Which GUI to choose?

If OpenBox can do all the things that Fluxbox then I choose OpenBox - it is much compact.
Can run OpenBox all the applications that Fluxbox?

doorways said:
If OpenBox can do all the things that Fluxbox then I choose OpenBox - it is much compact.
Can run OpenBox all the applications that Fluxbox?

Yes as they are both window managers. If your unsure what one to use just use google and look at the features each one has and what people think of them.

I've never really used Fluxbox so I'm not sure what the differences are between them.

Yes, I read a comparison of these managers. and I have all boils down to a choice OpenBox.
Probably I will continue the post after months of using this manager. After you install Office and BFBC2.
Thank you all. There is something to think about.

The theme can be paused.
Once again, thank you.

doorways said:
I wonder how this Russify manager.
You want to localize Fluxbox to Russian.

All you have to do, is to "russify" your user account
login_conf
Code:
# $FreeBSD: src/share/skel/dot.login_conf,v 1.3.36.1.6.1 2010/12/21 17:09:25 kensmith Exp $
#
# see login.conf(5)
#
#me:\
#	:charset=iso-8859-1:\
#	:lang=de_DE.ISO8859-1:
[color="Red"]me:\
	:charset=KOI8-R:\
	:lang=ru_RU.KOI8-R:
[/color][/FILE]
[B]/etc/rc.conf[/B]
[FILE]mousechar_start="3"
font8x8="cp866-8x8"
font8x14="cp866-8x14"
font8x16="cp866b-8x16"
scrnmap="koi8-r2cp866"
keymap="ru.koi8-r"
cursor="destructive"
/etc/ttys
Code:
# If console is marked "insecure", then init will ask for the root password
# when going to single-user mode.
console	none				unknown	off insecure
#
ttyv0	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25r	on  secure
# Virtual terminals
ttyv1	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25r	on  secure
ttyv2	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25r	on  secure
ttyv3	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25r	on  secure
ttyv4	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25r	on  secure
ttyv5	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25r	on  secure
ttyv6	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25r	on  secure
ttyv7	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25r	on  secure
ttyv8	"/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"	xterm	off secure

Restart system and enjoy Fluxbox and other programs localized in Russian.

doorways said:
I installed e16 GUI: /usr/ports/x11-wm/e16/
Damn, how to run?

I believe it's launcher is called starte16.

type this after running the 'rehash' command:

% which starte16

and it should send the path of the executable to stdout.

if you get output from the above command type this:

% which starte16 | awk '{print "exec " $1}' > $HOME/.xinitrc

If you have an existing .xinitrc you will need to back it up first as that command will truncate the file.

There is also a newer enlightenment which is e17. This is more like a desktop and less like fluxbox. Though this is nice I actually prefer e16. Your preferences may differ.

Openbox is heavier than blackbox,fluxbox,etc...
I have a very fast computer - no inhibitions

i don't get it why are you concerned to use a 'decent' DE if like you said you have a 'very fast' pc...

d_mon said:
Openbox is heavier than blackbox,fluxbox,etc...

i don't get it why are you concerned to use a 'decent' DE if like you said you have a 'very fast' pc...

Heck, I have AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 600e Processor, 8GB Ram. The machine flies, but come-on, when I install KDE4, It takes all the pleasure of using it away.

btw, I recommend fvwm (and xmonad if you like developing stuff, especially in terminals)

Originally Posted by d_mon.

I like the compactness. My choice - to work on the console. I need a leash GUI for watching movies, drawing, and a fully functional Internet surfing.
For everything else, I configured the console, set the text browser. I can work without running X.

Originally Posted by killasmurf86.
bte, I recommend fvwm (and xmonad if you like developing stuff, especially in terminals)

Very interesting GUI. But the configuration is done using Perl. I'm more a fan of Python (or pure Sh). At the same time OpenBox can be configured using the utility "obmenu" and "obconf".
In addition, fvwm only recently (04/2011) appeared stable 2.6.x. Do not know how d_mon, but I like the already-tested tools for years.

Originally Posted by UNIXgod.
% which starte16 | awk '{print "exec " $1}' > $HOME/.xinitrc

Thank you. It works. But I did not like. It is much easier than Fluxbox but less pleasant than in OpenBox.
I guess my choice would fall on OpenBox.

doorways said:
I like the compactness. My choice - to work on the console. I need a leash GUI for watching movies, drawing, and a fully functional Internet surfing.
For everything else, I configured the console, set the text browser. I can work without running X.

Very interesting GUI. But the configuration is done using Perl. I'm more a fan of Python (or pure Sh). At the same time OpenBox can be configured using the utility "obmenu" and "obconf".
In addition, fvwm only recently (04/2011) appeared stable 2.6.x. Do not know how d_mon, but I like the already-tested tools for years.

fvwm was always Stable. fvwm 2.7.x is also stable, it is just called development branch (or whatever), but it's rock stable

fvwm config is not done in any scripting language, fvwm has it's own config syntax.
However for better flexibility I use sh, to preprocess fvwm config file. (Could be any language)

Code:
# cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/fvwm && make && make install clean
# which fvwm | awk ‘{print “exec ” $1}’ > $HOME/.xinitrc
# startx

- Ok, I'll watch.
So far, not very well.

doorways said:
Thank you. It works. But I did not like. It is much easier than Fluxbox but less pleasant than in OpenBox.
I guess my choice would fall on OpenBox.

e16 defaults need to be tweaked. I have mine themed. You will want to explore other themes. In some cases I have seen e16 themed so well you couldn't tell which wm was running.

http://themes.effx.us/previews

Openbox was originally a fork of either fluxbox or blackbox. fluxbox is a fork of blackbox. If I recall correctly openbox removes the slit and was rewritten from scratch in c. blackbox should have the lowest sloc. All are very respectable windows managers based on the same ideas.

+1 for fluxbox. It has a toolbar, slit and tabbing included (optional) and flat, easy-to-edit configuration files.

Back