Solved Adding entries for others OSes to bootloader

Hello,

I have a computer on which the main OS is FreeBSD, while other OSes are installed on dedicated disks.

1. Is it possible to chainload the boot managers from the FreeBSD bootloader or do I have to rely on grub2 ?
  2. If 1 is possible, then is it possible to map disks to make windows believe it is on the first disk ? If it is of any help, the grub equivalent is map, while grub2 one is "drivemap -s".

Is it possible to chainload the boot managers from the FreeBSD bootloader or do I have to rely on grub2 ?
As far as I know this only works with boot0cfg(8). But that boot-manager is rather old and only works for UFS and MBR.

If your platform supports UEFI booting, I'd suggest using rEFInd. This way the different OSes don't even have to know about each other or need to know how to deal with some "very special" boot loaders (e.g. Windows in its various incarnations...).

There are also a few (very few) usable native EFI loaders out there too; so you might check out if there is such a thing present in your mainboards UEFI.

Hello,

Thank you very much both for your replies :) .
Sko, you are right about rEFInd for UEFI.

For anyone else not using UEFI, the answer is in /boot/loader.help and the option is named "chain_disk".
For example, inserting chain_disk="disk1:" in /boot/loader.conf would add an entry in the boot menu to load the OS residing on the second disk by pressing F8.
Unfortunately, there can be only one such entry.

For example, inserting chain_disk="disk1:" in /boot/loader.conf would add an entry in the boot menu to load the OS residing on the second disk by pressing F8.
Didn't work here, the entry appears on boot menu, but when I choose it, nothing happens.

As far as I know this only works with boot0cfg(8). But that boot-manager is rather old and only works for UFS and MBR.

It's old, but no bits have fallen off yet <&^}=

It only works with BIOS / MBR disks obviously, but it works fine here dual-booting Win10 (NTFS) and FreeBSD (UFS).

Back