Install Desktop from DVD without Internet

Hi, I'm totaly newbie in FreeBSD, and I'm not sure if I'm respecting the rules of this forum (I'm sorry if I'm doing so).
My host is linux Mint 17.3 and I installed FreeBSD11.0 on a virtual machine, the installation process went so smooth, but in the end I got only a console (no GUI).
I've googled this issue on the net and I understood that I have to install the desktop manually. My problem is that I don't have access to internet so i have to install this package directly from FreeBSD DVD (iso image).
Would someone please guide through this process (if there is such possibility)
Thanks in advance

NB : i tried with command sysinstall but I understood that this command is no longer available in this version of freeBSD (11.0)

the installation process went so smooth, but in the end I got only a console (no GUI).
That's normal. There is no standard GUI.

I've googled this issue on the net and I understood that I have to install the desktop manually. My problem is that I don't have access to internet so i have to install this package directly from FreeBSD DVD (iso image).
It'll be better if you figured out why it doesn't have network. Which virtualization software did you use? VirtualBox, Xen, KVM? What kind of (virtual) hardware did you assign to the FreeBSD VM?

Dear Sir, thanks for your reply.
Well, regarding the internet, it's just I don't have access to it (When i go to coffe shop I could get connected but now I'm far awayfrom it). So, is there any chance I could install gnome (or whatever else) from the install dvd ?
Regards

Simplest is to login, mount the DVD and find the packages on the DVD (I don't know from the top of my head where exactly). Then you can just use pkg add <packagename> to install them. As long as you're in the right directory dependencies will be found automatically.

thanks again, But I've been told that pkg_add is no longer available from version 10 (and my version is 11.0)

...problem is that I don't have access to internet so i have to install this package directly from FreeBSD DVD (iso image).

Please look here: http://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...and-configure-freebsd-without-internet-access

- - - - - - -
  1. Create a /dist directory and mount the DVD.

# mkdir /dist
    # mount -r -t cd9660 /dev/cd0 /dist

2. Make sure REPOS_DIR is correctly pointing to your local repository.

# setenv REPOS_DIR /dist/packages/repos

3. Bootstrap pkg and install packages.

# pkg bootstrap
    # pkg install xorg [...]
- - - - - - -

Please look here: http://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...and-configure-freebsd-without-internet-access

- - - - - - -
  1. Create a /dist directory and mount the DVD.

# mkdir /dist

2. Make sure REPOS_DIR is correctly pointing to your local repository.

3. Bootstrap pkg and install packages.

# pkg bootstrap
    # pkg install xorg [...]
- - - - - - -
Dear @Ihar,

Thanks for your reply, I think there is some progress, it's just that when I hit startx, I got only 3 xterm and a black background maybe because I typed pkg install xorg instead of pkg install xorg_server xorg gnome2

FYI, I edited the config file with adding these two lines
Code:
gdm_enable="YES"
gnome_enable="YES"

Is there anything I can do to make GNOME working?

Thanks again.

i got only 3 xterm
This is good, but at this point you only have the basic windowing system, Xorg. Now you need to go the next step. There are many choices, from the huge KDE4 to the minimal Fluxbox. See the Handbook here: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x11-wm.html

To clarify: first you install the OS, then you install X, then you install a desktop environment. Three steps.

Edit: Oh right, you won't be able to go there until you get to the coffee shop. :) So, if you wanted to install a nice functional environment without being bloated or overly minimal, you could chose Xfce. pkg install xfce.

I edited the config file with adding these two lines
Code:
gdm_enable="YES"
gnome_enable="YES"

Is there anything I can do to make GNOME working?

If you like GNOME, you can install it from DVD:
Code:
# pkg install gnome3

Link provided by OJ is useful.

This is good, but at this point you only have the basic windowing system, Xorg. Now you need to go the next step. There are many choices, from the huge KDE4 to the minimal Fluxbox. See the Handbook here: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x11-wm.html

To clarify: first you install the OS, then you install X, then you install a desktop environment. Three steps.

Edit: Oh right, you won't be able to go there until you get to the coffee shop. :) So, if you wanted to install a nice functional environment without being bloated or overly minimal, you could chose Xfce. pkg install xfce.

I tried to follow what is described in the doc but unfortunately does not work, whne i rebooted and loged in and typed startx, I got only black window, with no xterm, nothing at all, only black window

If you like GNOME, you can install it from DVD:
Code:
# pkg install gnome3

Link provided by OJ is useful.
Dear R0bur, I've done this and it went fine without error message, but when I reboot and type startx, I got only Xterm (3 windows, which disapered lately :( )

Thank you for your answer but I don't see how do you expect from a newbie to look further :)
thanks anyway ;)
If you like to autostart Gnome then add to the file /etc/rc.conf these lines:
Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
gdm_enable="YES"
gnome_enable="YES"
First two lines are needed anyway, last two lines autostart Gnome.
Otherwise if you like to start Gnome using startx, modify exec-command in the file ~/.xinitrc:
Code:
exec /usr/local/bin/gnome-session
And is your user added to system groups "video" and "wheel"?
Code:
#pw groupmod video -m username || pw groupmod wheel -m username

Thank you R0bur,
I'm gonna check this method and give you a feedback later,
Regadring the memory RAM of the machine, I gave it 4096 MB (4 GB)
My physical memory RAM has 8 GB

Back