Solved Did I choose a bad handle?

As usual, those who feel their ego needs steroids look down to Linux. They think bashing Linux makes them l33t. While in reality of course they merely show how small they are.
Agreed! I like and run both Linux and BSD. I've been running Linux since 2002; I'm currently running Debian and Slackware. I'm writing this on my OpenBSD Thinkpad.

Yep, all operating systems have good and bad points. The important part is being free to express what you find bad about other solutions in the hope that these bad ideas don't take over and become the "norm".

So it isn't really bashing for the sake of bashing. It is exposing the weak points of a solution. It just so happens that many on these forums (myself included) believe Linux to have many more weak points than FreeBSD. Naturally, or we would likely be on some other Linux-centric forums.

Seems that "this guy is a Linux fanboy" and reaction "No, me FreeBSD fanboy. Linux sux.." have occasionally occurred.
I couldn't find it posted where you had said "No, me FreeBSD fanboy. Linux sux.." either, so I didn't think so.

Seemed a little over defensive to me and more like an attempt to draw people in as a point of contention as a ploy.

Yeah, did that in 2002. Good learning back then but don't need to repeat it.

The worst reactions have been from members with ~1000+ messages... where they think they're elite. Saying things like "we decide what goes in the the handbook" and in earlier in the thread the same guy was saying "I've been thinking about contributing to the handbook", delusional stuff like that).
Could you please point out the tread where someone said those things? I've been gone for fourteen days, I could have been gone for more...so I might have missed that.

And if I'm being delusional, please, for my own sake, detail them out for me with as much brutal honesty and verbosity possible so I will be aware of them. I'd rather know the truth than remain unaware the only Daemons are the ones in my head. Embarrassing as I know this is going to be...

My handle needs an update as well. I joined over a year ago, the noobiness in me is almost gone.
I joined the forum several years ago, but every day get the feeling that the more I know, the less I know. FreeBSD is a much bigger, more powerful and more featureful OS than I thought years ago. Every command seems to have hundreds of options, and after using the system for a few years, feel as though I am only just scratching the surface of its capability.

Just a bit of drooling over the thought of roasted penguin. But I am quite the carnivore in my diet.
You, Sir, are a true FreeBSD usr and I salute you. :beer:

Consider yourself a welcome guest invited over the next time we have Tux Tourtiere, or meat pastry penguin. Looks delicious, doesn't it?

penguinpie.jpg

On the menu here we also have Tux T-bone, Tux teriyaki, toasted Tux, pickled penguin, poached penguin pan fired penguin, penguin pizza, penguin portobello perfecto that is a taste sensation you will not soon forget. His pressure cooked peppered penguin is so tender it melts in your mouth.

The Honorable drhowarddfine in the Antarctic at this very moment with powerful pellet pistols poaching plenty penguin to preserve the Power to Serve Penguin Pride.

Gentoo is styled more like FreeBSD than other Linuxes. Gentoo is the closet or one of the closet things to FreeBSD on the Linux side. You're more likely to like FreeBSD more.

It was 2011. I signed up here, with a stupid name. I sent a letter to admin to change my name.
The answer was clear: no rename, keep it or signup for new account and inform us (dup is bad).
I did the latter. I didn't push again, so he didn't have to say: I'll say no, read my lips: no new etc.
Lesson 1: Get over it.

During the last 10 years, only one of my posts got deleted (no ban) and I didn't receive any attack from anyone. --->
Lesson 2: Rudeness is bad.

<--- but! only because of one deleted post, I didn't protest in public, and didn't burn the city down to the ground.
Lesson 3: Thicker skin is good.

I joined the forum several years ago, but every day get the feeling that the more I know, the less I know. FreeBSD is a much bigger, more powerful and more featureful OS than I thought years ago. Every command seems to have hundreds of options, and after using the system for a few years, feel as though I am only just scratching the surface of its capability.
You gave me an idea of a new handle. Let's see if it gets approved.
Thanks! :D

Back