Which Build strategy for Audio Subsystem ?

I am soliciting advice on what strategy to use for Audio Subsystem when building large amounts of source from scratch.
Is there a common Audio subsystem that will work for the majority of ports ?

When building GNOME 3 + KDE5 + Mozilla ( firefox + thundebird ) VLC video playback and audio/ video recording tools such as Audacity ..........

What Audio subsystem should be consistently selected in the PORTS option dialogues to get consistently working sound/audio across the board ?

The ALSA / OSS / Pulseaudio / NAS / JACK / SNDIO selection that accompanies a large number of the PORTS ( with no guidance ) is bewildering.
Is there an Audio subsystem that is better to use for GNOME ? and another that works for KDE ? and a third for Multimedia ?
I have often ended up in a situation where Audio works for Multimedia content but not for Desktop System sounds .

I am reasonably familiar with compliers and toolchains and libraries and include files , having built OSS code since the late 1980:ies.

( please note that I am not asking about how to configure the sound card , which is well described in the Handbook )

Regards //Lars

What Audio subsystem should be consistently selected in the PORTS option dialogues to get consistently working sound/audio across the board ?

The ALSA / OSS / Pulseaudio / NAS / JACK / SNDIO selection that accompanies a large number of the PORTS ( with no guidance ) is bewildering.

The question was asked 6 months ago, but no one has answered so I'll at least put some text here (after all the post showed in my forum search on a pulseaudio topic).

My "solution" has worked but I am not confident in it. From my /etc/make.conf
Code:
#? # The general rule for audio is
#? #    if SNDIO or OSS is available set it and not PULSEAUDIO
#? #    otherwise set PULSEAUDIO if the app doesn't work without it
#? # sndio can be used in Firefox without pulseaudio by creating the about:config
#? # string variable media.cubeb.backend="sndio"
So in general I build all ports with OPTIONS_UNSET+=PULSEAUDIO and OPTIONS_UNSET+=ALSA

Of course the other answer is "just use the defaults" -- that will work well but not be optimal for what you're trying to accomplish with audio.

I only have,
OPTIONS_SET+= SNDIO FLAC MATROSKA OGG
The sndiod takes ownership of the sound device. So pulseaudio does not get a chance.
Also :
export AUDIODEVICE="snd@127.0.0.1/0.default"
export AUDIODRIVER=sndio

Back