Xorg (EE) no screens found(EE)

Hey, I am new to FreeBSD, I have installed graphics/drm-kmod, added the /boot/modules/i915kms.ko to /etc/rc.conf, yet startx always fails with either no screens found or cannot start in framebuffer mode if I remove the device entry from xorg.conf. This laptop has an intel Iris Integrated graphics on a Alder Lake chip. I thought all intel support came with the i915kms driver. Is there something i overlooked. Thanks

/var/log/Xorg.0.log output

/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf (generated, i used a xorg.conf.d initially, but it returned same errors, so i tried full xorg.conf, no difference)

dmesg (if helpful)

intel Iris Integrated graphics on a Alder Lake chip
I looks like (limited) support for Alder Lake iGPUs are only available on 14-CURRENT at the moment.

With graphics/drm-515-kmod (it's beta):

dumbbell commented on Feb 11

I pushed a bug fix to the freebsd-src branch which fixes the i915 driver.

I also pushed updated firmwares to drm-kmod-firmware. This includes the firmwares for Intel Alder Lake. The driver starts to
attach to my 12th gen Intel GPU, but crashes in the way with a green screen with nothing on it. Anyway, Alder Lake support is still
beta in Linux 5.15.

Apparently it is supported with 5.16, depending on the generation of Alder Lake to run stable:

dumbbell commented Feb 15, 2023

I tried this on 12gen laptop, I know support is not stable or much is expected. I get a black screen and then the fans kick in once the driver is loaded.
It depends on the generation, an Alder Lake S is supposed to be stable with Linux 5.16. I suppose you have an Alder Lake P instead.

The fans makes me think of an infinite loop in the driver, perhaps a bug in my backport, not something from the upstream code.

Back