Which is your Favourite Linux?

Ruler2112 said:
The Linux I use most often is the System Rescue CD for troubleshooting, cleaning, and recovering data from systems. I feel that this is the 'best' Linux out there - not to run your machine with on a regular basis, but rather as a rescue/troubleshooting tool.

I just fiddled with it a bit in qemu, an it's definitely plusgood. What linux should be: A fixit tool for real operating systems.

CodeBlock said:
No, but according to http://kongoni.co.za/news/the-end, it is now unmaintained and looking for a new lead developer.

How sad. That was just yesterday that he posted it. I understood that it was on a short list of distributions approved by the FSF. Maybe someone there can keep it going. I will send the link to their mailing list.

I Have tried every Linux distribution and decided on Debian for several reasons. The lease of which the minimal footprint of 80MB with a full gnome desktop.

My favorite linux is FreeBSD

Since the majority of apps that I run were developed for linux before they were ported to FreeBSD. I'd have to say that running them on the FreeBSD kernel provides the best experience for me.
I have also installed /usr/ports/www/linux-f10-flashplugin10 and /usr/ports/www/nspluginwrapper. Most new versions of linux distros no longer provide nspluginwrapper in their repos. Instead they suggest using the Adobe 64bit flash plugin beta or gnash while we wait for html5 to change the way media is streamed in a browser.
By using the Fedora 10 port however I am able to get the performance that I remember having with nspluginwrapper in linux way back when.
In fact the older versions of almost all ported linux applications without the constant system updating to be in sync with a repository is what I like most about FreeBSD. Its so much more stable when not that much changes.

It depends now on the equipment.
Fedora for the laptops, debian and freebsd for the desktops.
Openbsd for qemu, netbsd for stubborn machines.
I'd say that knoppix is a good one to keep, version 5.x. Also a customized debiab live cd is another backup.
Hmm.
I've used Netbsd live to fix.

I've tried many of linux distros: Debian, Arch, *ubuntu, redhat, fedora, gentoo. FreeBSD is like a magnet and has always been attracting me with its simplicity and robustness, so I've decided to leave the linux world for a while ;)

I'd definitely have to say Gentoo, because of its Portage system. And while Portage can sometimes have its problems, it's largely been very good to me, and has allowed me to keep very fine-grained control over my system with minimal issues. It's also really damn easy to tinker with your entire system (all forms of upgrades or rollbacks are usually painless), but very difficult to get your system into a bad state, where extensive troubleshooting would be required (as the more control you have, the easier it is to mess things up).

But other than Gentoo, no other Linux distros really tickle my fancy except for Arch Linux (and possibly Slackware), as the only types of distros I use anymore are "meta distros", which are essentially distros that let you build your software from the ground-up.

It shall also be noted that, for the record, I'm new to FreeBSD, and have only been using it for a couple of days. Admittedly, the main reason for doing so is because I heard that Portage had a lot in common with Ports - but also because a *BSD operating system has been something I've wanted to try for a while now.

So far, I like it, but I'm going to withhold my final judgment until I get some more experience with it.

I've used arch and debian. mostly.
After some sw&hw-update there came a problem called iowait, and some minor issueses. I've found zen-kernel that has no-such-problem as iowait by words of some of my friends. Than the other problem appeared - i totally hate configuring linux-kernel, because all of that make *config crap just sucks (e.g. - is not usable for me, i just get stuck with such many options there), and because .config does not has any comments in it. Ok, so i've tried the pkgbuild from arch's aur, but it did not work - with the root hdd disappeared from /dev (with the other two on the same controller still present). So, i gave up on arch and tried to look around for a good alternative with zen-kernel out-of-box or something. It's better to change my way to install software than to use unusable make configs or learn what is every last option in .config-file.
Then i've found that one of my local foss-community website members also has had such a problem back in 2006, so i've just reused his experience and installed freebsd (that was 7.2 at that moment). And i've liked the whole thing about it, except some things in the ports system (some of ports are just kind of strange if to talk about dependencies: why does minimalistic browser called uzbl want some gnome-monster things (gconf)? It is not the problem of the whole ports, but the local problem of one of the ports. It even could be considered as not-a-problem, yes. But still, i just do not want to have something that i do not use in my system. It is not hdd-free-space issue, or performance-issue - it's just emotions, yup). I've retried to stick back to linux with new ubuntu 10.04 release (no real reason - just wanted to see any improvements with bugs i've steped in earlier) - just to see that my hardware bugs are fixed, as i could know with ~3hrs of testing livecd. But i just do not feel like installing linux will give me anything good. And alsa sounds worse than oss.

