Solved i3bar disappears when switch by mouse to workspace with lot of windows

Hi there,

I switched to i3 recently and only after upgrading my freeBSD to version 12 (on FreeBSD 10 and 11 I was running WindowMaker).
i3wm in general is working perfectly so far the only noticeable and super annoying issue I'm having is with the i3bar; which disappears every time I have a workspace loaded with Windows (tiles) and I use the mouse to switch between workspaces.
I raised an issue on i3 github https://github.com/i3/i3/issues/3579 and been acknowledged as a reproducible bug, yet it seems they are not super keen to fix/debug it.
So the question,
  • is this happening with anyone else?
  • and if yes what you've done as a fix or workaround?
As stated in github issue, I tried using the config file shipped with i3, my customized config file, and my config file without the i3status and the i3bar behavior didn't change.

Thanks

I'm using x11-wm/i3 since 2014 and never encounter that bug you mention. Now I'm using x11-wm/i3-gaps, but on a vbox FreeBSD 12.0 I have x11-wm/i3 and I don't have that error.
Well it only happens if you heavily split a workspace and tried to switch by mouse, note I am running i3 on dual screens, but the i3 project member was able to reproduce it on a VM.
Do you know of a good replacement to i3bar?
do you use compositor? I will try tonight to disable it and see if I still get that behavior

Do you know of a good replacement to i3bar?
do you use compositor? I will try tonight to disable it and see if I still get that behavior

Some people replace i3bar with x11/polybar or x11/dzen2 but I'm using i3bar+x11/i3blocks and for compositor I use x11-wm/compton. As for your bug, probably it does not appear on my machine because I'm not using mouse that often. After all the purpose of a tiling window manager is to be used by keyboard and less by mouse.

Some people replace i3bar with x11/polybar or x11/dzen2 but I'm using i3bar+x11/i3blocks and for compositor I use x11-wm/compton. As for your bug, probably it does not appear on my machine because I'm not using mouse that often. After all the purpose of a tiling window manager is to be used by keyboard and less by mouse.
Do you start your Compton with any special configuration?
I use the keyboard most of the times, but since I realised this behaivour with the mouse I couldn't stop myself trying to reproduce it (human nature I guess)

Apparently, it is not a freeBSD issue. They were able to reproduce it in Linux as well so it is getting some attention now https://github.com/i3/i3/pull/3585.
Yet, I gave i3 another thought -after reading about its IPC problems and design issues - and decided to switch to dwm as it is much simpler and cleaner. I found dwm super awesome and the default features/keybindings are perfectly put together, just needed few customisations here and there and it is up and running without any issue. Thanks a lot

Back