KDE Plasma 5

F
Only a few KDE apps: Kate, Dolphin, Okular, Konsole, Gwenview, K3b. I do not care about other KDE apps.

Do these work on FreeBSD KDE5?
Can I install that with pkg already?
Or do I need to install using ports?

I cannot comment on K3b, but I regularly use the other programs, and they are quite solid for me on 11.1-STABLE. That said, I do use KDE 5 as my DE and build all of it myself using poudriere (from the kde5-import branch at https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports-kde). As for dependencies, as an example here's the output of pkg info -d konsole on my system:
Code:
$ pkg info -d konsole
konsole-17.08.3:
        kf5-kwindowsystem-5.41.0
        kf5-kinit-5.41.0
        kf5-kdelibs4support-5.41.0
        qt5-widgets-5.7.1
        qt5-gui-5.7.1_1
        kf5-kxmlgui-5.41.0
        kf5-kwidgetsaddons-5.41.0
        kf5-ktextwidgets-5.41.0
        kf5-kiconthemes-5.41.0
        kf5-kemoticons-5.41.0
        qt5-scripttools-5.7.1
        qt5-script-5.7.1_2
        qt5-dbus-5.7.1
        qt5-core-5.7.1_4
        kf5-kservice-5.41.0
        kf5-kpty-5.41.0
        kf5-kparts-5.41.0
        kf5-knotifyconfig-5.41.0
        kf5-knotifications-5.41.0
        kf5-kitemmodels-5.41.0
        kf5-kio-5.41.0
        kf5-ki18n-5.41.0
        kf5-extra-cmake-modules-5.41.0
        gettext-runtime-0.19.8.1_1
        keditbookmarks-17.08.3
        qt5-sql-5.7.1
I didn't update for a month or so, so latest versions may be different.
There is a repository mentioned at FreeBSD/Setup/Area51, but that may require mixing package sources (didn't try it, so I don't know whether it actually works). I don't think you will find KDE 5 on freshports until it gets added to the official ports tree.

I like to use Kate and Okular again but install almost all KDE just for this two apps?
BTW: I am using
graphics/geeqie
As my problem can be avoided by no longer using Konsole (it's the main culprit in sucking up the KDE memory), I decided to use another terminal emulator.

First I tried gnome3 gnome-terminal, but it has a nasty bug aside of that three-year-old issue.
It ignores the cursor blinking setting in gsettings. And the blinking cursor drives me crazy.

So I tried out a lot of terminal emulators freshports offered me. urxvt, eterm, lx-terminal, etc etc.
These all suck, as they do not offer all needed things like scrollback buffer setting, cursor blink disabling or copy/paste (needed as some apps do not accept middle button).
I finally found mate-terminal, and this requires a full mate install to work.
But it has all the settings I need (seems to be an older, uncastrated gnome-terminal).
So I ended up installing full gnome and mate just to get an usable terminal emulator :D

Tried geegie, too, it's nice but only supports a few graphics formats.
I cannot comment on K3b, but I regularly use the other programs, and they are quite solid for me on 11.1-STABLE. That said, I do use KDE 5 as my DE and build all of it myself using poudriere (from the kde5-import branch
This sounds great! The day 11.2 gets out I will set it up on another pc, and install KDE5 the way you described, and then just swap disk drives into my main computer.
Will not do it on my current working computer in fear of mixing up things or running into problems, which could make the KDE programs unusable.
The idea of Area51 usage now is more like building everything from source. There is a guide in this thread of how configure port-mgmt/poudriere for that. I guess the Area51 packages are not being updated often.
Thanks, I looked into that guide. Really a lot of work for a lazy retard like me!
Will postpone this until 11.2 is out... would be frustrating to have to do that twice in rapid succession :)

As my problem can be avoided by no longer using Konsole (it's the main culprit in sucking up the KDE memory), I decided to use another terminal emulator.

First I tried gnome3 gnome-terminal, but it has a nasty bug aside of that three-year-old issue.
It ignores the cursor blinking setting in gsettings. And the blinking cursor drives me crazy.
Did you try:

gsettings set org.gnome.Terminal.Legacy.Profile:/org/gnome/terminal/legacy/profiles:/:b1dcc9dd-5262-4d8d-a863-c897e6d979b9/ cursor-blink-mode off

It works for me on GNOME 3.

