FuryBSD is dead..

If you want a BSD with a MATE desktop, look at GhostBSD.org . Download the .ISO ,. 'Dd' into a usb flash drive. Then boot from usb flash drive to run the live image. Like what you are using,. Use 'gbi' GhostBSD Installer to install the 'ZFS' file system onto a single partition.

Welcome and tryout GhostBSD. Nomadbsd.org is another desktop BSD that runs from usb flash drive.

GhostBSD is different from furyBSD in my humble opinion because it's not just a "plain" FreeBSD, whearas furybsd is a vanilla FreeBSD with a graphic installer.
I tried before to convert a ghostBSD into a plain FreeBSD without succes.

I heard an apple fell on his head one day, and realized how broken Linux was. The fact that he's the creator of the AppImage band aid is even more satisfying.

I tried it on a USB stick. I think it was based on 12.1 and it didn't recognize my wireless card. Unlike many people here (waves to Dr. H), I think that such efforts are a good thing and will pay off for FreeBSD. There are lots of downsides to popularity. (Debates claiming to be a famous person in real life, then realizes it's too easy to check). But, I really think that one reason Linux became so well supported by both hardware and software vendors was Ubuntu's making it easy to use. Back when it first came out, it was fairly unique in that respect. Ubuntu, I've heard, is a Swahili word, that translates as I'm too lazy to configure Debian.

The Applemage strode onto the battle field only to be turned into sauce by the AppleSage. Hello?
I don't know what you mean but I like AppImage more than Snap or Flatpak. Just feel like the old day with single executable portable Windows apps, created by tools like VMware ThinApp or Cameyo. Nowadays PortableApps rules the portable apps market on Windows.

BTW, we used to have something very similar to this, PBI or something? My first taste of FreeBSD is of PC-BSD Isotope.

Just to make sure everyone realizes, that translation of Ubuntu is just a joke. I believe its actual meaning is Unity, but I'm too lazy to check right now.

[...] I really think that one reason Linux became so well supported by both hardware and software vendors was Ubuntu's making it easy to use. [...]
If we spend ½ the time we're hanging around here to work creating FreeBSD Community Edition (& sub projects Kommunity, Xommunity, Qommunity, Gommunity for KDE/XfCE/LxQt/Gnome GUI), we might achieve a FreeBSD desktop "distro" that attracts newbies (incl. non-techies). But I'm staying away from one man shows (like FuryBSD was) & I'm for shure not going to start another one. See this thread.

If we spend ½ the time we're hanging around here to work creating FreeBSD Community Edition (& sub projects Kommunity, Xommunity, Qommunity, Gommunity for KDE/XfCE/LxQt/Gnome GUI), we might achieve a FreeBSD desktop "distro" that attracts newbies (incl. non-techies). But I'm staying away from one man shows (like FuryBSD was) & I'm for shure not going to start another one. See this thread.
There are a lot of people with good ideas for how to spend my time. You'll have to get in line. I'm at the head of line, BTW.

Edit: And my wife is right behind me.

I'm too lazy

Btw, I just gave Xfce another go with 4.16. Really clean and simple with the GTK3 update. More so than KDE. I'd back it as a default with FreeBSD, debian-style. I call it the pottery of DEs.. cupertino-style, redmond-style, whatever-style. Just use those hands sir.

Agree with this, but it is hard to achieve. Maintaining a desktop "distro" is a hard job and needs stable organization. The people, who already have a FreeBSD desktop do not see any reason to commit, and the people who do not use FreeBSD on desktop need to install their own desktops first before they are able to commit. A dead circle - Ouroboros.

Someone on twitter brought up the idea of the Ghost/Midnight/NomadBSD devs congregating around the helloSystem project. It looks promising. Who knows.

