Why does not KDE5 mount usbkey?

Hello
I have problem with usbkey mount under KDE5

Why does not KDE5 mount usbkey?

In Xfce4 there is no problem anymore. Now everything works after installation.. USBkey mounts after inserting into the drive
In the past .. It used to be necessary to give permissions to users in policykitd + devfs.rules.

I have tired some solutions:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/kde-mount-dvd-and-thumb-drives.65221/
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/usb-disks.html
and another..
and it doesn't working...

A lot of people have problems installing usbkey in graphic environments.
Is it not possible to create a uniform system level mechanism that will work, with every graphic environment?
It really discourages users to use the graphical environment under FreeBSD.
Not everyone wants to mount usbkey in console on the command line. In windows, linux everything works, in FreeBSD it does not work and you have to constantly combine. It works once, once it does not.
For many years as I have worked on FreeBSD like Desktop this topic is neglected. To get more and more FreeBSD users with the graphic environment it must be implemented in the system.

I had HAL, and HAL doesn't working in kde5 .

I tried the solution given by ILUXA with autofs , but it still does not work ...
After the command mount, you can see
map -media on / media (autofs)
But still the usbkey does not want to mount. You can not see it in kde at all.

That's why I've come up with suggestions that developers will solve this problem at the level of the basic system in the future.
So it can not be to spend a lot of time setting up something (by trial and error) to make it work. It should work immediately after installation. Or a simple (working) configuration.

kpa
I have been in contact with freebsd since 2006 (6.0 Release), linux since 2000
]:>

But what I see in FreeBSD is that some things are going in the right direction, and some with bad ones. If the FreeBSD community wants to have more people with FreeBSD on the desktop, it would be a good idea to take care of such matters. The lack of desktop usability of FreeBSD does not bring new users. It's time to turn your attention to desktop users as well...

In that case you should have learned some heavy duty problem solving skills already. As for your claim that lack of desktop is the deciding factor in bringing new users to FreeBSD, you're full of it and you know it.

Hello,

some days ago I've started a similar thread on bsdforen.de:
https://www.bsdforen.de/threads/plasma5-und-mounten-von-ntfs-devices-per-plasma5-bordmitteln.34604

In this comment @tcberner explains the current situation:
https://www.bsdforen.de/threads/pla...ces-per-plasma5-bordmitteln.34604/post-306549
We've to rebuild devel/kf5-solid after adding option bsdisks

But we've to be patient, because bsdisks isn't completed yet. When building devel/kf5-solid with bsdisks, applikations like k3b, dolphin etc. are not able to detect optical media.

Tobias explains it in the same thread:
Das Problem ist, dass bsdisks zur Zeit die Optischen Laufwerke noch nicht "exportiert" -- deswegen sieht k3b zur Zeit ohne hald noch keine solchen Devices.
Der Entwickler arbeitet aber daran
Currently the problem is, that bsdisks doesn't "export" optical devices, so at the moment k3b isn't able to detect optical media without hal
But the developer is working on it

Kind regards,
Holger

xfce4 works with usbkey and optical media out of box..
There is questions for developers of port kde and FreeBSD developers..
why the same isn/t work under kde5?

It will by wonderfull when after kde instalation you could use thease devices out of box,
whitout any configurations.

This week I once again attempted to set this up.
And I did not succeed again :(

xfce4 works with usbkey and optical media out of box..
There is questions for developers of port kde and FreeBSD developers..
why the same isn/t work under kde5?

It will by wonderfull when after kde instalation you could use thease devices out of box,
whitout any configurations.

This week I once again attempted to set this up.
And I did not succeed again :(

Hi,

please keep in mind, that plasma5 is a rather new project in official FreeBSD. And plasma5 obviously uses other mechanisms to handle external devices as xfce4 does.

bsdisks is for FreeBSD what udisks is for GNU/Linux. bsdisks is also a young project and some things are not complete (detecting optical devices) and need time to be completed.

Since this morning I build a new local plasma5 repo with poudriere (qt5-webengine need a long time but it will be ready in a few hours). I'll test again the behaviour of kf5-solid, bsdisks, plasma5, external devices.

Meanwhile you can use xfce4. When plasma5, kf5-solid and bsdisks will be ready to use for external devices, you can give it a further try.

Another point: You write, that it would be wonderfull when after kde instalation you could use thease devices out of box whitout any configurations.

This is an understandable point of view. But here are some differences between a lot of GNU/Linux distributions and FreeBSD:
In FreeBSD you explicitely have to activate stuff, you need. German spoken:
FreeBSD rollt Dir keinen roten Teppich aus :)
Okay, xfce4 works out of the box without further configuration in FreeBSD ... but wait: I think, when you want to mount an usb key formatted with ntfs, then you also have to load fuse, you've to install fusefs-ntfs and so on. In a popular GNU/Linux distribution you just have to install stuff and it works.

