• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XDM not allowing me to log in as any user

goldencircuit

Hello,

I recently installed FreeBSD and am having problems with XDM not allowing me to log in as my set up user or root. XDM boots up fine but when I click into the password field nothing shows up as a I'm typing (first time using XDM this might be a feature?) and when I do type the password in it just reloads to another empty login screen prompting me to type in the user. I followed the instructions in the handbook outlined here https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x-xdm.html . I hope someone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Turn off XDM and see if startx works as a user. Once that's fully working enable XDM again.

goldencircuit

Sorry, I guess I should have checked that before posting. I'm doing this in a virtualmachine and trying to use/intall xfce.

startx does not work and gives an error. It's long and I'm unable to copy/paste it but I will include the lines that look like errors:
Code:
failed to set mtrr: Device not configured
/usr/local/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :0
Mar 9 03:29:10 freeBee ck-launch-session: error connecting to ConsoleKit
process 1367: D-Bus libary appears to be incorrectly set up ; failed to read machine uuid: Failed to open "/etc/machine-id": No such file or directory
xinit: connection to X server lost
Waiting for X server to shut down failed to unset mtrr: Device not configured
(II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.
xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "freeBee:0" in "remove" command
Thanks

jrm@

Daemon
Developer

XDM boots up fine but when I click into the password field nothing shows up as a I'm typing (first time using XDM this might be a feature?)
No password echoing is indeed the default. To change this behaviour, add
Code:
xlogin.Login.echoPasswd: true
to /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources. The default echo character is *. You can change this by setting
Code:
xlogin.Login.echoPasswdChar

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

knightjp

Turn off XDM and see if startx works as a user. Once that's fully working enable XDM again.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am having the same issue. Unless I login as “root”, I am not able to log in as any other user.