BeaSDie's Mantra of the Week

How often do you praise the yea free BeaSD?

• several times a day

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • periodic(8) daily

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • periodic(8) weekly

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • periodic(8) monthly

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • less than monthly

• never

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • don't know, I'm fighting with fsck(8)'ing configs

• shut the <censored> up, I can't login to my geli(8)-encrypted boot device!

• @ reboot(8) (e.g. when forced to freebsd-update(8) for security fixes)

• Total voters
It was only in 14-CURRENT and unfortunately it has been reverted :(

What the fsck(8)?! egrep -i 'update.+current' /usr/local/etc/anacrontab|awk '{print $1}' 3 (days)
Have to investigate this. Do they try to fool me? Didn't read todays mailing lists yet, and some of the recent hackers mails seems to be missing... But maybe there is a discussion on <freebsd-current>? I'll have a look. The commit's comment says "This is not ready yet for prime time". So maybe it just needs some more time to mature, that's normal. 14-RELEASE has a long way to go, hopefully that's enough for it to get commited again.

Okay, so teacher says: "Say BSD BSD BSD BSD BSD BSD over and over (sounds like Beastie)
then, go sit in the corner with face to the wall."

Does this count as mantra of the week?

Okay, so teacher guru says: "Say BSD BSD BSD BSD BSD BSD over and over (sounds like Beastie), then go sit in the corner with face to the wall." Does this count as mantra of the week?
Short answer: No. Long answer: open a thread titled: "Does this count as BMW?" (make it boldface to get more attention) with a poll quoting your question. Then wait patiently and come back in summer three month later.

Last edited:
First thing first, I don't believe in anonymity, thus my vote was #1, i.e. now I'm a 28.6 percenter!
** but I defend the right of being anonymous.

Likely just by chance, but you found one of BeaSDie's magic numbers: bc -e '0^0 * 1^1 * 2^2 * 3^3' -e quit 108
No. Repeating mantra 108 times, is a Tantric tradition.

On your comment about sol, Latin, daemon etc:
* soliculus -> sol -> sun. i.e. light and fire.
* sol refers to my user profile picture.
* daemon refers to non-Beastie i.e. darkness.
* benedicite == praise.
=> The sol chose the beastie, and he will burn your daemons.

Some user wrote in a PM:
Hi there, you have to explain to me the "BeaSDie's Mantra of the Week" and how it works please
I dont get it...I read it somethimes but fast.. :rolleyes:
You can only grasp the meaning of a BMW by driving it. periodic daily -- if that's not possible, periodic weekly. That will elevate your mind. Then, when the time is ripe, do freebsd-update -r 20.3-RELEASE on all your systems.

"Blessed are the disciples of the yea free BeaSD, for they have the finest & (mostly) up-to-date documentation, a friendly & active userbase helping to port the BeaSD to different architectures & new hardware, adopt to more use cases, and helping others by writing excellent how-tos."

Let's praise the yea free BeaSD & them contributors, commiters, ports(7) maintainers and Trihexagonal (vicariously selected for his desktop-from-scratch howto & current events).
Amen.

yea ≈ truly; “yes, thus, so" · Amen"it is true", "let it be so"; used colloquially, to express strong agreement.

Are you in the mood to write this week's BMW? I'm lazy & today I have no fresh ideas... If not, don't worry, I'll either find s/o else or just write one tomorrow.

First in time, first in line! The early bird gets the worm! The winner takes it all! Winner's prize:
  • Free freebsd-update(8) to the brand new, bleeding edge FreeBSD 13-RC3!
  • 10-year free subscription to all updates up to & including FreeBSD 20.4-RELEASE!
  • 5-year free subscription to the ports(7) tree including free download of all pre-built packages!
  • Lifetime free access to all mailing list archives, past & futurous!
  • Lifetime free access to the FreeBSD Forums, past & futurous!

Last edited:
This week's BMW wrote itself... :eek:

"Blessed are the disciples of the yea free BeaSD, for they have the finest code quality & (mostly) well working code review facilities, and a friendly & active core team constantly helping developers to improve their personal soft skills."

Let's praise the yea free BeaSD & them contributors, commiters, ports(7) maintainers and Jason A. Donenfeld (vicariously selected for his kind participation in a 2-week hackathon & review & current events (more in this month's hackers archive: look for WireGuard)).
Amen.

yea ≈ truly; “yes, thus, so" · Amen ≅ "it is true", "let it be so"; used colloquially, to express strong agreement.

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
Back