Which is your Favourite Linux?

Just a thought, would it be possible to repost this thread as a poll? Let's say with the top 15-20 linux distros from distrowatch.com ? I'm actually curious to knowing how many BSD users favor slackware.

I started with Mandrake/Mandriva-Linux. At some of my Desk/Laptops i'm still using it. Installing/Upgrading software is very easy (compared to yast :D) and it just works.

Regarding Slackware, it was my first "admin" Linux experience ever (i didn't count in playing with Ubuntu and Debian desktops). First servers I ever built in my life were on FreeBSD, and I learned it substantially before I tried any Linux deployment. I was very happy learning that FreeBSD and "hardcore" Slackware are very similar :)

dulemars said:
Regarding Slackware, it was my first "admin" Linux experience ever (i didn't count in playing with Ubuntu and Debian desktops). First servers I ever built in my life were on FreeBSD, and I learned it substantially before I tried any Linux deployment. I was very happy learning that FreeBSD and "hardcore" Slackware are very similar :)

Well, back in the good old times, Slackware counted as entry-level distro. Nowadays it's quiet different, but that's not the fault of Slackware or FreeBSD. So "hardcore" is somewhat wrong in my opinion.

Hmm - Slackware - pkgsrc runs quite fine on it. Problem may be some packages Slackware needs & ships cause problems with pkgsrc ones.
Still meanwhile, Arch is a nice one. Still not for use on Servers but that's not their focus anyways.

It is hard to say. I started just for fun doing multiboot because it was to hard for me to choose ...
As I was and still am new to all of this stuff and I did not had to much time for doing a study on Grub(2). Lilo was no obtion for me (that is why I did not liked Slackware) because it only supports limited partitions (because at a certain moment I was running up till 38 distro's).
So I tried almost all (commercial) bootmanager on the market because I am still not into programming and that kind of stuff.

I tried most out of Distrowatch. Really liked Hymera (Italian and Debian based but no longer active I believe), the standard Interface was not much but it had also a a very beautiful one included which could be activated in the extra options. Did not understood why it was not their general Desktop Environment, one of the most beautiful on the Linux market. Gos (Ubuntu based) was (was because I do not think it is still active) a OSX look a like.

I did not like Sidux because some updates messed up some other partitions, especially the grub part. That reminds me of another distro of which I do not remember the name anymore. It had a special updating system, I believe it was called Conakry or something like that. It tried to update all other Linux kernels if found too on the other partitions with the result I could start all over again...

I liked SuperOS and Ultimate Edition because all the stuff it had included from the start. Vector Linux, Black Panther, OpenGeu, Chakra and PC/OS nice to try and had each their own special blend. DreamLinux is still on the to do list, what ever I do I am unable to install this one because of some bug towards my hardware. Trisquel is a stripped version of Ubuntu, I like it because it really demonstrates how good a Linux Distro is capable of watching flash movies without the flashplugin of Adobe without any problems although this plugin still has to be installed after the installation.

On the end I had a few distros left of which I was unable to choose from ...
- Sabayon and MoonOS (Very beautiful Desktop Environment)
- Linux Mint (Beautiful and out of the box experience)
- PcLinuxOs, Deephin, and especially Zorin OS and YLMF OS are very Windows Look a like as Desktop Environment (not everything of Windows is bad)
- Pardus was also very nice to have, although sometimes buggy
- Ubuntu Netbook I liked too to have as desktop.
- OpenSuse : what can I say about this one, is there anything left to be improved? I doubt it. Also the fact that it downloading the updates and installing them at the same time whilst working without any delay on the system was very impressive. 1.5 gb within 20 minutes was amazing.

My final observation was that 60% of Linux distros used is Ubuntu based. Ubuntu is actually a polished and user friendly version of Debian. So actually it is Debian which is running the show.

It seems I am unable to edit my own posts.

The package manager I was referring to and which tried to update all other Linux kernels it found on the other partitions is not Conakry but Conary from rPath. There is another ditro based on rPath I tried too, Foresight. Foresight is completely closed as I remember, you have to give the admin password for every breath you take. Terrible to use if you know nothing about it. Even Arch Linux with their manual for noobs was easier to use.