So I tried out a lot of terminal emulators freshports offered me. urxvt, eterm, lx-terminal, etc etc.
These all suck, as they do not offer all needed things like scrollback buffer setting, cursor blink disabling or copy/paste (needed as some apps do not accept middle button).

You can do all kind of things with urxvt through .Xdefaults.

Code:
! font settings
Xft.dpi:                 96
Xft.rgba:                rgb
Xft.lcdfilter:           lcddefault
Xft.hinting:             1
Xft.hintstyle:           hintslight

! window color and transparency
URxvt*depth:             32
URxvt*background:        [91]#010101
URxvt*foreground:        #f1f1f1

! window size and font
URxvt*geometry:          102x24
URxvt*font:              xft:Anonymous Pro:size=15

! adjust space between characters
!URxvt*letterSpace:       -1

! add more space between lines
URxvt*lineSpace:         1.5

! Scroll behavior
URxvt*scrollTtyOutput:   false
URxvt*scrollTtyKeypress: true
URxvt*scrollWithBuffer:  true
URxvt*saveLines:         9999
!! scrollback buffer in secondary screen
URxvt.secondaryScreen:   1
URxvt.secondaryScroll:   0

! Scrollbar appearance
URxvt*scrollBar_right:   true
URxvt.scrollstyle:       plain
URxvt.thickness:         12

*.foreground: white
*.background: black

! 0, 8:  black
! 1, 9:  red
! 2, 10: green
! 3, 11: yellow
! 4, 12: blue
! 5, 13: magenta
! 6, 14: cyan
! 7, 15: white
URxvt*color0:  #0a0a0a
URxvt*color1:  #ff2440
URxvt*color2:  #6ef130
URxvt*color3:  #f5ea16
URxvt*color4:  #1eaeff
URxvt*color5:  #ff52d8
URxvt*color6:  #38f1eb
URxvt*color7:  #fafafa
URxvt*color8:  #0a0a0a
URxvt*color9:  #ff5067
URxvt*color10: #6eff29
URxvt*color11: #fff63a
URxvt*color12: #52c1ff
URxvt*color13: #ff83e3
URxvt*color14: #4afff9
URxvt*color15: #ffffff

There's been a progressive renaming of kde packages by adding a -kde4 suffix. Is this a sign that we're getting close to having plasma5 in ports?

There's been a progressive renaming of kde packages by adding a -kde4 suffix. Is this a sign that we're getting close to having plasma5 in ports?
RELEASE announcement27 June 2018-11.2-RELEASE press release.
Maybe after 11.2-RELEASE...who knows.

According to this update from the porting team, we can expect Plasma 5 in ports in the not so far future.

The exact quote is :
So we’ve been saying Real Soon Now ™ for years, but things are Realer Sooner Nower ™ now.

Even with kern.maxfiles set to 200000 I get these messages when running Plasma5

Code:
maxfiles limit exceeded by uid 1001, (baloo_file_extracto) please see tuning(7).
kern.maxfiles limit exceeded by uid 1001, (bash) please see tuning(7).

I'm running kde5 but am not sure how to change the login background. I tried using screen locking, appearance. The image doesn't change. Also the akonadi service doesn't start so kmail doesn't function. I switched to Evolution for email. Does anyone know how to fix these two problems?

The last time I used KDE you could disable the baloo service somewhere in the system settings.

EDIT: the problem of baloo is it permanently watching and indexing every single file in $HOME to give quick replies when you search them (this is basically its function), and then you fall in that problem of thread I pointed before, specially if you have a high number of files in $HOME.

thanks it was url:
Code:
"pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/quarterly"
,now seems that is working.

what is the difference latest Vs quarterly?

What's the best way to migrate from ked4 with the minimum of damage?

I assume it's a case of:

pkg update
pkg delete -g \*kde4\*
pkg install kde5

But will this make irreversible changes to my config files. I'd prefer not to loose the option of going back to kde4 if it all goes pear shaped.

I have distant memories of some config files for KMail and KOrganizer being silently modified when I migrated from kde3 to kde4, this led to problems when I tried to revert to kde3.

I'm running zfs so I'd like to have 2 different boot environments, one with kde4 and the other with kde5. My home directory is outside the boot environments. Would kde5 make changes to my config files that would preclude me switching back to the kde4 environment.

At this time, you probably need to be on the latest branch for pkg, i. e. your /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf should contain something like
Code:
FreeBSD: {
  url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",

It's not recommended to edit the OS default files, instead you could add your files in /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf . You can find more in the pkg.conf() man page.

Back