Wine not detecting CDROM

First, I'm using FreeBSD 9.1 on a 32-bit machine (i386) and wine-1.4.1_2,1.

I've been able to install two Windows games from CDROM using Wine; however, both games still require access to the CDROM during play, and Wine is unable to detect the CDROM. Using winecfg, I've mapped "D:" to /media/cdrom, which is the active mount point for /dev/cd0, my CDROM drive:

Code:
kkaos@mastersword:/home/kkaos/.wine/drive_c % mount | grep cdrom
/dev/cd0 on /media/cdrom (cd9660, local, read-only)

Has anyone here run into this issue before? What might I be doing wrong?

Some games use some sort of funky copy-protection. That might not work correctly when using Wine. I'd suggest finding a No-CD patch for the game.

There was also a problem with image files needing to be symlinked with a ":" somewhere.

I need to check how exactly that is supposed to work when I get home, and hopefully have some time to check it out.

May I ask what game this is? I play Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne and Starcraft 2 which I know both required the CD to install (if you didn't get the digital download version) and both games have a no-CD patch that I can link you to.

I also don't see what's wrong with how you set everything up, it looks ok to me. Have you tried mapping "D:" to /dev/cd0 directly (that's what I have done)?

TommyC7 said:
I also don't see what's wrong with how you set everything up, it looks ok to me. Have you tried mapping "D:" to /dev/cd0 directly (that's what I have done)?

And that is what I meant. Thanks for jogging my memory :)

In the .wine directory you will find the DOS devices also as directory. You will have a link named f.e. "D" pointing to the directory where you copied all the data from the drive to, and you also need a "D:" pointing to the .iso. IIRC.

Sorry to be so imprecise, my machine at home currently has a severe case of tax return software, which requires Windows.

TommyC7 said:
May I ask what game this is? I play Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne and Starcraft 2 which I know both required the CD to install (if you didn't get the digital download version) and both games have a no-CD patch that I can link you to.

I was able to install both games, Betrayal in Antara and Starcraft, from the original CDROMs using the drive mapping I mentioned earlier. It's when I try to run the game, wine .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Starcraft/Starcraft.exe, that Wine can't find the CDROM.

I think I've tried mapping "D:" to /dev/cd0 directly, but I'll try it again. What are your permissions on /dev/cd0? Which groups have you assigned to your user account? I will add that I currently use sudo to mount /dev/cd0 so maybe this is a permissions issue.

I tried setting D: to point to /dev/cd0, but wine still can't see the CDROM when I try to play a game. I'm sure it's something about FreeBSD that I don't understand. I don't think the issue is with DAC permissions because I can get wine to run the installer for each game off of the CDROM without any elevated privileges.

Sorry that it took me so long to get this drive swapped back, but the Windows installation I need for the tax return software also happenss to have an install of Deus Ex.

Anyway, here is what I had to do to make Wine get along with the ISO images:

Code:
rock@Wanderer:/home/rock % ls -l ~/.wine/dosdevices/
total 0
lrwxr-xr-x  1 rock  rock  10 Dec 21  2008 c: -> ../drive_c
lrwxr-xr-x  1 rock  rock  32 Feb 28  2011 d: -> /home/rock/Isos/BaldursGate-DVD/
lrwxr-xr-x  1 rock  rock  31 Feb 28  2011 d:: -> /home/rock/Isos/BaldursGate.iso
lrwxr-xr-x  1 rock  rock  50 Jun  7  2011 e: -> /home/rock/Isos/BaldursGate-LegendsOfTheSwordcoast
lrwxr-xr-x  1 rock  rock  54 Jun  7  2011 e:: -> /home/rock/Isos/BaldursGate-LegendsOfTheSwordcoast.iso

This puts the two DVDs into your D: and E: drive and BG sees them as drives, no need for a nocd patch.

Hope that helps, now I'm off looking how good the 32 bit Wine works on 64 bit FreeBSD. I think I forgot some MJ12 honchos while sneaking around.

Back