where can i get freebsd 9...

Those are too rarely updated to be useful except when one expects stability out of (doh) -current snapshots. There are daily snapshots with build logs on allbsd.org: http://pub.allbsd.org/FreeBSD-snapshots/. It's the way to go if you expect bleeding edge and you want to test new features that were added a few days (not months) ago.

I don't mean to squash your enthusiasm but if you are having to ask these level of questions, I would really recommend you spend time with a stable release (8.1 was just announced) rather than using the very unstable, might break any moment CURRENT. It's bleeding edge. We really do mean it too.

head == current == version 9 (as of July, 25). I also recommend stable for daily usage for server or desktop. Current is for advanced users who knowns how to get around or test new features and report bugs etc.

well...downloaded pc-bsd 8.1-to install- free but...got problems at boot:

1-boot installer(default)get an screen 'green' distorted x(

2-boot installer with APCI disabled --> enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

7-RUN X in vesa mode --> idem than 2.

what to do?

1... does the green screen go away when you toggle, say,
the caps lock on/off? If so it might be a screensaver.
2... "enter full pathname" (what were the other errors
if any? )
Maybe you should try the pc-bsd forums? They might have
a sticky with screenshots telling the correct sequence.
BTW I installed 8.1-RC2 and it hung at detecting the
hard disk. with a "verbose boot" I discovered that
it was a conflict between the CDR and a pccard in the
laptop, solved by removing the pccard.

what do u talking about? what a screensaver??

after all the boot process seems to start the installer instead appears a screen full of lines...

i'm getting sikl of this BSD's systems...people just say go pc-forums,go free-forums,go x forums,go y forums...

what to put after enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh: TO START THE INSTALLATION?

You may be needing an install guide
*with_screenshots* to proceed.
the web search:
freebsd sysinstall screenshot
turned up a few, one at
http://www.raiden.net/articles.....
..."articles...
...linux/freebsd...
..."my experiences with installing v8..."

about installing freebsd v8.
(I've seen a few other sites
similar, but they are written down
scattered in other notes.) You
can follow one of those guides when
installing and then post about
where exactly the install needs to
proceed from, or any error messages
or questions.

what to put after enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh ??????

ain't got TIME for asking around the web about this situation!

not the same pc than free?

how's possible nobody knows about: enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh???

You should not be asked "enter the full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh" during the installation process. If you are, there is a problem.

What happens if you just hit enter and then type 'exit' at the next prompt? Does the installation continue?

Adam

d_mon said:
what to put after enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh ??????

ain't got TIME for asking around the web about this situation!

not the same pc than free?

how's possible nobody knows about: enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh???

If you ain't got time to look for solutions, then I don't think freebsd is right for you and that you initially asked for the 9-CURRENT source is another indication that you have strayed a bit far from what you can handle.

Obviously something has gone wrong, and the system asks you for the path to your preferred shell or just hit enter for the default shell(/bin/sh). The error message is pretty self explanatory.

Does the MD5 signatures for your downloaded boot iso match that of the one published? Is there something wrong with the cd(ie make another copy/use virtualbox)? Is the iso not extracted correctly or are you not using the correct version for your hardware(ie i386 or amd64 for intel/amd type CPU's).

"enter full pathname of shell" usually means
the operating system did not load enough to
do anything useful, and needs "fixing" to
boot properly into (usual, sysinstall, desktop, etc.)
That is why I suggested following a guide.
You will need patience later on... unless installing
a desktop-ready system. For example, to setup PPP
(dialing a modem)
windows 98... 2 weeks
freebsd 2004 v5.X ... 2 weeks.
is how long those tasks took me.
(Almost as long just this past year setting up
wpa_supplicant.conf)

adamk said:
You should not be asked "enter the full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh" during the installation process. If you are, there is a problem.

What happens if you just hit enter and then type 'exit' at the next prompt? Does the installation continue?

ok...if i hit 'enter' and then type 'exit' the installation continues(talking about boot installer with APCI)but unfortunatly appears a screen with little lines,the same with run X in vesa mode

boot installer(default) leads me to a screen with lines...

talking about 9-CURRENT: it is equivalent to debian unstable(aka 'sid') or testing('squeeze')?

i think is comparable to sid[am i right?]...

As I said above, CURRENT is unstable and possibly broken at any given time. I really don't recommend your first experience with FreeBSD to be CURRENT.

Hmm, where have you even heard about 9?

FreeBSD download page only really mentions 8.1 and PC-BSD is only at 8.1.

Sure, there is "kinda" a 9, but you can think of it as a a development version which is not suitable for the average user, and certainly not for production use.

The same reason why ebay.com is not using Windows Server 2015. (Because it isn't released or supported yet)

My suggestion is have another look at the FreeBSD website and continue from there.

Have fun.

Back