I tried Linux for many years without success until it finally clicked. Redhat a couple times, Debian, Corel, Mandrake, DSL, PCLinuxOS, OpenSUSE, and finally Ubuntu, where I could finally ditch MS.

Now my intention is to ditch Ubuntu and migrate everything to FreeBSD to get ZFS features. For desktop systems, I still like Ubuntu, not too much hassle. FreeBSD is more elegant in its design.

I've also dabbled with OpenBSD.

For firewall/URL filter/QOS/WAP type applications I've used pfsense for a while, but found ZeroShell to be more versatile. It's really nice, I recommend it highly.

Just updated Ubuntu for my fathers desktop.
He loves it, but he takes a look for fbsd on the virtualbox, and well, he says that it's kind of easier to maintain, update & reconfigure(for the base system), and he loves that easy rc.d scripts and rc.conf syntax, and he says it's kind of faster than new ubuntu on that virtualbox was, but he hates the idea of compiling some software like openoffice that is not present in the package-repos.
Also he needs stable virtualbox or any other fast (e.g. qemu+kqemu is not fast enough, but kvm is) to get virtual windows environment for his work. Any suggestions?

Also, i've tried out openbsd as a desktop on qemu, and well, i've liked it - but i'll miss all that portupgrade stuff & framebuffer & mplayer-mt (has anyone compiled&tried it? As i understand what giant lock is, mplayer-mt won't work with obsd). And gpart hdd migration will be tricky, i think, as obsd doesn't support it :)
Now I use 4.7 as my pretty-old-hardware-home-router thing.

I've installed and used suse, slackware, redhat, ubuntu, debian, mandriva (conectiva/mandrake), etc in desktop a long time ago. Today I have two VPS debian, because I don't found a freeBSD VPS with best cost/benefit. In my work I use Windows :( to develop Java apps. In my home I'm setting one development server with svn, trac, https, tomcat, postgreSQL, nexus (maven repository mirror), etc. on freeBSD 8 in a Dell server quadcore xeon and for develop my Java and Objective C apps, I use Mac OS X.

nekoexmachina said:
Also he needs stable virtualbox or any other fast (e.g. qemu+kqemu is not fast enough, but kvm is) to get virtual windows environment for his work. Any suggestions?

WINE + FreeBSD ?

Then there are 2 things. Or dual boot with 2 os. Freebsd and the other one he needs but is something that always avoid and don't like it and the other is a virtual machine. I recommend vmware-server. Is free,more complicated than virtualbox but better and i have read somewhere that on vmware, windows run faster than if you install them on a desktop pc with the same system requirements!
I have played with vmware-server and is really veeeery good!!!

There is no native version of vmware for fbsd, as i know, and linux-emulation-layer is, well, the thing i will not use if there is no need like 'die-or-use'. Now he's using virtualbox (on linux), and as i used virtualbox on bsd last time (a day after importing it into ports :) ) it was buggy (e.g. segfaulted while installing some linux distro). May be it was not vbox problem - i didn't even bother to look - so i'll give it one more try some time like nearest weekend.
Also i've played around with some obsd things with qemu-kqemu on my fbsd-desktop; well, it was actually fast. Much faster than i expected it to be, something like the time i've used qemu-kvm on linux half-a-year ago.
So, when i'll visit dad next time, i'll try to do an installation of windows under freebsd host with qemu, probably it will be fast enough :)

Also he really liked the whole openbsd lyrics thing except for the first song :)

I have played with vmware-server and is really veeeery good!!!
When i was using gentoo.
Now on my computer,i run virtualbox. Simple just to do the job. It runs fine and i haven't problems.
I didn't see if there is vmware on ports.
I have read about qemu-kqemu but i have never tried it so i have no idea if it worths.

SPlissken said:
I discovered SalixOS some months ago , a slack based distro
It's slack for newbye, easy to install and to use.

Yeah, salixOS is nice & has a very good package manager, extremely fast.

Back