"Staff member" is misleading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screenshot_2021-05-19_22-18-18.png

"Staff member" is misleading. I understand the explanation but the fact it needed an explanation is confirmation of my observation. I already knew that FreeBSD had staff so when the official FreeBSD forum labels non-staff as "Staff member" then that should be corrected.

Maybe change "Staff member" to "Elite member", or something of that nature. Yes, I know this needs to be done within the software running the forum. A quick Google showed this:

Perhaps, if it is non-trivial, then the forum software vendor can patch it so it can be defined (if not already). I would think FreeBSD must be VIP #1 status with that vendor.

Yes, I understand the high message count club will be unnecessarily defensive.
No matter how high your message count will get. You will never get "Staff Member". You must be chosen as a forum admin for that (typically with even more permissions than standard admin). So not sure if there is anything to get defensive about. We don't exactly cultivate message count XD

I don't even particularly think we need the message count statistics on the members names (or profiles). Newbie users are fairly easy to identify via their posts alone.

"Staff member" is misleading. I understand the explanation but the fact it needed an explanation is confirmation of my observation.
You needed the explanation.

Maybe change "Staff member" to "Elite member", or something of that nature.
It's a part of the Xenforo forum software. Moderators and Administrators are considered "Staff" by the software, nothing we can change about the label.

Perhaps, if it is non-trivial, then the forum software vendor can patch it so it can be defined (if not already).
That only removes the label, it doesn't change anything about the actual label or the "Staff" designation. Besides that, how would someone know who to contact if they're having problems with the forum if we would remove the label that indicated who's a staff member?

I would think FreeBSD must be VIP #1 status with that vendor.
We're not. We're just one of many paying customers. There are much bigger forums than ours.

I already knew that FreeBSD had staff
I actually had to look that up. But no, FreeBSD does not have "staff members". There's FreeBSD Project Administration and management, which mentions "core" members and various teams but no "staff members". The FreeBSD Foundation has staff though: https://freebsdfoundation.org/about-us/staff/ but here "staff" has the meaning of "all the people employed by a particular organization".

I think you're somewhat confused by the different meanings of the word "staff" as it can mean two different things. The first is the aforementioned "all the people employed by a particular organization". The second is "a group of officers assisting an officer in command of an army formation or administration headquarters." And that's what the Forum's "Staff Members" refers too. As the forum's "Staff members" consists of administrators and moderators.

Nobody cares anyway. We understand the meaning.
You care enough to reply...
It's a part of the Xenforo forum software. Moderators and Administrators are considered "Staff" by the software
That was already established.
You needed the explanation.
Anyone like me that doesn't care to know the ins and outs of Xenforo forum software would need an explanation.
The FreeBSD Foundation has staff
Yes, that is what I was referring to as FreeBSD staff.
Besides that, how would someone know who to contact if they're having problems with the forum if we would remove the label that indicated who's a staff member?
Maybe a moderator or administrator or post in this feedback section. Then people can get the same response: we can't do anything it's the forum software... (no, that's not a direct quote). One of my very first posts was about a bug in this forum... posted in this feedback section.
That only removes the label, it doesn't change anything about the actual label or the "Staff" designation.
Perfect. Like I said, I don't care how it's handled behind the scenes.

Bikeshed.
:)
I have to admit that I never really look at labels under a person, because I've seen good advice from a person with a single post and bad advice from one with thousands. I fully admit that others may have said/will say I give bad advice.

This is pointless. The word "staff" isn't a big deal. Why is a huge deal being made of it? I even had the impression they were chosen for that position, and not voted into it by thanks and thumbs up.

They clarified they're forum staff. I thought they could be FreeBSD staff, but there's little difference. Maybe they're paid to be here, idk.

A big issue is being made out of something so insignificant.

This topic is irrelevant.

Trihexagonal, mer said "bikeshed" with no context, I want to know what that meant. At least mer didn't spam with unrelated images.
hey clarified they're forum staff. I thought they could be FreeBSD staff, but there's little difference. Maybe they're paid to be here, idk.
Unpaid most likely.
A big issue is being made out of something so insignificant.
There is no "big issue".
This topic is irrelevenant.
Feel free to ignore it...

To answer your question. This is a description of a bikeshed thread.

While everyone is entitled to an opinion, it seems as if you are the only one feeling upset about this. It's been explained. SirDice is a forum administrator. Therefore, on the forum, he is a staff member.
For example, I am an administrator on the CentOS forums. But I have NOTHING to do with CentOS policy, only what is on the forum, and really, about all we do is try to weed out spammers.

If I understand correctly, you're still annoyed that staff member could be misleading. The rest of us seem to think it isn't, and yet, we continue to post in this thread, maybe because we're bored. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: mer
Perfect. Like I said, I don't care how it's handled behind the scenes.
You presume there is a need for us to handle your confusion. There is not. You assume the decision is already made to handle your percived problem. There is not.

Last round of input to this thread please...

You guys could've stood to be nicer to the guy, I see what both sides are trying to say, although I agree it isn't so significant anything should be done about it necessarily. It's not a huge deal, going one way or the other although the fact this thread quickly became an argument is a bit much.

I'm scratching my head wondering when this will be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back