plz help my friend installed feebsd on my computer does anyone know why my wifi isnt working i tried all the drivers here are the pages from the microsoft site: https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...1000-laptop-pc-series/32612084/model/35335672

also does anyone know where freebsd put the shortcut to overwatch 2 it was on my dekstop but not its not and also i have a different wallpaper and also where's edge, i dont like firefox

No. Kidding. Kidding.

I just installed FreeBSD for the first time in forever, excited that support for my wireless card has finally made it into the kernel. I'm a 15-year Linux user and have messed around with OpenBSD some in the past, but I have next to no experience with FreeBSD, so please bear with me. I had it installed briefly a year ago, but there was a motherboard conflict between the supported Intel card I swapped out my 8821CE for and a random stick of RAM I threw in there, and I decided to keep the RAM, so FreeBSD had to go.

The actual problem is that even though I got my (original) wifi card to work, it stops working somewhere between two and fifteen minutes after I boot my computer, like clockwork. When it stops working (it just hangs infinitely if I try to ping a site, and sites won't load in a browser), the only way to get it to start again is to either run service netif restart or to disconnect from wifi and reconnect using wifimgr, and either option has a solid 25% chance of causing a kernel panic (Panic String: page fault) and crashing the entire computer. And even if that didn't happen, it will stop working again a few minutes after. (This is a serious problem if I'm trying to download large files over FTP, even if I didn't mind rebooting my computer every ten minutes, which I do, so I have to get it figured out.)

Notably, there isn't anything interesting in dmesg or /var/log/messages when the internet stops working.

I'm using this wifi driver: https://wiki.freebsd.org/WiFi/Rtw88

I do boot it up with compat.linuxkpi.skb.mem_limit=1 in loader.conf, because, if I don't, I get 8,000 errors in the terminal per second, and the card doesn't work very well.

One solution I tried is to get wifibox working, and it works more consistently in the sense that it never stops working entirely or crashes the computer if I restart it, but the speeds are, much of the time, terrible. Abysmal. Like, dial-up connection bad. It seems to work fine for two minutes or so, then it's like it's stopped communicating with the router, and then it'll take three minutes to load a page for a while, and then it might start working for a minute or two, and so on and so forth.

I've tried both if_rtw88 and wifibox on both 2.4GHz bands and 5GHz bands.

I did some digging in the forums before this, and it looks like people who have had similar issues with wifi cards have had people recommend looking at either power save settings or a "rekey error". The former only included instructions for checking power save options for a USB dongle, so I'm not sure how to check the same for PCI devices (if such a thing even exists), and I honestly have no idea what the latter means.

Here's my loader.conf

Code:
compat.linuxkpi.skb.mem_limit=1

hw.vmm.amdvi.enable=1

Here's my rc.conf:

Code:
# Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable

dumpdev="AUTO"

kld_list="amdgpu acpi_video"

dbus_enable="YES"

lightdm_enable="YES"

#wifibox_enable="YES"

#devmatch_enable="YES"

#devmatch_blocklist="if_rtw88"

#ifconfig_wifibox0="SYNCDHCP"

#background_dhclient_wifibox0="YES"

wlans_rtw880="wlan0"

ifconfig_wlan0="WPA SYNCDHCP"

#background_dhclient_wlan0="YES"

#defaultroute_delay="0"

powerd_enable="NO"

Obviously, I comment out the lines relating to wifibox when I want to use rtw88 and vice-versa.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (with either wifibox or native wifi; I don't care at this point as long as it works).

Also, while I expect someone to ask me to post logs (I'm a regular over at Gentoo's IRC at this point), please be specific since I'm new to FreeBSD and don't know where anything is.

I think for you the freebsd handbook is a good way to start learning the system as it should have a section for WiFi: https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/

Can you run the uname -a to show what version of FreeBSD you're running? Let's also list your wifi hardware as well you can run the command: pciconf -lv which you can sort the system.

Its better to know the system first and understand it before diving into problem directly as you might be missing couple pieces of information.

Here is wifibox setup on GhostBSD https://forums.ghostbsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2578
under forums.ghostbsd.org https://forums.ghostbsd.org/viewforum.php?f=64 look wifibox
Share back your working /etc/rc.conf and /boot/loader.con and wifibox settings as attached files (or inline code) when it works for you Others following can copy and paste to setup their wifibox.

ps. saw new files in FreeBSD Current get downloaded into /usr/src for Rtw88 so maybe freebsd wifi drivers are getting update in FreeBSD 15.0-CURRENT

Back