Which browser(s) do you prefer?

The title probably says it all.

For me, it's Opera (with the Ghostery, AutoStack and 'SaveFrom.net Helper' extensions as well as a skin/theme that makes it look more like the classic Opera versions of old) hands down. I like the way it handles tabs, how it can be operated from the keyboard, how it looks and feels generally, how it performs and how it's rather strict about standards compliance. I know it's proprietary software, but unlike e.g. Theo DeRaadt I can live with that as long as it's free and there's a current native FreeBSD version available.

Feel free to vent your comments as long as it remains civil.

[edit: to be fair, I have a few annoyances as well]
  • Opera's built-in (and per-site-configurable) blocking facilities are impressive, but one has to configure this either in advance or as one goes along. If Opera came with a few (selectable) standard rulesets (e.g. based on Privoxy), that would be great. On the plus side, a well-configured Opera pretty much eliminates any need for e.g. Privoxy.
  • Just like Firefox Opera can memorise usernames, passwords and such. What I do like is that while Firefox tends to automagically fill these in, Opera's doesn't fill in anything until you use the "wand" button. But what I don't like is that clicking the wand immediately submits too and that editing what the wand fills in can be rather cumbersome.
  • Although Opera can be operated with the keyboard quite nicely, some of the default keybindings don't make a lot of sense to me and if you don't disable/modify these Opera can sometimes act rather puzzlingly when you accidently hit the wrong key combo.
  • Although I like it that you can easily add almost any search facility to the search bar, Opera does sometimes fail to get the corresponding favicon right and there doesn't seem to be a way to manually specify any.
  • Opera (optionally, if I'm not mistaken) comes with a built-in torrent client but I've never been able to get it working. Fortunately there are plenty of specific torrent clients (e.g. net-p2p/transmission, to name but one popular choice), but it still bugs me that I can't seem to be able to get Opera's built-in torrent client to work.

Firefox. Although the "awesome bar" has gotten somewhat less awesome by trying to be smart and not completing consistently. Adding AdblockPlus, FlashBlock, NoScript, and Ghostery makes the web bearable.

wblock@ said:
Adding AdblockPlus, FlashBlock, NoScript, and Ghostery makes the web bearable.
I certainly agree about Ghostery. Whoever invented that gem deserves a keg of beer at least :beer

Chromium is failing lately, shared memory complaint in latest versions to work by FreeBSD design, but still I use it as default browser. Although chromium on FreeBSD still suffers an additional handicap when it comes to extensions, I added AdBlock and Falcon proxy.

I spend most of my time in Firefox, but also use Conkeror and Opera.

Firefox add-ons:

• Adblock Plus
  • Ghostery
  • Pentadactyl
  • PwdHash

PwdHash is a nice one. You keep one password in your head and it hashes the password locally based on the domain of the current URL. I store a copy of the hashed password in case the site, e.g., introduces a redirect to a new URL. It's available for Opera and Chromium, but the Opera version isn't as convenient.

Only firefox.

Add-ons:
Adblock Plus
BetterPrivacy
Ghostery
NoScript
RequestPolicy

Does Opera or Chromium have advanced configuration options (about:config in firefox), I don't remember seeing any in Chromium.

rupil said:
Does Opera or Chromium have advanced configuration options (about:config in firefox), I don't remember seeing any in Chromium.

Code:
opera:config

Safari :D (on Mac, I love the bookmark/history preview - so much easier to pick a page out of the history by look rather than page title - you know what it's like - you find some howto or other page you can't remember where and want to go back to it a few weeks later).

If I'm not browsing from my Mac or an iDevice, it is generally Firefox.

Generally don't do much browsing from FreeBSD, Linux or any other platform these days though - they're headless servers only logged into via SSH.

I use Chromium, Firefox and Opera on a daily basis for browsing and website development. I find for personal use and debugging I generally prefer Opera, mostly for its speed.

Hi, please do not forget another browser, which offers many interesting features and extensions. It's called midori a lightweight and fast web browser, which is part of the Xfce project, but can be used everywhere. Some of the features are; support for user scripts and styles, bookmark management, supports HTML5, adblock and private browsing. Of course, this are not all of the midori features. More answers to a various questions can be found here; midori/faq. Probably all of You, already know about midori.

Best regards!

Firefox, Opera, w3m

I usually prefer Firefox with ad-block, hack-the-web, and some other plugins. I have Opera also. The main reason that I usually use Firefox (instead of Opera or Chromium) is that it supports Zoom Text Only.
By the way, hack-the-web, f.k.a. aardvark, is a plugin that you can't live without once you start using it.

Also, I keep w3m and/or links around in case X11 fails. (That way I can still read the FreeBSD Handbook and Google to find out how to fix X11.) :)

srobert said:
By the way, hack-the-web, f.k.a. aardvark, is a plugin that you can't live without once you start using it.

It's an interesting idea, but does not seem to keep the changes the next time the page is shown. Maybe a conflict with NoScript?

Opera without Flash but with Ghostery/Adblock for main browser.
Midori without Flash for viewing stand alone HTM[L] files and as a backup for Opera.
Firefox with Ghostery/Adblock/Flash for everything else that does not work under Opera/Midori or when need for Flash.
I often 'grab' a video from Youtube to watch it locally with cclive from Ports.

... also, most 'bad' things blocked by /etc/hosts file:
% wc -l /etc/hosts
98363 /etc/hosts

Opera with AdBlock for everything, -nomail switch on. I wish there was a command line switch for the bittorrent client, web server, IRC client, the whole world and his dog...
Eh, that's the music of the future.

Chrome on all my devices. I toyed with Opera, but it felt.. clunky. Firefox does too. Good thing there are so many options, so that everyone can use what they like.

Firefox and Seamonkey Tied for first use . Then links2 and testing arora . Opera is an old time favorite . I have high hopes for Seamonkey's continued development .

I use mostly Firefox on my Linux Mint, but there's also Chromium browser installed. On FreeBSD I've used w3m so far. It's a simple, quite good and free browser. I think it is also quite secure, because it doesn't have any unnecessary plugins like Flash. Which also means that it doesn't show any annoying adverts ;)

However, the lack of multimedia is also a drawback. It doesn't show even images. But I like the simplicity a bit. Things shouldn't be made more complicated than what is necessary. And I can even browse and post on this forum with w3m ;)

I'm using firefox on FreeBSD.
firefox is stable on flash based social games.

chromium's networking is too slow on flash player.

Back