Wine failure

Ken, try this video: How to Install Wine & Winetricks in FreeBSD .

When Winetricks ask you to install wine-gecko and mono it recommends doing so manually but I found that that didn't work at all, but just clicking 'install' when it asks you if you want it to get them for you, worked for me. Winetricks brings up a windows config box in which you can pull in libraries and set paths and whatnot for your windows software.

OK. Thanks. I have not yet installed Winetricks. I'll dig into Wine a bit later. Now I have another issue I need to address first.

Ken Gordon

0009:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded. 0009:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly

Check your X drivers and i dont recommend to use wine as root.

But, when I then attempted to run MS-Word, it hung for several seconds, then just quietly quit. I then attempted to run another WIndows program, specifically, my Pegasus e-mail client.
BTW, what do you mean by "attempting to run a Windows PROGRAM"?
Do you actually try to run the INSTALLER, not the installed Windows executable found on one of the MS partitions you have mounted? Just for clarity's sake.

Last edited:
BTW, what do you mean by "attempting to run a Windows PROGRAM"?
Do you actually try to run the INSTALLER,
NO.
not the installed Windows executable found on one of the MS partitions you have mounted? Just for clarity's sake.
I was trying to run the executable. I have, for the moment, left this issue for later. I recently learned that I probably should have installed winetricks but have not yet done so. I'll revisit this issue as soon as I can.

And thanks,

Ken Gordon

NO.

I was trying to run the executable. I have, for the moment, left this issue for later. I recently learned that I probably should have installed winetricks but have not yet done so. I'll revisit this issue as soon as I can.

And thanks,

Ken Gordon
You DON'T run an executable in Wine. You use Wine to INSTALL a windows programs into an emulated environment same as you install it in Windows. And just as in Windows you can't run an executable unless it is properly installed or is a portable application, so you can't in Wine.
So, no need to "revisit" this issue -- just do it the right way if you want it to work.
...Oh, and READ THE MANUAL, for goodness' sake :).

Yes. As we used to say in the tech support field, "RTFM". OK.

I vaguely remember using WINE a long time ago for something at work. As I remember it (dangerous at my age), I simply fired up WINE and ran previously installed Windows programs from it.

Obviously that isn't correct.

Thanks,

Ken Gordon

Yes. As we used to say in the tech support field, "RTFM". OK.

I vaguely remember using WINE a long time ago for something at work. As I remember it (dangerous at my age), I simply fired up WINE and ran previously installed Windows programs from it.

Obviously that isn't correct.

Thanks,

Ken Gordon
Ha, I vaguely remember doing that, too. Long time ago, long before Wine becoming version 1. Well, the way it works and its configuration have changed significantly since then :):). It has now many Windows things it didn't have back then, including regedit and what not.

Back