A shock for every FreeBSD beginner perhaps is the output after installing k3b :D
Code:
Message from k3b-18.08.2:

1. The FreeBSD k3b port supports SCSI drives only. If you have IDE CD or DVD
   drives, use them through the cam system. See Chapter 17.5.1 of the handbook
   (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html)
2. k3b has to be started from a root console, which is not recommended.
   Alternatively, do ALL of the following:
   a. Set the suid flag on cdrecord and cdrdao. The 'Notes' chapter of
      'man cdrecord' discusses this.
   b. Set the vfs.usermount sysctl variable to 1.
        # sysctl vfs.usermount=1
      Add the line vfs.usermount=1 to /etc/sysctl.conf
      Note that this has negative security implications
   c. Every user must have read and write access to /dev/cdX:
      - add to your /etc/devfs.rules under '[system=10]':
          add path 'cd*' mode 666
      - or if you prefer allow access for a group XXX only add instead:
          add path 'cd*' mode 660 group XXX
      - to enable it, add to your /etc/rc.conf a
          devfs_system_ruleset="system"
   d. Every user who should be able to use k3b must have read and write access
      to all pass through devices connected with CD and DVD drives and to the
      /dev/xpt0 device. Run 'camcontrol devlist' to identify those devices (seek
      string 'passX' at the end of each line). Note, that this is a security
      leak as well but that there is no alternative!
      - add to your /etc/devfs.rules under '[system=10]':
          add path 'pass*' mode 666
          add path 'xpt0' mode 666
      - or if you prefer allow access for a group XXX only add instead:
          add path 'pass*' mode 660 group XXX
          add path 'xpt0' mode 660 group XXX
      - to enable it, add to your /etc/rc.conf
          devfs_system_ruleset="system"
      - to apply these changes without reboot, run as root:
          /etc/rc.d/devfs restart
3. Create a directory on a partition, which has enough disk space to hold a CDs
   or DVDs content (usually below /usr). Enter this directory in Settings->
   Configure K3b...->Misc.

But also this is no sorcery.

Kind regards
Holger

Yes I know. I understand and I am aware of this ... I remember that I also had to configure xfce with PolicyKit.conf and pkla (to work to be able to shutdown, reset and hibernate) and devfs.rules ... Now it works out of box in xfce...
So I am looking forward to implementing this mechanism, which will create a fully-fledged desktop graphics environment under FreeBSD and KDE.
Under Linux everything works ok...

Under Linux everything works ok...

Often it seems so, but also under GNU/Linux stuff like plasma5 sometimes does not work properly, because of its complexity. Before switching to FreeBSD I've worked with GNU/Linux (Debian unstable, openSUSE, Antergos etc.). And there were also annoying things around stuff like plasma5, sddm, libreoffice and so on.

Meanwhile I also try to work with a combination of openbox + tint2 + stuff from lxde + slim + xfe + dsbmd/dsbmc. This stuff needs a second to start, very awesome.

Don't understand me in a wrong way: I like plasma5, kde apps like dolphin, okular, konsole and software like digikam, this match my workflows more than such minimalistic desktop solutions. But for me is exciting to test both, a "monstre" like plasma5 and an openbox based solution.

Not remember that xfce could mount anything without additional ports automatically.
KDE5 with bsddisk mounts my pendrive without any configuration. But it is rather fragile: sometime label is not displayed or if usb disk has GPT structure, it tries to mount /dev/daX itself, not partition. Or it doubles available partitions. 1 time I've even got panic on unmount in dolphin.

This is working okay for me but I had to enable dbus and hald in /etc/rc.conf before it worked: dbus_enable="YES" and hald_enable="YES". This is a fresh install of FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE-p4 with pkg install xorg kde5 and little else. The automount functions seem a little buggy, but it works well enough to get the job done. It doesn't consistently automount USB drives at login, but it does detect them and mount them when they are inserted, and make them writable by my user account. Sometimes (usually?) I have to restart dolphin before it will let me unmount the drive.

Previously I was using the /etc/devfs.rules and /usr/local/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf files you mentioned, but now I've backed those changes out, and it still works. I think the trick to it, now, is in the GUI System Settings widget (and maybe this is a new thing?):

System Settings > Removable Storage > Removable Devices > "Enable automatic mounting of removable media"

I'm guessing that this setting was in conflict with my previous settings in devfs.rules and PolicyKit.conf, because nothing was working consistently for me until I ticked/enabled that automatic mounting option checkbox. I'm also guessing that it would have likely worked okay, "out of the box," if only I had found that option first, but I haven't explicitly tested that particular idea yet.

Using FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE-p4, no DE, just a WM and vermaden's automount set up, no HAL enabled, just dbus. Works flawlessly. KDE is a different animal though so maybe it plays into the mounting as well, not sure, never used it on FreeBSD.

Going to give DSBMD another try soon, based on this post I found earlier this AM:

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/dsbmd-a-media-mounting-daemon-automounter-for-freebsd.63534/

Would like to get away from dbus and hald as soon as I can, but for now at least they've been working for me, and, more to the point, it's all working pretty much "right out of the box" so to speak. I like KDE but I think it's still having growing pains and there may be a few old dependencies on hald and dbus that may take a bit more time for them to weed out of it. Hoping to be wrong about that ha but we'll see.

Back