Solved Can't install sddm themes

Hi everybody,

I have some difficulties to install global themes. Investigating, I've found out sddm theme installation was the cause.
Performing sddmthemeinstaller -i ....zip exits with 255.
As causing system-wide modification, I've guessed it could be a authorization trouble. Indeed, sudo sddmthemeinstall -i ... succeeds.

I've discovered it's managed by polkit.
Hence, I've tried to change rules of action org.kde.kcontrol.kcmsddm.uninstalltheme :

/usr/local/share/polkit-1/rules.d/ is empty.
/usr/local/etc/polkit-1/rules.d constains 50-default.rules :

Code:
/* -*- mode: js; js-indent-level: 4; indent-tabs-mode: nil -*- */

// DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE, it will be overwritten on update
//
// Default rules for polkit
//
// See the polkit(8) man page for more information
// about configuring polkit.

polkit.addAdminRule(function(action, subject) {
return ["unix-group:wheel"];

The question is : how may I adapt sddm theme installation's permission for a normal user ? What am i supposed to do ?
Is there no GUI to grant actions ?

Thanks a lot.

Yes, that's what I did before posting because I previously reviewed similar subject upon the forum.
Because, indeed, plasma5-sddm-kcm-5.20.5 was not installed initially.
But before posting here, I've already installed plasma5-sddm-kcm-5.20.5.
pkg info | grep kcm
kf5-kcmutils-5.77.0 KF5 utilities for working with KCModules
plasma5-sddm-kcm-5.20.5 Plasma5 config module for SDDM

To make your mind, this is what I obtain :
Screenshot_20210131_111014.png

Screenshot_20210131_111319.png

As you can see, I've tried to install Sweet sddm theme.
Note : No authentication dialog appears on Install click.

Thank you for your help, Alexander.

AFAIK the integration of kf5-kdesu is not done there; either not yet, or intentionally to protect users from shooting in their feet; the login screen is vital & shall always work reliable. You can adjust visudo(8) to forward X11 environ(7)ment variables, and then call sudo systemsettings5 from within a terminal in your graphical (K)DE session. I recommend strongly against downloading stuff from that Discover or SDDM themes from the systemsettings GUI, because these things are often very Linux'ish and do not work well under FreeBSD. What's so important with the login theme? Keep the stable defaults...

I've discovered it's managed by polkit.
Hence, I've tried to change rules of action org.kde.kcontrol.kcmsddm.uninstalltheme :

/usr/local/share/polkit-1/rules.d/ is empty.
/usr/local/etc/polkit-1/rules.d constains 50-default.rules :

Code:
/* -*- mode: js; js-indent-level: 4; indent-tabs-mode: nil -*- */

// DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE, it will be overwritten on update
//
// Default rules for polkit
//
// See the polkit(8) man page for more information
// about configuring polkit.

polkit.addAdminRule(function(action, subject) {
return ["unix-group:wheel"];

The question is : how may I adapt sddm theme installation's permission for a normal user ? What am i supposed to do
Is your user a member of the wheel group? That seems to be the requirement above code suggests. When I open the sddm settings panel it says "You will be asked to authenticate before saving" where you get "You are not allowed to save the configuration".

I try this, immediately.

Seems not to be concluant... :rolleyes:
Is your user a member of the wheel group? That seems to be the requirement above code suggests. When I open the sddm settings panel it says "You will be asked to authenticate before saving" where you get "You are not allowed to save the configuration"

It works but Retart, Shutdown and so on icons are not present but buttons are functional.

Thank you, Mjölnir
Have a nice day
Yes, retart is a nice typo ;) Well, I told you not to download Linux'ish stuff... the theme you installed might reference a button image/font/whatever, or a path, that is not from standard KDE but available only on the creator's system, and not on FreeBSD. I changed the background image of the standard theme, that's enough customization for me; YMMV.

Yes, retart is a nice typo ;) Well, I told you not to download Linux'ish stuff... the theme you installed might reference a button image/font/whatever, or a path, that is not from standard KDE but available only on the creator's system, and not on FreeBSD. I changed the background image of the standard theme, that's enough customization for me; YMMV.
Ah ! Ok ! I understand better now.

Thank you, again, Mjölnir

Back