FreeBSD 10.3 + Intel video card = freeze

Hi,

I'm currently experimenting with FreeBSD on a Dell Optiplex 330, and I can't configure the video card. Here's the card seen by the Linux system on the machine.

Code:
$ /sbin/lspci | grep -i vga
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0a)

Slackware Linux supports this card perfectly with the i915 driver in KMS mode.

With FreeBSD 10.3, once I have installed X.org and run startx, the system freezes, the monitor tells me that there is no signal, and I have to do a hard reset.

Is there any quirk to configure this card with FreeBSD? I'd be surprised if this card is not supported, since it's extremely common.

Cheers,

Niki

What does sysctl kern.vty show?

Code:
# sysctl kern.vty
kern.vty: vt

It looks like this extremely common card just doesn't work with FreeBSD. Which is a showstopper.

I just gave the GhostBSD LiveCD/installer a spin on this machine, with the same result. Hard freeze on bootup.

BTW, here's the exact model.

Code:
vgapci0@pci0:0:2:0:   class=0x030000 card=0x02201028 chip=0x29c28086 rev=0x0a hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = '82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA

The Intel driver supports 82G33 but, for some reason, does not seem to support cards with the G31 suffix from what I've read.

X seems to work fine with the latest TrueOS on the same hardware. According to /var/log/Xorg.0.log, the intel driver is in use. Now as far as I understand (I'm relatively new to FreeBSD), TrueOS is based on FreeBSD's CURRENT branch. So it's either this, with a better hardware support on CURRENT. Or the TrueOS installer has found the magical combination to make this card work.

Did you ever find a suitable resolution to this issue?

I know this thread is a bit old, but i'm running into the same issue on a Dell OptiPlex 360 system that utilizes the intel G31 chipset. If i install the xf86-video-intel driver it just causes the system to lock up when the x session starts. Without it installed the x session starts fine but has limited resolution options.

Back