Wifi stopped working 13.1

I believe I may have misconfigured something, but I am not sure what. I am connecting to a hotel AP with a captured portal at this time. I was attempting to request a new dhcp lease (at this point I still had a connection - able to ping google.com). I did so by attempting to run dhclient on my wlan0. My IP address did not change and I noticed that I had an old lease for wlan0 in /var/db/, and deleted the lease. When I attempted to run dhclient again, my IP address shows up in ifconfig as 0.0.0.0.

I ran service netif restart and got the same result. I attemped to configure manually using ifconfig..... ifconfig wlan0 inet XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX netmask XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX .

ifconfig shows the ip address:

however ping does not work. When I set my IP, mask, and router manually, ping 172.20.0.1 (router) gives: ping: sendto: No buffer space available

I also see when I request an IP address with DHCP, in /var/log/messages
dhclient [3076]: send_packet: No buffer space available

ifconfig shows I am connected to the AP that I want.

In windows on the same PC, the wireless works fine. so I figure I am doing something incorrectly in FreeBSD.

Look at the output from ifconfig. Specifically look at the status: associated line, does it say 'associated' there? If not, then you're not connected. Setting an IP address doesn't connect you to the wireless network. Check your settings in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and make sure your wireless is actually 'associated'.

thanks for the reply. ifconfig does show that wlan0 is associated.

output from ifconfig from this morning:

Code:
wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        ether d4:d2:52:89:7f:65
        inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
        groups: wlan
        ssid {shows here, removed} channel 11 (2462 MHz 11g) bssid 94:bf:c4:16:cd:a8
        regdomain FCC country US authmode WPA privacy MIXED deftxkey UNDEF
        txpower 30 bmiss 10 scanvalid 60 protmode CTS wme roaming MANUAL
        parent interface: iwm0
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet OFDM/36Mbps mode 11g
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

So, this might be a total shot in the dark, but hear me out; I've had wlan issues as well after switching to 13.1 but for me, I had major issues even associating.

What helped me out finally, was doing a devctl reset iwm0 to simply reset the device and start over.

From what I gather, a lot of work went into improving Intel wireless in 13.1 (see https://wiki.freebsd.org/WiFi/Iwlwifi). I assume, this also broke a couple things - at least in terms of how stuff used to work.

Ok. So i booted up this afternoon, with the same results... no connection on the hotel wifi. I ran the command that cmoerz suggested. It returned nothing (so works)... I then attempted to service netif restart with no luck.

I attempted to scan the wireless networks ifconfig wlan0 scan and was not able to see any networks. Noted in my console log that iwm0 was not able to scan. Rebooted, and got the same result (link to hotel wifi, DHCP failed).

I attempted to attach to my phone's hot spot. I commented out the public wifi lines in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and made sure my phone's hot spot info was in the list.

Code:
#
#network={
#        key_mgmt=NONE
#        priority=0
#}

I then was able to do service netif restart and noted that I connected to my phone. During the DHCP request i got messages showing that iwm0 was going up and down.

from /var/log/messages

Code:
Jun  8 17:07:37 ACER kernel: wlan0: link state changed to DOWN
Jun  8 17:07:50 ACER kernel: wlan0: link state changed to UP

I was able to obtain a lease and I am now posting this from inside FreeBSD. I am going to attempt to reconnect to the hot spot. Maybe the hotel AP or my computer was unhappy about something.

Admittedly, I might have jumped to conclusions.

grahamperrin, your remarks made me revisit my setup and look for further hints on what's going on on my end. After further examination, I managed to remove the reset from my network scripts today without any further breakage, thus returning everything back to the state that used to work under 13.0.

Must have been some fluke in regards to the wireless traffic in the past. I could no longer properly reproduce the issue I had. Weird.

