Solved Trying to install FreeBSD 11 on Laptop Samsung NP300V4A

Dear FreeBSD Support Team:

Last year I upgraded the hardware in this Samsung NP300V4A by adding a 500 GB SSD and 12 GB RAM.
So I decided to install FreeBSD 10.3, in that try I had problems installing it from the USB due to display errors at the moment of enter option 1 in the splash screen of the installer. That day I didn't have time, or mind, to debug so I did installed PC-BSD.

Now I am willing to be 100% FreeBSD so I did try to upgrade PC-BSD using the upgrading options of the FreeBSD RELEASE announcement to FreeBSD 11 but failed, so I decided to prepare a Flash Drive with FreeBSD 11 dot IMG. It didn't work in the similar way of last time but I already know that my hardware is capable to run it as I was using PC-BSD,

In short my problem is:
- Insert and boot from FreeBSD 11 Install FlashDrive
- Can see the splash screen with options
- At the moment of starting op 1 Multiuser or op 2 Single User, the display turns in bad mode showing just squares where it should show letters.
- I did try to boot by pre loading vesa module, but it didn't work too.

And my question is:
Since I can modify the boot options by loading modules, is there a way that I could copy some of my already installed PC BSD configuration and to loaded in the boot options of the installer so I can see the letters? (I did look at the rc.conf but it has only info for the Wifi and Dbus)
Or is there a way to select something similar to: please boot with 1078x768 screen resolution or anything like that?

Needless to say I did google it, checked the FreeBSD HandBook and looked at the forum but I didn't, or was not able, to find something.

Thank you so much in advance.

Dear FreeBSD Support Team:

Last year I upgraded the hardware in this Samsung NP300V4A by adding a 500 GB SSD and 12 GB RAM.
So I decided to install FreeBSD 10.3, in that try I had problems installing it from the USB due to display errors at the moment of enter option 1 in the splash screen of the installer. That day I didn't have time, or mind, to debug so I did installed PC-BSD.

Now I am willing to be 100% FreeBSD so I did try to upgrade PC-BSD using the upgrading options of the FreeBSD RELEASE announcement to FreeBSD 11 but failed, so I decided to prepare a Flash Drive with FreeBSD 11 dot IMG. It didn't work in the similar way of last time but I already know that my hardware is capable to run it as I was using PC-BSD,

In short my problem is:
- Insert and boot from FreeBSD 11 Install FlashDrive
- Can see the splash screen with options
- At the moment of starting op 1 Multiuser or op 2 Single User, the display turns in bad mode showing just squares where it should show letters.
- I did try to boot by pre loading vesa module, but it didn't work too.

And my question is:
Since I can modify the boot options by loading modules, is there a way that I could copy some of my already installed PC BSD configuration and to loaded in the boot options of the installer so I can see the letters? (I did look at the rc.conf but it has only info for the Wifi and Dbus)
Or is there a way to select something similar to: please boot with 1078x768 screen resolution or anything like that?

Needless to say I did google it, checked the FreeBSD HandBook and looked at the forum but I didn't, or was not able, to find something.

Thank you so much in advance.

You can create or edit (if it already exists) a file for that. Look at /boot/loader.conf. In this config file you can set some things like the autoboot_delay. I think you can set also there the screen resolution.

You can create or edit (if it already exists) a file for that. Look at /boot/loader.conf. In this config file you can set some things like the autoboot_delay. I think you can set also there the screen resolution.

Thank you for your answer,
unfortunately i couldn´t make it work either by that way.

What happened was:
1 Insert Flash Drive USB and Boot it.
2 Pressed ESCAPE and go to Prompt
3 Tried
Code:
OK  vi /boot/loader.conf
and
Code:
OK  cd /boot/
(the OK is always at the begining of the prompt) and got this: cd not found, vi not found

i really appreciate the support of the forum, so i got more confident of trying, i did found by the cmd
Code:
?
that there is the option
gop that [list | get | set] the display options [0 1024x768, 1 800x600 and 2 600x400], so i did use
Code:
gop set 1
and it worked!

I am ready to go. I have another questions but i will add them in the peripherals hardware forum.

Once again, thank you.

Back