Solved Are Raven Ridge / Ryzen 5 2400G graphics supported on FreeBSD?

I'd like to install FreeBSD, but my computer has Ryzen 5 2400G as its CPU (APU) and I'm not able to find any recent post on whether the graphics on it work or not, so... Do they work? If they do, do they run smoothly without bugs? I'm ready to use adevelopment release if I have to do that.

I decided to try it, and works fine (1080p at 60 FPS videos play fine, but anything above that is gonna start to struggle a bit) on 12.0-STABLE with drm-fbsd12.0-kmod after kldloading amdgpu. Running FreeBSD in UEFI mode.

Last edited:
Thanks for your self-answer :)
It's always good to know this in case someone gets the same hardware in the future. I for one have been looking at AMD for my next build as well, so the more information in here the better.

I decided to try it, and works fine (1080p at 60 FPS videos play fine, but anything above that is gonna start to struggle a bit) on 12.0-STABLE with drm-fbsd12.0-kmod after kldloading amdgpu. Running FreeBSD in UEFI mode.

Hi Asdew,

How did you solve it? I have bought an Asrock a300 barebone, with the AMD Ryzen 2400g, and I can't get it running with FreeBSD 12.

How did you solve it, if I may ask?

Hi Asdew,

How did you solve it? I have bought an Asrock a300 barebone, with the AMD Ryzen 2400g, and I can't get it running with FreeBSD 12.

How did you solve it, if I may ask?
I installed drm-fbsd12.0-kmod, ran kldload amdgpu as root and followed this to set the driver to amdgpu. Remember that the performance isn't great or even good. It plays 1080p videos fine, but really isn't of any use when doing something requiring more performance.

Would you mind sharing the version of your BIOS? I've read a few things that would indicate that newer BIOS versions have a problem with the amdgpu driver (here in another thread about the 2400G and here on GitHub) and adding to that, the BIOS of my motherboard (ASRock B450M Pro4) is an older version, 1.20.

Hi Asdew,

i have the Bios version 1.10 i never updated the Bios yet. When i ran the kldload amdgpu as root, i lost my ssh access and have only a black screen.

Have you do this step?

/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-radeon.conf
Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "radeon"
EndSection

It does not work, display is black and i get no response in ssh access. :-(
Okay. You should try opening a new thread and asking there. The BIOS you have is the oldest available for the motherboard and it's just a few months old. It seems possible that there was a BIOS update released somewhere in the last autumn that changed something that broke the graphics. Sadly your motherboard doesn't have an older BIOS with which to test that.

It's always good to know this in case someone gets the same hardware in the future. I for one have been looking at AMD for my next build as well, so the more information in here the better.

That would be me. Had that exact question. Thinking of building a FreeBSD system around the AMD Ryzen 5 2400G APU in a mini-ITX form factor as an HTPC among other services. All I need is 1080p right now, but would be nice to support higher resolutions down the road.

Back