Multiple user-interfaces

Hi there!

After much of trouble with the ports I installed BSD with success and I was able to boot Gnome. But I got bored so I started do wonder if I could install KDE next to Gnome. It worked to install kDE but now here's my problem:

I commented out the lines "gdm_enable="YES" and "gnome_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf so that Gnome wouldn't be able to boot. Instead I wrote the line "kdm4_enable="YES". I didn't chance the line for proc in /etc/fstab or add a new one. But KDE doesn't boot.

To sum up, it doesn't work with KDE but with Gnome. Did I forget something or is it maybe not possible to have installed two GUIs at the same time? Any ideas?

Thanks and greetings :)

Hello and welcome on board!

Have you tried following the instructions included in the Handbook?

I don't use either one of these two, so any help I can offer in that matter will be limited to just this.

Hello and welcome on board!

Have you tried following the instructions included in the Handbook?

I don't use either one of these two, so any help I can offer in that matter will be limited to just this.

Yes, I followed the instructions. Else I would not have accomplished to install something because my main-machine is Linux. :D So all of theese things are done. I guess the problem could be the proc But thanks anyway! :)

You can have as many desktop environments and window managers as there are, they shouldn't conflict.

The problem here seems to be the login manager GDM. I don't have any experience with it, but I heard that it can mess things up when deactivated etc.

You can have as many desktop environments and window managers as there are, they shouldn't conflict.

The problem here seems to be the login manager GDM. I don't have any experience with it, but I heard that it can mess things up when deactivated etc.

Thanks for your answer.
Okay, maybe I have to specify my searchings. I will have a closer look at GDM.

This is not supposedly to work since there is no KDE4 in the tree anymore; however it may still be alive in the quarterly repository for now.

How did you install KDE? Plasma5 uses x11/sddm (KDM is dead since years).

Oh okay, I didn't know about. I installed KDE4 because I followed the documentation. So I used the Ports, via the folder x11 and KDE4 in the ports.
So you want to say that I have to install Plasma5 instead of KDE or don't I understand you correctly? :D

The handbook is updated since yesterday ;)

Uh okay, I haved a look. Crazy, mistakes are quite simple. Sometimes I remember "Have you tried to turn your Computer off and on again" because it's the same class of errors.
Anyway, thanks! Now I hope I can keep working. :D

Back