Create something like PBI with current ports/pkg system?

After encountered a bunch of not working pkg-s and other constant problems with them I became curios about how unrightfully forgotten BPI works?

Can someone summarize the mechanics?

What can be made to create something like BPI with current ports\pkg system?

That's PBI, some PC-BSD package. IDK if the "Project Trident" is using something similar.

Btw, PBI is not a FreeBSD technology and so it fall in:

After encountered a bunch of not working pkg-s and other constant problems with them I became curios about how unrightfully forgotten BPI works?

Can someone summarize the mechanics?

I got my start with BSD in 2005 as a beta tester for PC-BSD when it was at v0.73 and they used the .pbi system back then.

It reminded me of a Windows .exe and the reason I taught myself to use ports, black sheep of that feckless flock before infamously fleeing to freedom and FreeBSD. I have never regretted doing so and used ports exclusively since.

Ports and pkg can be problematic at times but it's well worth the effort to learn about them and you'd be doing yourself a disservice by relying on your clicking finger to install 3rd party programs IMO.

Could you please explain what BPI is? A quick web search (including for "BPI package") didn't find anything.
As I understand it was a port installed into chrooted environment witch some of its dependencies.
The was EasyPBI GUI program on top of PBI cli utilits.
This packages was used in PC-BSD and FreeNAS.

IDK if the "Project Trident" is using something similar.
As I known it is not.

Btw, PBI is not a FreeBSD technology and so it fall in:
It is closely tied with FreeBSD ports. So it is.
And topic is about mechanics of today FreeBSD package system in the key of PBI like technology.

Ports and pkg can be problematic at times but it's well worth the effort to learn about them and you'd be doing yourself a disservice by relying on your clicking finger to install 3rd party programs IMO.
Ports is not a software management system.
They a dependency and build management system. As any other package manager in unix world.
Clicking fingers have nothing to do witch topic. Though, installing and removing software must be as simple as one mouse click.
Windows way with random exe files from random sources is harmful, but this is not what about I talking.

@Nyakov Don't make me close this thread too.
I am not really happy with offtopic as well if this is a problem. But it seems people a really interested in this kind of subjects.
I will try to ignore offtopic messages from now.

Back