Which browser(s) do you prefer?

browser preference

freeBSD/ArchLinux -
(1) Firefox - very much better (ie solid) than a couple of years back
(2) Iron but just on Linux (hardened chromium).

Moans? - Iron does not handle complex intrusions well
http://www.radiotimes.com

As to Opera - I too like much of this but cannot abide the bundleware approach so beloved of Microsoft. If I am searching for an email client I do not go looking for a browser and vice versa.

I'm using Opera, and use many of its features:
  • Mail client very useful and fast. Auto sorting messages by labels is cool feature, something similar I see on The Bat! mail client.
  • Opera Link - save me when system dies due to HDD failure, and on new system I have all Bookmarks, stored passwords and notes.
  • Elegance interface - not bloated with something additional panels as on Firefox (maybe I just see bad customized FFox, but I see just it.)
  • Fully customizeable
  • ADs filter - gives me all what I need from that tool
  • It runs smoothly on my not High-end desktop, and it works same good on any platform (FreeBSD, Windows, Linux)
  • I'm just use it for 8+ years and don't want to change to something else :)

G_Nerc said:
I'm using Opera, and use many of its features:
  • Mail client very useful and fast. Auto sorting messages by labels is cool feature, something similar I see on The Bat! mail client.
  • Opera Link - save me when system dies due to HDD failure, and on new system I have all Bookmarks, stored passwords and notes.
  • Elegance interface - not bloated with something additional panels as on Firefox (maybe I just see bad customized FFox, but I see just it.)
  • Fully customizeable
  • ADs filter - gives me all what I need from that tool
  • It runs smoothly on my not High-end desktop, and it works same good on any platform (FreeBSD, Windows, Linux)
  • I'm just use it for 8+ years and don't want to change to something else :)

It is also my browser of choice, which is why I am ambivalent as others about its pending switchoer to webkit. [It seems to work where other browsers fail]

Firefox normally but I'm trying chromium with the new /boot/loader.conf settings given in the handbook under browsers. In the past that one would slow my computer down even after deinstalling it.

jb_fvwm2 said:
It is also my browser of choice, which is why I am ambivalent as others about its pending switchoer to webkit. [It seems to work where other browsers fail]

Remember that webkit is the engine under the hood and not the browser itself. Also, Opera will be submitting their usual high-quality code to webkit so, in that sense, having Opera's developers working on webkit is a good thing.

webkit supports far more things than Opera did but webkit's support could be poor compared to Opera. By "support", I mean, webkit may work with a new CSS property, for example, but it may be slow or not quite correct. Opera, otoh, may support it but more likely adhere to the standard as written.

drhowarddrfine said:
Remember that webkit is the engine under the hood and not the browser itself. Also, Opera will be submitting their usual high-quality code to webkit so, in that sense, having Opera's developers working on webkit is a good thing.

webkit supports far more things than Opera did but webkit's support could be poor compared to Opera. By "support", I mean, webkit may work with a new CSS property, for example, but it may be slow or not quite correct. Opera, otoh, may support it but more likely adhere to the standard as written.

One very visible change (for me) is that the webkit developer tools are pretty crap. The fonts are too small (and no way to make 'em larger), can't copy stuff (wtf?!), network tab is annoying, buttons/UI are weird, etc...

Firefox because respect more the "anonymous browsing" idea. Next option chromium. In the past I used Opera and for some days midori.
I often 'grab' a video from Youtube to watch it locally with cclive from Ports.
There is minitube on ports. Check it. It's fantastic tool to see / download videos from youtube without flash.

I guess I'll be using Opera more, now that I know it has native Flash support through opera's gstreamer pluggin . Another plus for FreeBSD .

jasmine said:
@h3z, do you mean playing h264 video on youtube natively? Firefox can do that, too.

Guess I didn't realize. I only played with it a bit. Got gnash working on FireFox and that was the extent of my Firefox/youtube success. Opera did so on first install, so I didn't look around (past gnash) for FireFox. Thanks for the news though. Guess I'll have to look into it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back