The only remnant of error messages I can see are in wpa_supplicant's log; I can't remember seeing those messages in 13.0 but then again, I probably never really checked while it was working fine. Additionally, those messages don't seem to be errors as such, since my notebook still manages to associate with the access point after a few seconds.

Code:
ioctl[SIOCS80211, op=20, val=0, arg_len=7]: Invalid argument
ioctl[SIOCS80211, op=20, val=0, arg_len=7]: Invalid argument
ioctl[SIOCS80211, op=103, val=0, arg_len=128]: Operation now in progress
wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-FAILED ret=-1 retry=1

Apologies for kind of hijacking this thread with this follow up of my own issue. I figured, my apparently wrong assumption warranted a followup.

Welcome to FreeBSD Forums.

In which country/region?
U.S.

Thank you all for your time.

I am now back on my home AP and have no problem.. I don't know if it was a config error on my end, or if the hotels wifi was a problem.

Apologies for kind of hijacking this thread with this follow up of my own issue. I figured, my apparently wrong assumption warranted a followup.

I certainly don't mind any hijacking especially if it can bring me or someone else some better understanding.

From what I gather, a lot of work went into improving Intel wireless in 13.1 (see https://wiki.freebsd.org/WiFi/Iwlwifi). I assume, this also broke a couple things - at least in terms of how stuff used to work.
FWIW, I have had no other issues on my home network or on my phone's hot spot. I will have to take note the next time I need to connect to a larger public network.

I have been having this problem too. But it predates 13.0. The other symptom i get is spurious ‘iwm0: code ce, frame 31/12 b800002c unhandled’ and scan_results with wpa-cli times out. The wpa-cli issue is because we are not setting the send and receive buffers appropriately to handle the dozens of aps that are concurrently available now.

Status shows associated. If i tcpdump the interface i see ipv6 nd and arp requests but nothing else

Ideas?

https://forums.FreeBSD.org/threads/...hcp-not-working-iwm-iwlwifi.88343/post-603623ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP" for a encrypted WPA-PSK network
ifconfig_wlan0="DHCP" for a non-encrypted OPEN network
The WPA_SUPPLICANT will not connect to an open nonencrypted network if your leave text string "WPA" in the file /etc/rc.conf line ifconfig_wlan0="DHCP"
This is a problem for connecting from FreeBSD using a WPA-PSK wifi access point setup normally for company or home and then go on a trip and try to connect to a HOTEL or McDonalds or BurgerKing wifi network Access Point that is open and non-encrypted. WPA_Supplicant command should silently figure out to drop "WPA" because you selected to connect to an open network. At least it should ASK "Are you sure you meant to connect to an OPEN nonencrypted network SSID "Hotel_Rapunzel". Or give a loud razzle audio error, ERRRCH connecting to an Open Network, ERRRCH" in Toucan Sams voice. Ok, at least mention the error in dmesg, Okay? I have lost a whole work day trying to figure this out. How much time did you lose trying to connect to an OPEN NON-encrypted Public WiFi Network? Your Mind's eye and repetitive use of, "I always put in the text string "WPA" It has to be there or the connection does not work with normal WPA-PSK encrypted Wifi Access Points. You forget, Oh, this hotel network is "OPEN BABY OPEN" and I Shant use "WPA" with my "DCHP" to get a connection. Let the gurus who go out on conferences figure out a solution. Send a note to BSDNOW.TV show Developers listen to their content.
https://srobb.net/fbsdquickwireless.html SRobb freebsd quick wireless setup

For Open non-encrypted network minimal entry
Code:
network={
ssid="innflux"
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="wb7odyfred, post: 603623, member: 51824"]
key_mgmt=NONE
}
For a WPA-PSK encrypted network, bare minimum setup of 3 lines and 1 comment
Code:
network={
#: my NetGear box
ssid="NETGEAR59"
psk="my_passkey_892"
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

See https://forums.FreeBSD.org/threads/...hcp-not-working-iwm-iwlwifi.88343/post-603623 for details

Back