Which is your Favourite Linux?

vermaden said:
You can use pkgsrc.org / apt-get (slapt) / openpkg.org with Slackware to provide package management with dependency handling.
I've tried using pkgsrc with openbsd, slackware and opensolaris -and I've never been able to reliably get any of the more complex items (gnome, or even firefox) to build. That may be due to my lack of programming skills; but it makes me wonder if it's really possible to use pkgsrc as a full-out application/package manager outside of netbsd.

• Thanks
Reactions: Oko
rliegh said:
I've tried using pkgsrc with openbsd, slackware and opensolaris -and I've never been able to reliably get any of the more complex items (gnome, or even firefox) to build. That may be due to my lack of programming skills; but it makes me wonder if it's really possible to use pkgsrc as a full-out application/package manager outside of netbsd.

OpenSolaris is not one of the supported platforms unfotunelly (Solaris 8/9 is if I recall corectlry), althout I saw multiple howtos on blogs about making pkgsrc work @ OpenSolaris.

Also why use pkgsrc @ OpenBSD when OpenBSD has its own ports?

vermaden said:
OpenSolaris is not one of the supported platforms unfotunelly (Solaris 8/9 is if I recall corectlry), althout I saw multiple howtos on blogs about making pkgsrc work @ OpenSolaris.

Also why use pkgsrc @ OpenBSD when OpenBSD has its own ports?

The same reason I tried to use it on FreeBSD; if you can use one framwork on multiple operating systems, then you only have to download one set of distfiles. It's more convient to build what you need in pkgsrc, archive the distfiles and then have them available when you feel like using another BSD -as opposed to having to re-download them seperately for Free and Open BSD.

I don't know, I haven't touched Linux in ages. These days, my proven combo is FreeBSD and Mac OS X. Total Unix and total productivity!

rliegh said:
It is of course possible on DragonFly which is tier one platform for pkgsrc but you have a good point about other platforms. That was my personal experience as well on OpenBSD. I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that I always install native XOrg.
Maybe pkgsrc will work better when NetBSD switches completely to Xorg after 5.0 release.

To people how are wondering why would somebody use pkgsrc on OpenBSD I will give couple reasons.

OpenBSD is mostly binary source OS and packages are updated once in 6 months. Using pkgsrc will enable you to use OpenBSD in the same fashion like FreeBSD (moving target packages).
Obviously there are 3000 more pkgsrc then OpenBSD ports and almost 5000 more counting vip pkgsrc.
Finally OpenBSD has no stable packages anymore while pkgsrc has constant security updates.

Hi, after reading all these post, but witch linux would be good for a web site server.. I'm very very new to this.. Thank you..

amorosso said:
Hi, after reading all these post, but witch linux would be good for a web site server.. I'm very very new to this.. Thank you..

Any version of Linux should ship with the Apache web server.

amorosso said:

E.g. Debian and Centos - both with stability and reliability in mind.

oliverh said:
E.g. Debian and Centos - both with stability and reliability in mind.
Hi OliverH,

I know you have been using Linux since 1992 or so. Could you give some objective comparasion of four major Linux distros
CentOS, OpenSuSE, Debian, and Slack firstly for the server then for the Desktop.

I have been living most of my adult life in U.S. and seems to me that nothing compares to RedHat (CentOS) when it comes to enterprise level server and even a desktop. On the another hand for a hobbiest or non-proprietary applications Slack seems the best thing. In my personal experiance Slack people are also most competent Unix users closely followed by RedHat.I have really bad experiences with Debian people and pretend to be Debian (Ubuntu) people. I must confess though that Ubuntu is closest to Windows and OS X among non-proprietary systems but RedHat is
really good IMHO for a enterprise desktop.OpenSuSE user base in U.S. is non existing in my experience.

Thanks for any input.

Hi Oko

apart from *BSD I am long-time Slacker. Centos is in my opinion the 'new shooting star' at the os heaven. Debian is yet a good system, easy to administer but it has got some massive problems lately because of 'politics'. Compared to 'rpm hell' Debian _can_work like a charm, but in the end I would chose Centos because of the overall quality. So 'Gods own distro - Debian - is a very difficult case, it _can_ fulfill certain tasks but it has got - in my very own opinion - a tendency for failure.

