Thanks vs Reactions

What kind of feedback Forum's posts should have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks is more than enough in my opinion because this is a forum with general conversations taking place rather than blog posts or status updates which are what you would generally give more reactions to.

Less reactions, but not 1.

No reason for angry and sad. Dislike has had problems on other forums. No reason for wow, because like covers that. Like covers love too.

The only reactions that are necessary are thanks, like and maybe funny. Like can also cover funny, but it is different enough. On voting, one thing that has happened is, that the more options there are, the less people vote on them, because it gets too complex. When there are less options, people usually ask for more. Two or three is appropriate, with thanks being the default.

Reaction score: Probably useful in China where social scoring is exploding. Putting scores on people is not in line with freedom.

Yes, I meant the rule itself regarding "thanks".

I only just noticed that the new XenForo update also included a bunch of other reactions. Just hover your mouse over the "Thanks" button.

Dislike has had problems on other forums.
Yeah, I've seen that one get abused too. Especially when it was linked to an auto-ban feature. People would gang up on somebody and get them banned quite easily.

I kind of wish the default was the "thumbs up" but it really doesn't matter - a little hard to see the default is actually a handshake. I thought it was some sort of odd colored heart the first time I saw it :)

I think, "full set of reactions" meaning typical short answers by clicking instead of writing text (but perhaps not the primitive ones under Thanks button).

I kind of wish the default was the "thumbs up" but it really doesn't matter - a little hard to see the default is actually a handshake. I thought it was some sort of odd colored heart the first time I saw it :)
I think default should be thanks, because then a vote will get a thumbs up, when it should have gotten a thanks. Switching to a thumbs up, takes effort, and if that's the one that's fitting, they'll use that one.

* and let the ones who want like to be the default to switch that default for themselves. But for newcomers they'll use the first one they'll see, if they do use it. Thanks is more appropriate for comments that helped them solve problems with their OS, than like.

Last edited:
I think there is a difference between a “thanks” and a “like”. I often find something that someone has posted that I agree with, I’d like to show that but “thanks” doesn’t quite cut it.
The “Haha” reaction is harmless, in my opinion, but I don’t see a good place for the others.

Why are profit oriented companies putting this bag of worms over us by such "features"?

The social media industry knows how to exploit people. They are exploiting the desire for sharing emotions. And by expressing emotions by click they become data measurable, good for analytics on those people and on relations between people.

Now what is the purpose of our FreeBSD-Forum? Providing data for analytics?

I do not hesitate to write a message saying "thank you" for helping me. Even in contrary to Rule #12: FreeBSD Forums Rules. In fact I will ignore that rule if the reaction score madness is not reverted. No more thanks clicks from me anymore but messages instead from now on.

Should the Forums follow social networks' trends?
IMO this problem is much more general in its nature, than just this thanks confusion…
XenForo team started to copycat facebook features and design solutions few versions ago,
after forum update, as far as I remember in end of 2017, when dickbar appeared. Now, with every
new version, forum starts to be more and more like housewife mobile phone social network,
and not like technical resource about OS…
I see this contrast very well, because I'm using only 2 forums, first one is fast,
well designed, lightweight and handy SMF forum, and second one is forums.freebsd.org,
which is in fact facebook-like resource for now… What is interesting, that this forum
(which should be optimized for mobile phone usage) is much slower than any other forum software,
especially when using mobile phones… Probably Xenforo team think that copying and
implementing FaceBook features is a very good strategy, because such features are
very popular among some housewives, but, IMO, such strategy is very unsuitable for such
technical resource like forums.freebsd is, because most of FreeBSD users are not
housewives or facebook fanatics for sure.
Here is screenshot from days when this resource wasn't bad at all, there were no
dickbars, no emotions... At that date XenForo forum software was pretty usable,
while now, IMO, it is a total disaster. It is pretty popular forum software,
but Britney Spears is popular too, but that doesn't mean that she produces good music,
her music is shit, also Windows is popular OS too, but it sucks, macos is popular... etc, etc, etc.
124-png.6030

I think there is a difference between a “thanks” and a “like”. I often find something that someone has posted that I agree with, I’d like to show that but “thanks” doesn’t quite cut it.
The “Haha” reaction is harmless, in my opinion, but I don’t see a good place for the others.
+1
(Making a point relating to rule #12)
I guess making a new post for thanks and like is static.

I use "thanks" when something good suggested or try to provide some solution. Use "like" for some views and opinions. Others are not required for this forum. Actually "thanks" would be sufficient for me.

IMO this problem is much more general in its nature, than just this thanks confusion…
XenForo team started to copycat facebook features and design solutions few versions ago,
after forum update, as far as I remember in end of 2017, when dickbar appeared. Now, with every
new version, forum starts to be more and more like housewife mobile phone social network,
and not like technical resource about OS…
I see this contrast very well, because I'm using only 2 forums, first one is fast,
well designed, lightweight and handy SMF forum, and second one is forums.freebsd.org,
which is in fact facebook-like resource for now… What is interesting, that this forum
(which should be optimized for mobile phone usage) is much slower than any other forum software,
especially when using mobile phones… Probably Xenforo team think that copying and
implementing FaceBook features is a very good strategy, because such features are
very popular among some housewives, but, IMO, such strategy is very unsuitable for such
technical resource like forums.freebsd is, because most of FreeBSD users are not
housewives or facebook fanatics for sure.
Here is screenshot from days when this resource wasn't bad at all, there were no
dickbars, no emotions... At that date XenForo forum software was pretty usable,
while now, IMO, it is a total disaster. It is pretty popular forum software,
but Britney Spears is popular too, but that doesn't mean that she produces good music,
her music is shit, also Windows is popular OS too, but it sucks, macos is popular... etc, etc, etc.
124-png.6030

Honestly, I'm a big proponent of lightweight designs, but I find this forum engine quite cool. The one thing that somehow put me off was the Facebook-like wall on profiles where people write status messages. But i'm actually surprising myself checking these walls once in a while, so I guess they add value to the community.

What worries me with the emojis is the potential for toxicity of some of them, like thumb down. The atmosphere is very positive here, and I think it's going to be toxic if people become worried of being voted down because of what they want to say. It's better to only give people the option to like (or thank), or say nothing. For are we really interested in building up negative energy? With thanks only, the atmosphere is focused on contributing and trying to be helpful, not on judging people, or politicizing discussions. Not all emotions should be welcome in a professional environment.

What personally I dislike, are some design changes and dickbar,
which follows you everywhere, forum was pretty good and usable
in 2017 (screenshot above). IMO, there is no need to follow
these social network trends, because it's a forum, first of all.
(Also I heavily dislike that almost everything works on javascript here,
often, it is much faster and handy just to change your current page,
but not to see loading bar for much longer period of time at top of page,
when, for example, you're trying to see new notifications.)

What worries me, is that situation with forum design is getting uglier and uglier,
with every update. And, it seems, nobody wants to change it. I like wall on profiles too, BTW,
but IMO there is no need in dickbar, which always covers 4 lines of text everywhere and of course
in these "thanks emotions". Forum should be much more usable on desktops,
mobile phone shouldn't be the targeted platform for the resource about OS (IMO).
Снимок экрана от 2019-02-09 22-19-51.png

I use "thanks" when something good suggested or try to provide some solution. Use "like" for some views and opinions.
Yeah, and blowjob"kiss" emotion is also strongly required here, to kiss and hug forum members :D

RzzU0fF.png
RzzU0fF.png
RzzU0fF.png

9L7VqJm.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back