Other Sway wayland tiling window manager now in the main repo

Sway is a wayland tiling window manager that is intend as replacement for i3wm

The i3wm tiling window manager is as the French would say "les couettes des chiens"

Sway requires Wayland,
running pkg search wayland returns these results

Bash:
kf5-kwayland-5.56.0            KF5 Client and Server library wrapper for the Wayland libraries
plasma5-kwayland-integration-5.15.3 Integration plugins for a Wayland-based desktop
qt5-wayland-5.12.1             Qt5 wrapper for Wayland
wayland-1.16.0_1               Wayland composite "server"
wayland-protocols-1.17         Wayland protocols
waylandpp-0.2.5                Wayland C++ bindings
xwayland-1.19.1_11,1           X Clients under Wayland

Mods correct me if im wrong,
but i would have thought that Sway wouldnt have been added to the main repo if Wayland wasn't ready as well

So it looks like Freebsd now has a Wayland tiling window manager

If anyone can confirm that Wayland is now working on Freebsd i may bite the bullet and try switching from i3wm to Sway,
you are supposed to be able to use your i3wm config files with Sway.

So in theory it should be easy to switch from i3wm using Xorg to Sway using Wayland.

Sway is working on FreeBSD I tried it 2 months ago, but without tray support (unsatisfied dependency on systemd-logind)

Since sway is a drop in replacement for i3wm, what would the French call sway?
I learned French by watching a BBC documentary series in the 80s about life in occupied Europe under Nazi rule,
the series has been widely praised for it realism and historically accurate depiction of the French resistance's role in fighting the Nazi in the second world war.

I seem to remember it won a Bafta at the time.

If you like history and are interested in learning more about French culture its worth a look.

im sure any French members on the forum will attest to its authenticity,
and you cant even tell that the actors were English because the accents are so good

My French is a bit rusty so ill have to give watch the series again to pick up the lingo

Anyway the series was called 'Allo 'Allo,
and is worth a look if you like history documentaries

Sway is working on FreeBSD I tried it 2 months ago, but without tray support (unsatisfied dependency on systemd-logind)
So i guess that means there is no i3status like tray

Did you have any issue with any programs like video players,
or anything else that wouldnt work with wayland

So i guess that means there is no i3status like tray
No, it doesn't. I've spoken about https://standards.freedesktop.org/systemtray-spec/systemtray-spec-latest.html
Swaybar works. Sure thing, some options are linux-centric, but you can always write your sh implementation.

Did you have any issue with any programs like video players,
or anything else that wouldnt work with wayland
General XWayland limitations are applied for X applications. (Like, X screenshoter can't grab wayland windows and similar). nvidia proprietary won't work as well.

I didn't get that one and now I am curious ;). What does "couettes des chiens" mean ?
If you use google translate and convert French to English it may give the incorrect answer of

"the duvets of the dogs"

The correct English translation is:

The Dogs Boll***s

If you use google translate and convert French to English
Usually, I don't need to : I am French. But I have no idea what "couettes des chiens" means. I can't think of any expression equivalent to "Dogs Boll***s" that would be event close to that. This is why I was curious in the first place.

Usually, I don't need to : I am French. But I have no idea what "couettes des chiens" means. I can't think of any expression equivalent to "Dogs Boll***s" that would be event close to that. This is why I was curious in the first place.
Excuse my butchery of the French language,
my Great, Great Grandmother was French so i should have a better grasp of the lingo

Last time i was i France was many years ago and the only phrase i could master was

deux frites un orangina

Back