Xfce xfce not found in freebsd 12 dvd iso

Hello everyone,

I installed freebsd 12 from dvd iso and wanted to install xorg-server xorg xfce from directly from DVD iso as instructed in the thread (https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/install-desktop-from-dvd-without-internet.59387/).
When I did it as suggested, only xorg components can be installed but not xfce. In fact I tried gnome, kde as well but it says its not found in the iso.
Is version 12 released without any desktop managers?

Thanks

Attachments

• freebsd.PNG
    freebsd.PNG
    11.2 KB · Views: 224
Interesting: the release page for 12.0-RELEASE states: "This contains everything necessary to install the base FreeBSD operating system, the documentation, debugging distribution sets, and a small set of pre-built packages aimed at getting a graphical workstation up and running. "

Not sure what is meant by "small set of pre-built packages aimed at getting a graphical workstation up and running". My guess is not xfce4, probably twm if I had to guess, which is quite minimal.

The OS does normally not include ANY software outside of base, but the notes on the DVD do allude to including something at least.

Does the installation of xorg by itself work? pkg install xorg

Looks like xfce4 and gnome are not part of the pre-built packages on the DVD, but there is kde5 and twm. Look under the /packages/FreeBSD:12:amd64/All directory.

If kde was on the installation media, it would be out-of-date already, since there have been at least a couple of upgrades to kde since the FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE installation media was initially prepared.

How many big desktop environment installers would even fit on a DVD before it ran out of space? I'm thinking not very many, if any.

It seems problematic enough anyway, just to get the base system up and running, without adding additional complications. Better to get the base system fully operational first IMO.

One could still put the graphical environment package or packages of choice on a separate DVD, for use after the first reboot after the base system install was successfully completed.

Interesting: the release page for 12.0-RELEASE states: "This contains everything necessary to install the base FreeBSD operating system, the documentation, debugging distribution sets, and a small set of pre-built packages aimed at getting a graphical workstation up and running. "

Not sure what is meant by "small set of pre-built packages aimed at getting a graphical workstation up and running". My guess is not xfce4, probably twm if I had to guess, which is quite minimal.

The OS does normally not include ANY software outside of base, but the notes on the DVD do allude to including something at least.

Does the installation of xorg by itself work? pkg install xorg

As I mentioned xorg can be installed . But not xfce or gnome.

When tried for KDE5 its there but thats too big my purpose. I will try TWM. I only want the minimal desktop.

If kde was on the installation media, it would be out-of-date already, since there have been at least a couple of upgrades to kde since the FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE installation media was initially prepared.

How many big desktop environment installers would even fit on a DVD before it ran out of space? I'm thinking not very many, if any.

It seems problematic enough anyway, just to get the base system up and running, without adding additional complications. Better to get the base system fully operational first IMO.

One could still put the graphical environment package or packages of choice on a separate DVD, for use after the first reboot after the base system install was successfully completed.
I agree but xfce and gnome was there in version 10!

FYI - twm is not a desktop but a widow manager only. It works fine but does not provide any of the functionality you would find in xfce4, kde or gnome.

Yes, figured it out. TWM is not the choice for me.

The version 12 does not include other than KDE5 desktop. Only way to install it via freebsd main repos where I need internet connection. It would have been nice to have a small desktop included with distribution disk like in earlier versions!

Guess my options are still to have older freebsd versions to get them up and running.

There's simply no more room. So something will have to be removed to free up the space. If KDE or Gnome is removed other people will start complaining about that. The DVD is not big enough to please everybody. KDE and Gnome are the two most popular ones so it makes sense to include them.

There's simply no more room. So something will have to be removed to free up the space. If KDE or Gnome is removed other people will start complaining about that. The DVD is not big enough to please everybody. KDE and Gnome are the two most popular ones so it makes sense to include them.
Only KDE5 incuded in the media. GNOME is removed as well. I understand your argument about the size. I think its because of the of KDE5. When KDE5 extracted it about 4GB alone!
I suggest to include older version of KDE where upgrade is possible via main repos and inlude GNOME or preferably xfce or lxde. This would enable technicians like us to setup a minimal desktop in any location where internet bandwidth is low.!

Back