where can i get freebsd 9...

It's much less broken than experimental branches (perforce/svn/git) that are from time to time integrated into /head and is expected to work. Occasionally things break even in /stable. But I agree for a first experience there are may be too many issues that'd you waste your time resolving, you'd better start from /release or /releng.

From a description of Debian branches I think it's more close to unstable/sid. But I'm not sure how often things break there.

Wow, d_mon used the Comic Sans font. Speechless.

BTW, the original question has long been answered, hence: solved. New topic? Start new thread. Simple.

lily said:
From a description of Debian branches I think it's more close to unstable/sid

well...i think could be like this:

fbsd 7.3-release = stable(leny) branch
fbsd 8-release = testing(squeeze)
fbsd 8-stable = unstable(sid)
fbsd 9-current = xperimental

comparing to debian...

d_mon said:
well...i think could be like this:

fbsd 7.3-release = stable(leny) branch
fbsd 8-release = testing(squeeze)
fbsd 8-stable = unstable(sid)

comparing to debian...

They aren't direct analogues, but that's not too bad.

Something like:

7.3-RELEASE lenny
8.1-RELEASE
squeeze
8-STABLE
sid

-CURRENT

might be closer, but in reality, debian just uses a pre-packaged kernel (that others have ostensibly tested) & their brand of userland in various states of disorder, where FreeBSD is developed as a kernel-world unit & the 3rd party applications are caveat emptor (sometimes cave canem too), with the various branches being essentially:

-RELEASE = (hopefully) production ready, 3rd party applications are expected to be fully functional here
-STABLE = the API isn't (usually) going to shift under your feet, but it might have some broken areas
-CURRENT = it's supposed to work, but since this is where the real changes go first, it might not (also none of your third party applications are at all guaranteed to work).

d_mon said:
No. There are experimental branches in FreeBSD. Some examples: pjd_zfs in perforce, clangbsd in svn[1]. Private branches (those under /user) are usually not guaranteed to work.

[1] I've omitted git and mercurial examples since they're usually hosted not under freebsd.org domain. And besides gitorious I don't know any place where the repository is shared between several developers.

could be a problem if i use opera 10.60 +, chromium the latest,let's say flux as wm? talking about 9-current...most folks say that is possible no to work some soft on 9...

d_mon said:
most folks say that is possible no to work some soft on 9...
It's a matter of higher probability. Things break occasionally and fixed a few days/weeks after[1]. If you don't like it then /head is not for you.

Besides, kernel is expected to be backwards compatible with userland. So, proprietary blobs compiled for old releases should work on new ones after installing compat libraries (e.g. misc/compat4x).

[1] but some bugs go unnoticed straight to /stable if no one reports ;)

Back