KDE Plasma 5

In my short experience with testing it, it does work for the most part but there are a fair amount of bugs yet. It's not yet ready for general use IMO.

Would it be a better idea to install Plasma 5 from a fresh install, instead of installing KDE 4 and then uninstalling it and installing Plasma 5? Or are there dependencies in KDE 4 that are required for Plasma 5?

If your using ZFS boot enviroments you can also just create a new boot environment with beadm(1), nuke all the packages, start with a fresh base install, and then nuke the environment and boot into the working original install afterwords if you want. It's how I do the majority of my testing for things like this.

Just to be clear, Plasma 5 is in the testing phase and as such isn't even always guaranteed to build.

Just a quick question. With the KDE port, does that mean entire KDE stack (plasma, frameworks, apps) works or just the plasma DE?
When I tested it last, which was a few months ago, I only noticed Plasma 5 and Frameworks 5(which Plasma 5 requires). I'm not sure off hand about applications or current status of the port in general. The goal is of course to at some point include everything. I may test it again and provide some feedback this weekend if I have the time.

Just to be clear, Plasma 5 is in the testing phase and as such isn't even always guaranteed to build.
I've tried to build the Plasma 5 packages about 4 or 5 times. All on clean installs, twice by installing KDE 4 first, once by installing the base system, Xorg and then Plasma 5 from xterm, and twice by base system, Xorg and Plasma 5 from the shell.

It always gets into compiling the Plasma packages and then errors out. I should also mention that I am doing this in a dual boot scenario with Windows 7 and I can get FreeBSD/KDE 4 up and running perfectly dual booting with Windows 7.

I am only testing this, my daily OS/PC is a Slackware rig and I'm just playing around with this on a test computer to basically learn my way around FreeBSD. If someone can tell me how to log this build or where the log is, I would be happy to post it and see where things are going wrong.

You can use script(1) for that purpose.

Basically, it works like this:
Code:
# script /tmp/output.txt
# exit
Ok, I got why it's not finishing.

Code:
===>   libvpx-1.4.0 has known vulnerabilities:
libvpx is vulnerable:
libvpx -- multiple buffer overflows
CVE: CVE-2015-4486
CVE: CVE-2015-4485
WWW: https:/vuxml.FreeBSD.org/freebsd/34e60332-2448-4ed6-93f0-12713749f250.html

1 Problem(s) in the installed packages found.
=> Please update your ports tree and try again.
=> Note: Vulnerable ports are marked as such even if there is no update available.
=> If you wish to ignore this vulnerability rebuild with 'make DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes'
***Error code 1

Stop.

I'm going to go ahead and continue with vulnerabilities disabled since this is only a test rig.

Ok, I got why it's not finishing.

Code:
===>   libvpx-1.4.0 has known vulnerabilities:
libvpx is vulnerable:
libvpx -- multiple buffer overflows
CVE: CVE-2015-4486
CVE: CVE-2015-4485
WWW: https:/vuxml.FreeBSD.org/freebsd/34e60332-2448-4ed6-93f0-12713749f250.html

1 Problem(s) in the installed packages found.
=> Please update your ports tree and try again.
=> Note: Vulnerable ports are marked as such even if there is no update available.
=> If you wish to ignore this vulnerability rebuild with 'make DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes'
***Error code 1

Stop.

I'm going to go ahead and continue with vulnerabilities disabled since this is only a test rig.
You must be using an old snapshot of ports tree. Those vulnerabilities are already fixed:
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=394231

8lNI8aF.jpg
Ok. I was install and run Plasma5 but is something wrong. There is no any start button and I can't do anything. Is sure good idea install plasma on base system instead upgrade from KDE4? Meaby use som file from this?

Note:
There is no need to add these to OPTIONS_DEFAULT. To have them active, and show up in the options selection dialog, however, they must be added to OPTIONS_DEFINE

How will be example for DOCS and NLS at the OPTION_DEFINE section in Makefile I want to be sure if I do everything correct.

Edit. I was just add and enable it at make configure :)

QvBrPu1.jpg
Plasma was installed correctly but is only workspace, nothing else. I don’t have any programs, and I can't install Firefox :(

Plasma 5 is still in the process of being ported. Even if the port and it's dependencies do build and install correctly, that does not guarantee Plasma 5 will work correctly or even work at all at any given point of time. Users are however encouraged to try installing and using it as well as offer their feedback and especially patches to bugs/issues to help keep the work going forward with the expectation that it is not stable yet. Issues can be reported and discussed on the freebsd-kde mailing list, as mentioned here. This is probably not the best place to discuss issues with a port in progress.

I haven't yet had the time to install and test Plasma 5 again, but hope to get the chance some time during the following week.

Hello,

I've got a lot of experience with kf5 and plasma5 stuff on Arch based stuff (Antergos, Manjaro) and on Debian based stuff (siduction, Netrunner16) and I currently use Antergos with new kf5 stuff.

I'll try to install kf5 and plasma5 on FreeBSD and I hope, I'll be able to give useful feedback.

Kind regards,
Holger

Back