Solved Pkg on FreeBSD 13

In FreeBSD 13.0 there's two things about packages.

When installing new packages, for a newly available system, are latest and quarterly the same, until the next quarter comes out? Because it's too new, that it has only 1 set of pkg build on a new system? I changed my /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf from quarterly to latest, and both downloaded the same version for a package.

Another thing is, I can't find packages and ports listed in the /var/db/ directories anymore, like in previous versions. I normally remove them when resetting up, to prevent conflicts with older packages and port options.

Is /var/db/ for ports and packages no longer used in the same way? If not, where are packages and port options stored?

2021Q2 was cut in early April, just after the git migration was done. So latest and quarterly aren't that much different, it's only been a little more than a week ago. Remember the quarterlies are branched off from main. So when a new quarterly is made they're both going to be the same.

I changed my /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf from quarterly to latest
Don't do that, an update or upgrade might undo your changes. Instead create a /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf:
Code:
FreeBSD: {
  url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"
}

Another thing is, I can't find packages and ports listed in the /var/db/ directories anymore, like in previous versions. I normally remove them when resetting up, to prevent conflicts with older packages and port options.
/var/db/ports/ contains the config options but they're for building ports only, if you only installed packages then this directory obviously won't get filled. They're build time options.

Is /var/db/ for ports and packages no longer used in the same way?
There's only /var/db/pkg/ which stores the package database and caches from remote repositories. And there's /var/cache/pkg which stores and caches downloaded packages. There wasn't anything else with regards to packages, so I'm not sure what you're missing? Nothing's changed between 12 and 13 in this respect.

So the quarterly and latest packages were the same or similar because it's a new release.

I didn't build any ports yet, so I forgot not to expect anything in /var/db/ports.

The one I didn't know about was /var/cache/pkg/

So the quarterly and latest packages were the same or similar because it's a new release.
Obligatory hint: because it's a new quarterly branch.

Ports/packages have nothing to do with the FreeBSD release you're using them on.
(there's a pkg repository for each FreeBSD release, but all of them are built from the same ports)

Zirias wanted to make sure you understood the distinction between a new release of a quarterly branch and a new release of the OS. Since they both happened around the same time.

Back