driver on 13.0-RELEASE project there is no need to reboot at all. Beginning from obtaining the system and driver source code, correcting the code, building and installing it, untill loading the kernel module to make the I225 network card work.

It's easy to overlook the next step Jose adviced in post #37, please execute
Code:
# git diff
again, post output.

In this little igc(4) driver on 13.0-RELEASE project there is no need to reboot at all. Beginning from obtaining the system and driver source code, correcting the code, building and installing it, untill loading the kernel module to make the I225 network card work.

It's easy to overlook the next step Jose adviced in post #37, please execute
Code:
# git diff
again, post output.
Tanks T-Daemon, but when I carried out all the instructions for adding the git-lite pkg to the execution of git diff and turned off the computer to attend a long meeting; I had no internet when I rebooted. Even the Ethernet card I installed to gain internet access did not work. Oh, I had also added if_igc_load="YES" in the /etc/rc.conf file. Luckily, I had saved Sir Dice's syntax as to how to remove everything from the /usr/scr directory and removed the git-lite pkg and the rc.conf intery. Also, I removed the git daemon from the group user file. Now all is good by using the Ethernet card that I originally installed. So, maybe, if I were to follow your step-by-step forum notes the igc driver for the 1225 on board card would work. What are your thoughts?

Okay, I started over with no files in /usr/src etc. . . . The attached file is I how carried out the rebuild. I started with each step from the top. With no success. I'm of the belief that giving me the exact steps to simply add the driver code, as T-Daemon first offered would be best for my very limited knowledge. When errors occur, I simply would not even know where to start to correct them. I absolutely appreciate all of your patience and knowledge, but I would just like to have the on board 1225 Ethernet working. I am of the belief that it is a faster connection.

Attachments

• igc driver .txt
    796 bytes · Views: 63
Personally, I just copied sys/dev/igc and sys/modules/igc from the stable/13 checkout to the release source dir and then compiled the module with CFLAGS="-DVIMAGE -DDEV_RANDOM".

Personally, I just copied sys/dev/igc and sys/modules/igc from the stable/13 checkout to the release source dir and then compiled the module with CFLAGS="-DVIMAGE -DDEV_RANDOM".
I have no idea as to how to copy and past from stable/13.

Okay, I started over with no files in /usr/src etc. . . . The attached file is I how carried out the rebuild. I started with each step from the top. With no success. I'm of the belief that giving me the exact steps to simply add the driver code, as T-Daemon first offered would be best for my very limited knowledge. When errors occur, I simply would not even know where to start to correct them. I absolutely appreciate all of your patience and knowledge, but I would just like to have the on board 1225 Ethernet working. I am of the belief that it is a faster connection.
That file looks like your notes. What was the output of "no success"?

Back