Check base system for obsolete or orphaned files

After several freebsd-updates I ran today in an issue with /lib/libreadline conflicting with /usr/local/lib/libreadline. The former (/lib/libreadline) seems to be a left over from a previous FreeBSD version.
After removing the old one in /lib and running ldconfig the bash shell started to work again.
Is there some tooling which checks the base system and reports these kind of 'left overs'? I've noticed there a still some old binaries still in the base from previous releases.
I tried 'freebsd-update IDS' but it did not report those files.

Is there some tooling which checks the base system and reports these kind of 'left overs'?
If you have the source tree installed (/usr/src/) you can run make delete-old and make delete-old-libs. You may want to set BATCH_DELETE_OLD_FILES or it's going to ask if you want to remove each and every file (which can be a lot).

I've noticed there a still some old binaries still in the base from previous releases.
When you do a major version upgrade you need to run freebsd-update(8) three times. The first install run only updates the kernel, the second install installs the userland and that third time removes the old libraries and executables.

Reactions: a6h
Back