Xorg using way too much CPU, can't identify the issue

Hi there, I recently installed FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE on my Thinkpad T470s. Upon install, Xorg with DWM was super snappy, way faster than my previous Arch Linux + Qtile setup. However, I'm not sure what I did wrong, but now top shows Xorg CPU usage is at 10% and my system is pretty slow. I have looked at past threads, but I cannot figure it out. Xf86 video driver is installed, and I built dkms drivers from ports. Thank you very much in advance!

I don't have a custom Xorg configuration, but I did add this on /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/98-tearfree.conf
Code:
Section "Device"
  Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
  Driver      "intel"
  Option "TearFree" "True"
EndSection

This is the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log

This is my rc.conf
Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA SYNCDHCP"
wlans_iwm0="wlan0"
kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"
powerdxx_enable="YES"

Code:
[    31.392] (II) intel(0): DRI3: Disabled

What if you add Option "DRI" "3" to your xorg config?

But in general its recommended to use the modesetting xorg driver instead of the xf86-video-intel one.

The xf86-video-intel one is legacy but modesetting may dont have all features what other ones already have yet.

Upon install, Xorg with DWM was super snappy
Hello. Did you configured dwm status bar? If so it is not recommended to set the update interval equal to zero or remove the "sleep" line entirely since this will cause CPU usage to rise substantially ( i mean with xsetroot -name command).

Hello. Did you configured dwm status bar? If so it is not recommended to set the update interval equal to zero or remove the "sleep" line entirely since this will cause CPU usage to rise substantially ( i mean with xsetroot -name command).
Beware of GNU extensions. The relevant thread is here

Does the problem exists when another window manager is used (especially lightweight like windowmaker)?
Also my personal experience with powerdxx is not the best and after enabling it I felt it's somehow slowing down my system, but maybe I'm prejudiced.

Back