Which games could I play in this platform?

Sensucht94 I want to tell you 3 things important.
I must tell that by here or I can start a conversation with you?

Open Source Brutal-Doom mod works perfectly on zdoom:

2018-04-23-003611_1920x1080_scrot.png

#openbsd-gaming group has scheduled Quake matches for this Saturday on default (british) server q.pertho.net at 20:00 UTC. The recommended client to use is games/ezquake. Other BSD users are welcome. Refer to #openbsd-gaming IRC channel on Freenode if interested (usually it gets populated only on Saturday); user mulander is the admin ;)

rjohn No but I'll try it. In a VM, of course.
I remember that warcraft is a game of windows...so I need the original files, right?

Can somebody give me some names of games that runs well in this OS?
Version: 11.1-RELEASE-p6. I think that it's the latest.
Processor: I think i386. To the day of day, still I don't have very clear what my processor is. But somebody time ago give me a clue.
The games could be from Linux, Windows, whatever. Or originals from this OS. If they're from the last, that would be surprising. Because the only games that I know came with the desktop environment. For example: if I (try) to use KDE, well, when I installed it, it came with kolf, kblock, kbounce, kdiamond, everything with "k". That kind of games. The kind of games that can bother after a while of playing them.
That's why I'm asking for something...I don't know, like HL(2), or Portal, or Halo, Counter-Strike (like the latest version, not the ones from 90'), I don't know, something of that style. Or at least, something approximated. Searching in google, I didn't found much.

Yes, their are a lot of games you can play on FreeBSD. My personal favorites are OpenMW and OpenSpades. I also run steam through WINE, im able to play most games but some are giving me hard times. Just make sure you use 11.2 release with drm-next-kmod to get the best performance out of it.

I think I wrote a response here some time ago. I don't know if back then I mentioned Quake4 as well. If you have a Quake4-DVD, just do a pkg install linux-quake4 and as root copy the necessary files from the original DVD into the right directory as explained in the package message. To learn the right path in FreeBSD do a pkg info -l linux-quake4
I did that right yesterday and it looks so f***** awesome, with ultra settings and 16:10 widescreen!

Same thing with Doom3 and Resurrection of Evil.

The fantastic games/julius (Caesar III OSS re-implementation) was added in May to the ports tree.
Truly recommended, though I may be biased providing Caesar2/3 represented a key part of my childhood :)

Why? You wouldn't get anything from that. The performance and quality with linux compat works just fine. What really would be necessary is a port of the linux-steam-client or even better a native FreeBSD Steam client. Does anybody know if the Linux steam-client works with linux_base-c7?

Does anybody know if the Linux steam-client works with linux_base-c7?

I had it installed over a year ago through steam-runtime with some light patching. I didn't take any notes, but it was relatively easy. However that installation wasn't usable as it was showing me empty game list for some reason. Then came a Steam update breaking authentication (i.e. login doesn't work). And now with the latest Nvidia driver I can't even start the Steam client since it requires OpenGL for rendering UI, so I won't spend any time debugging the auth issue.

And just in case it needs clarification: Linux is an inherently lousy gaming platform with constantly changing APIs. 10+ years old Windows games are still mostly runnable on Windows without a pile of workarounds. I don't have any faith in a closed source Linux application lasting that much after support is dropped. (Which tends to happen immediately after the release for a typical game.) Thus I'm not too enthusiastic about getting the Linux Steam client working on FreeBSD.

Last edited:
Why? You wouldn't get anything from that.

Reduce dependencies (both userland, drivers and kernel), portability to other platforms (like ARM) and yes there should be a slight performance increase. It will also simplify and reduce stress on the port maintainers.

When NVIDIA drops FreeBSD Linux compat support, we will be ready.

And all the same reasons why Wine isn't an ideal solution compared to native support.

Reduce dependencies (both userland, drivers and kernel), portability to other platforms (like ARM) and yes there should be a slight performance increase. It will also simplify and reduce stress on the port maintainers.

When NVIDIA drops FreeBSD Linux compat support, we will be ready.

And all the same reasons why Wine isn't an ideal solution compared to native support.

Yes, of course, that would all be nice, but let's be realistic: How many freaks like us are there in the world who use FreeBSD as a desktop system or even for gaming? Not even 1%, I guess. So who in this world would bother to port a Windows game to FreeBSD when this is not even done for Linux in most cases?
I think considering all the disadvantages of Linux that you described and the rumor of Windows wanting to cause more and more incompatibilities with Steam in the future in order to harm Steam (apparently a famous game developer said this) should open the opportunity to somehow get the people from Steam to create a native Steam client for FreeBSD. But how? Could we start a petition here or somehow forward this idea/request to whoever might be able to achieve something like that?

I guess it is not so much about playing the latest and greatest games. For example, even Mac OS X or Windows 7 cannot manage this.

For me it is more about building up a back catalog. About 10 years into the future once the current latest games have long since been forgotten and abandoned, if an OS like FreeBSD can just keep plodding away supporting as many old games (and software in general) as it can without breaking anything (like the Wayland kiddies are failing to do on Linux) then it will become an extremely powerful platform.

When a person decides that they want to play something like Quake but I cannot on Windows 11 because it is too locked down and broken, they will naturally look towards Linux. Again, this will likely be broken so having something stable and "boring" like FreeBSD as a fallback will eventually become known for "It Just Works!".

This is mostly just my ramblings and conjecture but digital preservation is going to become a big thing in the future and an OS like FreeBSD can "cash in" on this if we start planning for it now.

Also:

... somehow get the people from Steam to create a native Steam client for FreeBSD. But how? Could we start a petition here or somehow forward this idea/request to whoever might be able to achieve something like that?

No company will do it for us. Why the heck would an AppStore / Marketing company like Valve port an open-source game to an open-source OS anyway? They are not even the developers of the game. ;)
That is what I meant by it might make a fun side project. I have looked through its source code and since the Linux port is already there, it wouldn't be infeasible for myself or another developer to port to FreeBSD. It will take quite some time on my own however!

But that is the joys of open-source. We don't need our overlords to spoon-feed us products. We can roll up our sleeves and do stuff for ourselves!

Quake 4 isn't an open-source game. Doom 3 version of the engine would not necessarily run it without some additional work.

No you are right, I was thinking first about the port of Doom 3 to FreeBSD (which would still be quite a big win in its own right). I do have access to an older snapshot of the Quake Wars (id Tech 4) source code but would not be able to release it or binaries (I might get my grand-kids to leak it along with a bunch of LEGO games once I pop my clogs ;) ). I also think that there might be a few more differences between QW and Q4 than there is between D3 and Q4.

Meanwhile publishers are busy removing older titles from sale and DRM-ing newer titles.

And that's fine. I don't exactly expect publishers to have foresight. Digital preservation is not yet "cool" but it will be in the not too distant future. We are only interested in the open-source stuff anyway. This is the stuff that is going to last. And if FreeBSD supports it above all other platforms, we will be in a good position :)

cabriofahrer, kpedersen

I think that the FreeBSD-'version' of this would be more like what TrueOS focuses on.
Reading directly from Wikipedia it is said being able to run Linux Software too and I guess that compatibility is a builtin. :)

But sure, one can always have goals and dreams. :D

Back