Centos for servers, Slack for the Desktop of the somewhat experienced user.

• Thanks
Reactions: Oko
I don't have one favorite Linux distro, I use a few for different reasons. I think a lot of people on here do the same.

Mandriva: Windows *desktop* replacement (websurfing, watching DVDs, games, fun stuff, etc)

Novell's SLED: Windows *workstation* replacement (All work, no play!)

Debian: Linux workstation

I haven't done too much with Linux servers so no opinion there. But I would probably choose Debian. When I do use FreeBSD it's for a workstation. To me, Debian and FreeBSD are analogous to each other. Both very reliable OSes. Still not too familiar with FreeBSD but I hope to be soon.

Slackware would be the only "acceptable" Linux distro for me.

Personally I don't like Debian's "symlinking" - placing configuration files under /etc, then symlinking them across the system, also for some Webapps. Some people may get used to it, for me it's just confusing.

Arch Linux (another relatively unknown giant) with a great package manager (pacman). What I would like to ask is if there's a graphical package manager equivalent to Shaman (a graphical package manager for Pacman).

When DOS was eaten by windows95, I went looking for a CLI, and eventually found slackware. Whilst scrolling through the interminable comments of some forgotten /. article, I saw a reference to FreeBSD and decided to try it. I still have a soft spot in my heart for slackware (hail Bob), but gentoo is fine for linux and I'm playing with arch (and it seemeth okay). Ubuntu is what I installed for the GF.

Linux's /etc gives me the heebie jeebies, though.

New user here, and relatively new to FreeBSD as well. But a longtime Linux user. My favorite Linux distributions are Lunar and Sorcerer. Two of my production machines are powered by them and will remain so as well. My first experience with FreeBSD was loading it on a Lenovo laptop, and everything works great. Eyeing my other laptops for the migration as well.

The linux I would join with FreeBSD is...

Hi!, This is my first post here!!!, I noticed that FreeBSD has it own forums... TODAY!!!

About the linux I like (and, as the Thread creator said, I love FreeBSD), it will be Slackware.

Why?, because it is not too easy, just like FreeBSD, I love that when you install FreeBSD, you must do everything, the OS will not do that for you, and, after a minutes installing, all you get is a simple CLI, and, WOW!!!, you can control the world with that..., about Slackware, I liked that, when installig, it says:

"You must partition your disk, use fdisk...", I toke it like: "I will not do that for you, so!, let's move!"... And thats why in the other side, I hate *buntus and the other linux distros.

The other linux I like is named Austrumi, it is a really interesting proyect, you burn your CD, boot from it, it loads the OS on RAM, the CD is ejected, and you have a very minimalist linux working on your RAM... like Live-CD but pretty much faster...

But, really I am a PC-BSD user (I know it is quite simple as Ubuntu, but it has FreeBSD behind...), and a FreeBSD newbie (I wanna use it all in CLI)

Greetings from MEXICO!!!

amorosso said:

we've run our home servers with slackware, ubuntu, openbsd, debian and finally freebsd7. we have had no problems with any of them other than ubuntu when i followed an upgrade that crashed the server and didn't get fixed for a day or so as well as with openbsd where i did the regular upgrades which led to a deterioration of a system that had been running quite well for more than half-a-year.

on the freebsd-questions maillist i asked about upgrading and got some very sound advice from more than one person. if everything is working as you want it to, why would you want to upgrade?

we've been running freebsd7 for more than a year now and we're sticking with it!

rghq said:
Personally I don't like Debian's "symlinking" - placing configuration files under /etc, then symlinking them across the system, also for some Webapps.

i agree! initially, i had thought this was a clever and flexible idea, but things felt a lot more unnecessarily complex afterwards.

Top Three Linux Distributions

The fallowing is a list of my three favorite Linux Distributions

1. Ubuntu ( Best For Laptops)
  2. 2. OpenSuse ( Mostt hardware support for Pavillion a6230n)
  3. Debian (Best for Cli based systems (I.E. Servers and power user Desktops))

Back