I remember, when FreeBSD hardware support was about the same as Linux's was (around the time of 4.x, I think), there was a great little live CD (probably USB too, but at that time, think I was more likely to use CDs) called FreeSBIE or something like that. It would keep up with the FreeBSD release, so it was a nice quick accurate test of how your hardware would work with an actual FreeBSD install. It ran fluxbox, so the GUI didn't slow things up very much. I guess lxde is probably the lightest of the desktop environments, as opposed to window managers like fluxbox and openbox, and might be a good choice.

Anyway, easy for me to type, and wait for others to do the work.

Someone on twitter brought up the idea of the Ghost/Midnight/NomadBSD devs congregating around the helloSystem project. It looks promising. Who knows.
Unfortunately, I think this will never happen.

Anyway, easy for me to type, and wait for others to do the work.
+1

I tried to persuade the MX Linux devs to create a MX BSD version but failed miserably. In the mind of Linux people, other alternative OSes just non-existent. There are only Windows, Linux, and MacOS.

If I have the knowledge (another way to say I'm not going to do it but just talk and waiting for others to do it), I would grab the MX Linux sources (art-work, need permission from them, their utilities, mx-tools, mx-packageinstaller,...) and make MX BSD myself (which almost will never happen).

MX BSD could exist in my wet dream, though.

Yes, typing is easy!

I don't know what you mean but I like AppImage more than Snap or Flatpak. Just feel like the old day with single executable portable Windows apps, created by tools like VMware ThinApp or Cameyo. Nowadays PortableApps rules the portable apps market on Windows.

I was making fun of Apple and the name they used.
BTW, we used to have something very similar to this, PBI or something? My first taste of FreeBSD is of PC-BSD Isotope.

PC-BSD Isotope 9.0. Then you might know me from posting in the forum. I was a beta tester from PC-BSD v.73 and left a few months after that version was released.

I only remember a guy named White Lightning I liked and talked to in the forums. He was the only one who showed any interest or seemed to understand what I was talking about. Oko remembered me but only me as somebody ranting about something, not who I was.

You would have known me as Weixiong. Someone they would have just as soon be forgotten along with what I knew but had let die from BSD memory. When they realized Trihexagonal was Weixiong to them they their best and went to extremes to make it happen by ghosting everything PC-BSD along with 7 years of my life. Try finding the wiki, forums, or anything PC-BSD. You won't because they no longer exist.

But I do. I'm jitte and to ghost me is beyond their power:

That's what you get for trying to ghost a Daemon, shortstuff. FuryBSD is more a worthwhile effort and malco_2001 worthy of trust and praise they are not.

Is that a Chinese word? Jitte in Japanese is a medieval police weapon. (Also called jutte).
Idle curiosity.

I was also active in the beginning on pcbsd forums, I think that somewhere in my scientifically named oldstuff, there's still an interview with Kris Moore for an online BSD magazine, not sure if it managed to produce an issue or not. Gosh, I've gotten old. :-( This was way back when, when PCBSD first started.

I am on the same boat we need to make it more accessible. Having said that, I am using it on my server environment (I hate GUI for that use as I am trying to squeeze as much from my server resources), and in my local Desktop it did took me forever/2 weekends due to my specific X11 setup (4 Screen / 3 GPU), but like previous have said is fairly easy to install GUI environment just requires some reading = X11 + Environment of Choice.

I am going to throw this out there because I am loving what these guys are doing:

ARCAN = This is what I want to use on my next test server build, make a compile FREEBSD + Durden Environment.

http://durden.arcan-fe.com/
https://arcan-fe.com/videos/

You would have known me as Weixiong.
FuryBSD is more a worthwhile effort and malco_2001 worthy of trust and praise they are not.
Yeah I remember this name. But that time I think you are just another Chinese folk. There are a lot of Chinese users of FreeBSD. It's easy to know because of their pinyin based account name.

I'm on the other hand don't value FuryBSD much. It's somewhat similar to another effort of the NetBSD users, OS108. I always prefer GhostBSD more. I think FuryBSD is not any better than your install desktop script.

I know there is NomadBSD, too, but I never liked it.

Back