Solved i3bar disappears when switch by mouse to workspace with lot of windows

blueCub

Hi there,

I switched to i3 recently and only after upgrading my freeBSD to version 12 (on FreeBSD 10 and 11 I was running WindowMaker).
i3wm in general is working perfectly so far the only noticeable and super annoying issue I'm having is with the i3bar; which disappears every time I have a workspace loaded with Windows (tiles) and I use the mouse to switch between workspaces.
I raised an issue on i3 github https://github.com/i3/i3/issues/3579 and been acknowledged as a reproducible bug, yet it seems they are not super keen to fix/debug it.
So the question,
  • is this happening with anyone else?
  • and if yes what you've done as a fix or workaround?
As stated in github issue, I tried using the config file shipped with i3, my customized config file, and my config file without the i3status and the i3bar behavior didn't change.

Thanks

OP
OP
blueCub

blueCub

I'm using x11-wm/i3 since 2014 and never encounter that bug you mention. Now I'm using x11-wm/i3-gaps, but on a vbox FreeBSD 12.0 I have x11-wm/i3 and I don't have that error.
Well it only happens if you heavily split a workspace and tried to switch by mouse, note I am running i3 on dual screens, but the i3 project member was able to reproduce it on a VM.
Do you know of a good replacement to i3bar?
do you use compositor? I will try tonight to disable it and see if I still get that behavior

Minbari

Do you know of a good replacement to i3bar?
do you use compositor? I will try tonight to disable it and see if I still get that behavior
Some people replace i3bar with x11/polybar or x11/dzen2 but I'm using i3bar+x11/i3blocks and for compositor I use x11-wm/compton. As for your bug, probably it does not appear on my machine because I'm not using mouse that often. After all the purpose of a tiling window manager is to be used by keyboard and less by mouse.

OP
OP
blueCub

blueCub

Some people replace i3bar with x11/polybar or x11/dzen2 but I'm using i3bar+x11/i3blocks and for compositor I use x11-wm/compton. As for your bug, probably it does not appear on my machine because I'm not using mouse that often. After all the purpose of a tiling window manager is to be used by keyboard and less by mouse.
Do you start your Compton with any special configuration?
I use the keyboard most of the times, but since I realised this behaivour with the mouse I couldn't stop myself trying to reproduce it (human nature I guess)

OP
OP
blueCub

blueCub

Apparently, it is not a freeBSD issue. They were able to reproduce it in Linux as well so it is getting some attention now https://github.com/i3/i3/pull/3585.
Yet, I gave i3 another thought -after reading about its IPC problems and design issues - and decided to switch to dwm as it is much simpler and cleaner. I found dwm super awesome and the default features/keybindings are perfectly put together, just needed few customisations here and there and it is up and running without any issue. Thanks a lot