El_Barto said:
It seems I am unable to edit my own posts.

Maybe you're able to read your signup email, or the Sticky posts in the General forum ;)

I would also be put on the Slackware list. I have played with a lot of Linuxes, but loved Slackware and how simple it was. Slackware is what got me interested in FreeBSD. Slackware's handbook tells you to look in the FreeBSD handbook for more answers : )

sizemj said:
I would also be put on the Slackware list. I have played with a lot of Linuxes, but loved Slackware and how simple it was. Slackware is what got me interested in FreeBSD. Slackware's handbook tells you to look in the FreeBSD handbook for more answers : )

Really? :)

killasmurf86 said:

Yes it does. Pat actually tells people all the time to basically not even bother with Linux web sites, and that if you want answers for things, most Linux pages are PR based crap, and to look into BSD as you'll get actual technical information.

Also, if you order from the Slackware Store, and BSD Mall, you get your stuff in the same box. I had an order for FreeBSD books, software, shirts, and so on, and the same day, an order for Slackware software, shirt, books, and so on, and the next day they were on my porch in the same box.

Also, the Slackware official CD and the FreeBSD ones, look almost identical. I'm pretty sure they're made a few feet away from each other lol. I've also been told my people at the FreeBSDMall they like Slackware. And Pat seems to really love BSD. I've talked to him a few times, good guy.

I do not have a favorite Linux distro but last year I wiped FreeBSD, which I had been using since 6.0 was released, and installed Gentoo. I never had a problem with FreeBSD but something about the Gentoo 'g' icon kept calling my name. The one advantage to using Gentoo instead of FreeBSD is Flash support. On FreeBSD, nspluginwrapper would hang or there would be one instance per tab that was open in Firefox. The IMDb.com web site was where I had the most problems with viewing its content with Flash enabled. I do not blame FreeBSD in any way, shape, or form, but seeing how much nicer Flash runs with Gentoo I will be staying here a bit longer, although I do prefer FreeBSD as a whole. Gnash was hit-or-miss with a lot of miss.

P.S. Any word on when Adobe will offer a native version of Flash for FreeBSD?:(

Flash has been working fine on 32-bit and 64-bit FreeBSD for ages now. If it doesn't: PEBKAC, I'm afraid.

@DutchDaemon well, most of the time. There are websites with Flash that fail on FreeBSD and I'm not talking of Youtube or watching movies. For the latter I use clive.

Hiya,

After seeing that OS2 is going nowhere, I had installed SuSE in '99. Soon, found out about rpm deps hell and switched to Gentoo and fighting with it on ~amd64 for more than 5yrs...then switched to my current distro -Archlinux.

Now, I'm evaluating PCBSD-9 (under vbox) and soon plan to shrink my lvm2+raid-1 ext4 array in order to test with real hardware...hopefully making full switch by the time of 9.0 (maybe even sooner if everything will be ok). ;)

All in all, I believe that F/PCBSD is upgrade from the current OS and I'm going to put it on the desktop of several people believing I'll have less problems servicing and maintaing their machines. :)

Dependency problems on SUSE back then? I've been using SUSE since 8.1 Professional, and it wasn't really until around 10 that I ever ran into those. I'd go as far as saying that SUSE Linux 8.1 and 8.2 Professional were two of my favorite OSs ever. I've got a lot of them, and to this day I wonder if they'll ever make another as good as those two were. Literally everything worked out of the box on every machine I was using.

I like Gentoo Linux best, but I already managed to break the portage system in a way, where no upgrade was possible anymore already 2 times. Which brought me back to FreeBSD again, because in all the years, I never had problems with ports (of course I don't mean single ports that occasionally don't work correctly, I mean the whole tree). And before anyone mentions it, yeah, I know there is revdep-rebuild on Gentoo (but it did not work!).

FreeBSD Ports Team is the best! I love you guys. Keep the good work!

Back