It's all about jokes, funny pics...

Ah really, what you prefer, to lay on the sunny beach and do nothing versus learning 10'000 millions pages to master karate ?

Here you go. ☯⛩👨‍🎨
Karate-Judo-Savate.jpg

When you put a container on a truck, it's called shipping.
When you put a container on a ship, it's called cargo.
Is this branch of reality really meant for production?

Re the comic book ad for karate, prior to Asian martial arts, it was the Charles Atlas stuff. After karate it was Kung fu and such. Now, it's probably MMA. I guess that many of us who are into comics have an urge to get more muscular? (Like the heroes we read about). :)

Back to funny, I was thinking how Shakespeare's "Exit, pursued by a bear is funny on first reading", but is really kind of sad, as the implication is that the human is killed by the bear. Hrrm, that's not really funny either. Ok, Cracked.com had an article mentioning how Jack Johnson, received racial insults in the early 1900's and hypothesized what they might be, including "Your Netflix queue is trite and derivative!"

Back in the day when violence solved everything...

atlas.jpg

His system is Dynamic Tension, or isometrics. Push one hand against another for a brief period and that's isometrics.

If you can build a Charles Atlas body with isometrics I'll sail my cardboard Polaris Nuclear Submarine to China and sink their navy wth my awesome armaments.

polaris.jpg

Surrender now if you know what's good for you, your Wu Shu doesn't frighten me.

I did actually buy a Ju-Jitsu book out of the back of a comic I've had over 50 years, I'm going to donate it to the local School as a novelty item. Wish I had gotten one of those computers...

Hence the humor section. And we haven't even gotten to the fact that developed muscles don't mean you would be good at fighting. I think it took me one karate class to realize there's no magic, just hard work, like anything else. Want to kick someone in the head? Start stretching. And working on speed and deception, because if they see it coming, they'll block it. :-(.

I remember some martial arts book I read in my youth with the very wise comment to the effect that movies, manga, and so on, show us the hero overcoming difficult odds with a few quick blows. What was left out was the hours and hours and hours of training. (These days, we have montages, but anyone who has been involved in any sport, dance, or physical activity knows how much harder it is than said montage.)

I think it took me one karate class to realize there's no magic, just hard work, like anything else. Want to kick someone in the head? Start stretching. And working on speed and deception, because if they see it coming, they'll block it. :-(.

I remember some martial arts book I read in my youth with the very wise comment to the effect that movies, manga, and so on, show us the hero overcoming difficult odds with a few quick blows. What was left out was the hours and hours and hours of training.

I didn't say anything when I posted that karate master ad for Spartrekus because I thought it was one of the funnier things he's said, but I'm a purple belt (5th kyu) in Shotokan and went to two different Shotokan schools at the same time for 2-3 years.

I started at the YMCA going 2 nights a week for 2 hours. a night When the other school opened which met on alternate nights I immediately enrolled. They were well known Nidan and kumite was their thing so we fought every night. The other school concentrated more on kata and correct form but we sparred too.

Once I was promoted to purple belt my Sensei downtown assigned me to teach the Beginner Class while one of them taught the Intermediate Class. Then I would join in for the Advanced Class for a total of 2.5 hours a night twice a week.

I also rode a mountain bike 10 miles a day. and sometime on Saturday one of my Sensei from the Y, another purple belt and I would drive to St. Louis to train with the Sensei of my Sensei of the school downtown who was a Sandan. When we did a Demo I would demonstrate a Speed Break by breaking a board hanging on a string.

So yes, there is a lot of hard work, discipline and determination involved and it doesn't come from a book. That was in the 80's but I still hold Rank and have my Certificate of Rank on my living room wall.

Firstly, congratulations, I have a belt in Oyama Karate, (used to be Kyokushin, but they broke up after some financial quarrels) and though I had surgery a couple of years ago, which means I may never be able to kick over my head again, I have some knowledge of the work. Yeah, I think we all realized that, especially now, when the Internet makes reseach much easier, we realize (at least when we grow up a bit--when I was 9 years old and reading comics, I probably didn't know) that these ads are, in retrospect, pretty funny.
And thank you for sharing.

Want to kick someone in the head? Start stretching. And working on speed and deception, because if they see it coming, they'll block it. :-(.
... or worse.
Try that with a (retired) SAS guy (or equivalent) and find your seat facing anatomy being handed to you in a much ungentleman and unsporting way.

Bottom line: much of todays martial arts is so watered down that it becomes a threat to the practitioners, as Mushashi wrote. It is sports. But those schools that are not can not hold matches or competitions because it is too dangerous.

And one thing about Charles Atlas: he tried to answer each fan letter to him personally. Today that is not possible.

Bottom line: much of todays martial arts is so watered down that it becomes a threat to the practitioners, as Mushashi wrote. It is sports. But those schools that are not can not hold matches or competitions because it is too dangerous.

I trained briefly in BudoKan and can't speak to the rest but can assure you Shotokan is not watered down and if forced to fight designed to finish it with one punch. You learn control and can stop on the skin when sparring.

Behold, Nukite Speed Break with the fingertips only. You'll hear him say it's a pleasurable technique to use in the throat. That's the funny part of this to me, the rest is strictly business.

The Heian (Peace and Calmness) kata he speaks of is one of the 5 Heian kata you test on that take you through to purple belt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ants play? Let me guess, there is an extension set with a squash court?

Back