New bootloader in FreeBSD...

Shodan appears to be the character in the image. Is there a new bootloader used? or a style or adjustment to the current one that allows more complex graphics?

View: https://twitter.com/VPostnicov/status/1350112351022948352

It's possible after commit 3630506. Look at src/stand/lua/gfx-orb.lua and src/stand/images/freebsd-logo-rev.png.

Splash screens were also capable of graphical images before the session manager or window manager started.

If they chuck in a simple text editor into the boot loader, you would pretty much have a self contained OS akin to the BBC micro or ZX Spectrum! Perhaps they can install it on school computers to teach kids programming whist ensuring they don't get distracted.

I personally feel having Lua (or even any graphical output) in the FreeBSD bootloader absolutely bizarre as a decision but it doesn't really hurt anything I suppose.

I personally feel having Lua (or even any graphical output) in the FreeBSD bootloader absolutely bizarre as a decision but it doesn't really hurt anything I suppose.
It replaces Forth. loader(8) always had a language. The whole beasty menu and everything around it is coded in Forth (hence the *.4th extension of the files).

The Lua based loader has been available for a while now. It's not exactly "new".

It replaces Forth. loader(8) always had a language. The whole beasty menu and everything around it is coded in Forth (hence the *.4th extension of the files).
Yep, I remember having a fiddle with the .4th stuff around the 9.x/10.x release. For a brief time, the BTX loader developed an issue booting from my DVD drive if I recall. From all the customization that Forth provided, I still needed to recompile the whole thing regardless to apply the fix and make it work.

Oddly enough I actually quite liked the Forth language but I still think it was overkill for a boot loader. Same thoughts about Lua really.

I don't know about overkill, maybe correct tool for the time. Freed up space constraints allow for more flexibility now.

Back